Police shooting: Tragedy on the street

Discussion in 'In the News' started by S&W 40, Jun 1, 2007.

1. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

http://savannahnow.com/node/296193
    When this was reported the other night they said that they were struggling. I hope it's not the way it sounds here, another good LEO in a tight spot. But if it is it is good another BG off the street and a LEO that is not above the law, just like us.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I will wait until more facts come out.

3. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I was wondering how long it would take for this one to get posted here.

Like MP stated, I'll wait for more facts. I don't want to judge anyone based on a media report, but this one looks very bad. I have never attended or taught a firearms class in which such a scenario was not discussed.

4. Malum Prohibitum

It does look bad, but there is a hint that there may have been a struggle going on at the time. So, let's wait and see.

5. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I hope that is the case, but with them moving so fast to charge the officer it looks very, very bad for him.

6. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I sure hope there is more to show for officers benefit. Hopefully something else comes out to help him.

7. Macktee

Macktee New Member

That is truly sad.

I still wish we could go back to the, "Police! Stop or I'll shoot!" days. I believe LEOs should be allowed to shoot scumbags who are running from them. Especially, a known scumbag like this one! Who had been identified by the officer and was being arrested for being a scumbag!

Yeah, yeah. I know. But, I still think it should be allowable. For one thing, it would certainly reduce the number of people who take off running... or driving.

If a cop is trying to arrest you and you know your ass is going to jail followed by several years in prison, what do you have to lose by running away... or driving?

So, they add another change against you.

So, it will run concurrently with the others.

So what?

I'd sure as hell take that very slight risk of longer incarceration against the chance I might just get away! :rant:

8. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Are there any updates on this one?

9. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

1) Cop stops someone open carrying at a not so public gathering.

2) Citizens asks, "Am I free to go?" While turning and briskly walking away.

3) Cop goes, "Bam!" Citizen dead. :cry:

4) Other cops arrive and document "perp" was armed. :shock:

5) First cop says, "The guy was trying to get away, after all he must have been bad, he was armed. I just wanted to go home tonight to my family." :roll:

10. Malum Prohibitum

Well, that is one solution to the open carry problem.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Those days were the fleeing felon rule. That is, this rule only applied if the officer had probable cause to arrest for a felony.

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

lol

13. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

UPDATE - http://new.savannahnow.com/node/399171

14. Malum Prohibitum

Was it intentional? The story does not say.

15. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Peace Officers

Peace Officers charged with doing crimes on the job or related to their duties have a special right to attend the Grand Jury presentment of their case, and they can make a sworn statement to the Grand Jury before that body votes on the proposed indictment. That's probably why although the prosecution was seeking murder charges, the G.J. only came back with manslaughter.

16. blind_shake

blind_shake Active Member

I agree with the driving off. I think at the point the car takes off the police have all right to use force to stop a vehicle asap. Even if it means deadly force. That will make the driver think twice about trying to run from a cop to get out of a speeding ticket and endanger everyone around him.

17. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

Putting police in the role of judge, jury, and executioner is nowhere near the answer to this problem.

When I was an officer, we'd have people that routinely would spot our vehicles and take off running. Either they had done something wrong we were unaware of, or they just wanted to see if we'd chase them. If I saw somebody behind a business at 2am, and he bolts and I give chase, should I be able to cap his ass? What if he's the business owner working late, and thinks I've come about his late child support payment?

Running away from a cop should never be a death sentence.

18. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

Good idea, we should kill as many people as possible over offenses whose penalties are a $100 fine, like speeding. If somebody is spotted littering and runs, we should kill them too. After all, they are showing a wild disregard for authority. Make people live in abject fear of the police, I say!

Do you have any respect at all for human life?

Bad guys run. Cops chase them. That's why we pay the cops. They don't get every one, and that's okay...we don't have to kill every one that might get away. That's the way to totalitarianism, folks.