Police remind Univ. of weapons policy

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Thorsen, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Article found here.

Article follows:

Students who carry weapons on campus - even paintball guns, BB guns or slingshots - will be arrested and charged, according to a campus-wide e-mail sent by University Police Tuesday evening.

"I send a message to students every fall to inform them of the policy," said University Police Chief Jimmy Williamson. "Some students think certain sporting goods are OK on campus, but not knowing the law and making a mistake is not a defense."

Last year, 16 students were arrested on firearm or weapon possession charges.

Campus Contraband

University Police will arrest students who keep or carry the following weapons on campus, regardless of their intentions:

• paintball guns
    • BB guns
    • potato guns
    • air soft guns
    • clubs
    • nunchaku
    • machine guns
    • sawed-off shotguns or rifles
    • biological weapons
    • poison gases
    • hoax devices, such as fake bombs or explosive packages
    • slingshots

The University's policy mirrors state laws, which prohibits using, possessing, manufacturing, distributing, maintaining, transporting or receiving any weapon on campus or at University-sponsored events. Students, employees or visitors who violate the policy will be arrested.

"We show no discretion with arrests. There is no reason for weapons to be on campus," Williamson said. "But a felony charge is serious, so I send the e-mail each year to be informative and proactive."

Firearms, weapons and explosives included in the policy are paintball guns, BB guns, potato guns, air soft guns, clubs, nunchaku, machine guns, sawed-off shotguns or rifles, biological weapons, poison gases and hoax devices such as fake bombs or explosive packages.

"Most cases don't involve malicious intent, but Georgia has one of the toughest possession laws in the 50 states, and it can affect people's lives," Williamson said.

Under the policy, students are not exempt if they carry a valid firearm or concealed weapon permit. However, he said, University employees and visitors are exempt if the weapon is legal to possess under a firearm permit and is kept in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle, usually the glove compartment.

"It is a Constitutional right to carry a weapon to and from your place of business, but it cannot be removed from your vehicle, which is an extension of the home," Williamson said.

"As a student, you choose to be here, and it is a privilege."

Under Georgia law, campus police officers are not prohibited from carrying weapons on campus. More information about the policy can be found on the University Web site at www.police.uga.edu/weapons.

My comments:

Uh sure. I just love being in a government mandated disarmament zone wondering if someone on this 35,000 person campus is about to flip their lid and decided to take out as many people as they can before they go down.

Unfortunately, this is true. Even though I am a 40 year old, former army officer, with probably more time spent training with firearms than most police officers and licensed to carry a firearm by the state I am still ineligible to carry a firearm even in the limited exceptions the law currently allows due to my student status at the university. Makes a lot of sense doesn't it?

First the part that grabbed me right off the bat, "if the weapon is legal to possess under a firearm permit" ..... answer me this question folks, exactly what permit is needed to legally possess a weapon? I need to know because I have never seen this permit.

Anyway, someone correct me if I am wrong on this, but isn't the Police Chief completely incorrect in his interpretation of the law? As I read 16-11-127.1 section (c)(7):

Doesn't this clearly state that with a firearms license you are exempt from the school exclusionary ruling while you are dropping off or picking up a student?

So doesn't that mean a firearms licensed holder could, according to the statute actually enter a school building while carrying a firearm if they were in the process of picking up or dropping off a student?

The "locked compartment" portion of his statement as I see it is also incorrect in that that portion of the statutory exlusions appears to only apply to when someone who does not have a firearms license is involved in picking up or dropping off a student.

If I am reading this correctly, this is a completely seperate exclusion to the statute, seperate and complete from the exclusion for firearms license holders, and said exclusion only applies if the person is again dropping off or picking up a student. It is a more restrictive version of the exclusion given in section (c)(8). Correct?

So it appears to me he has combined and misinterpreted some portions of the statute. Correct? Or I am wrong on this?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

If that were the only statute, sure. But if it is a publicly owned or operated building (rather than a private school), then you must also examine section 127 (the Code Section right before this one).

3. Malum Prohibitum

There is also another exclusion for employees who leave it locked in the car.

4. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the update, Thorsen.

In other news, you're 40? I thought you were at least 5 years younger :shock:

5. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

It sure sounds like to me that the Chief is saying that USG employees and visitors can carry weapons on campus if they are kept locked in your glove box and you possess a GFL. I would like to see the statute on that.

6. Malum Prohibitum

I turn 40 tomorrow.

7. budder

I think Macktee might have a spare cane lying around.

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

[​IMG]

9. GeorgiaGlocker

I thought preteens couldn't join this forum, but somehow budderball slipped through.

10. GeorgiaGlocker

Happy Birthday!!! You still look 39 to me. \:D/

11. budder

Fine by me. I'm really going to enjoy the extra 40 or 50 years I'll live past your death. Non-stop party! :woohoo:

12. GeorgiaGlocker

Budder can now predict how long he will live! You better check things out first budder. Nursing homes have very strict rules about partying.

13. budder

As long as they change out my diapers every couple of hours, I don't care what the rules are!