Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
I know this is a cute attempt at community relationship building, but I think it unconstitutional. I would be angry if stopped for no reasonable suspicion or probable cause.
I agree. And it seems to me there would be less need for such community outreach if we didn't stop people for the sole purpose of fishing for reasonable suspicion or probable cause.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Orin Kerr over at The Volokh Conspiracy agrees, not even remote constitutional:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ce-cant-pull-over-drivers-to-give-them-gifts/

I don't doubt that these programs are well-intentioned, and I commend the police for their instincts to help. It's especially great when the police are handing out gifts that the drivers really need.

But here's the catch: A lot of these stops are unconstitutional. When the police pull over a car, that's a Fourth Amendment "seizure" of the driver, any passengers, and everything inside. To justify that seizure, the police need at least some cause either that a driver committed a traffic violation or that a person in the car is involved in a crime or wanted in connection with a serious crime.

·
:) :) :)
12,566 Posts
What they should do is pull over a car who would otherwise get a ticket and then give them an icecream instead. That would be good community PR.

"Look bro, just slow down. Here have an icecream."

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
When asked why he did it, Chief Lands said that he and Officer Warner, "wanted to try and put some smiles on people's faces."
After said people had already soiled themselves!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
What they should do is pull over a car who would otherwise get a ticket and then give them an icecream instead. That would be good community PR.

I like the sound of that for sure!

(and offer a popsicle for those with milk issues. LOL.)

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts

And in this day and age there would be people protesting that it wasn't fair to the lactose intolerant.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,938 Posts

I wish they had done that when I was stopped for 57 in a 35 zone in Sandy Springs. The ticket cost me $345 that I had put away towards a Sig.

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
Fortunately all crime problems have been solved. But the obesity epidemic continues...

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
a man steals money from another man at the point of a gun. he uses that stolen money to buy himself a car and a bunch of ice cream. he gets paid with the stolen money, to drive the car bought with stolen money around, harassing people under the threat of force, to give them the ice cream he bought with the person's stolen money, in an effort to make the people he steals money from think he's a good, and necessary person.

yes, that's what you want in a society.

·
I watch the watchers
12,885 Posts
"We just wanted to thank you for driving safely, Sir... ... and is that the odor of unburnt marijuana I smell?"

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
O.C.G.A. 16-5-41 (2010)
16-5-41. False imprisonment

(a) A person commits the offense of false imprisonment when, in violation of the personal liberty of another, he arrests, confines, or detains such person without legal authority.

(b) A person convicted of the offense of false imprisonment shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than ten years.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
It's propaganda to boot, they filmed themselves so they could put it out here to show what nice guys they are.

When you give a poor person money, it kills it if you take a picture of you doing it to put in your Facebook account.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts