Police Officer SHOOTS Suspect for Obeying Commands

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

This goes under the subject of only police officers should have guns.

Who is protecting us from our protectors? THis probably ought to go in the LEO Encounters section!

Anyway, watch the video for yourself. LEO orders Air Force Officer (who was passenger in Corvette that ran and then crashed) to stand up. Air Force Officer says something like, "I am in the military" and "I'm unarmed."

"I said, get up!" yells the officer.

The man complies, and then, for no apparent reason, the officer shoots him several times.

Video is here: http://www.local6.com/money/6652276/detail.html

:shock:

2. Malum Prohibitum

The man lived, so the whole story should come out shortly.

Home video cameras are cool. 8)

3. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Yeah I am waiting to see who made the chain of events not line up! Hopefully we hear the actual story and it doenst get pushed under the rug

4. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I think there is a little bit more to this one that meets the eye, but it does look very bad. The police officer claims that he was telling the guy to "shut up" and not to "get up".

That still doesn't explain shooting the guy, and this one is probably coming to a bad end, but don't make assumptions based on what you see in the media on this one when we all bash the media for the way they report other stuff, especially anit-gun stuff.

5. artz

artz New Member

I know in San Bernadino alot of crime is being committed. Maybe the LEO was just skeered ? Don't know......
    What I do know is if the LEO was in the wrong totally...they need to crucify the SOB. :!:

6. thebugman

thebugman New Member

It seems that a certain Air Force Veteran just hit the lottery. :shock:

7. Malum Prohibitum

I have heard that claim, and I have listened to the tape at least 5 or 6 times, and the only time I hear the officer say "shut up" is after he shoots the guy, and then there is the word "the" and an expletive between "shut" and "up."

One more point: In addition to the fact that you can clearly hear him say get up, and then "I said get up!" it is plain that the victim heard the same thing we did because he responds to the repeated command with something like "OK, I'm gonna get up."

Do we really want officers that shoot people for getting up anyway, even if the officer said "shut up?"

The video on the tape is not clear enough to tell whether the guy pulled out a nickel plated Desert Eagle and thus got shot . . . but so far I have not heard anything like this from any source - even the officer.

8. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Please note that I was not excusing the guy. I just don't trust the media although I expect this one to come to a bad end.

Keep in mind that the media never showed Rodney King attacking the LA cops. Granted what they did was wrong and unjustified, but the media cut out the part where actually attacked them.

I've seen the video, and it appears to me that the officer said "get up". I also heared the other guy antagonizing the cop. That definately does not justify shooting the guy, but the media is not showing everything that lead to the stop.

I've been in that position. I've had witnesses to the end of situation ranting and raving against me until they were presented with all of the facts.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Sir, when you shoot someone, what he did 30 minutes before matters not. You will be justified (or not) by what occurs immediately prior to the shooting. That is why the word "imminent" is used in describing what threat is sufficient to allow self defense.

10. Black Ice

Black Ice Member

This was one messed up cop that just got caught on tape, there was no reason to shot that man! none. if he was that scared he should not be wearing a badge...

11. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I'm quite familiar with the legal statutes of this state, and again, I never said the guy was justified. I simply said that there is very likely more to this than the media is showing. I am not trying to pick a fight or flame anyone. I am simply trying to point out that we all bash the media on a second's notice for bias reporting yet we are ready to convict the cop based on what we are seeing in the media.

From what I have seen, the guy severely screwed up, but I'm not willing to convict the guy based on a brief clip being shown by the media's control.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Latest word is the media is no longer running the story because the officer is black, the shooting victim is hispanic, and the California prison system is having huge troubles between blacks and hispanics right now. The media only ran with the story while the races of the participants were unknown (due to the poor visibility on the videotape).

How's that for media bias?

13. Black Ice

Black Ice Member

Im a black man, what do's that have to do with anyhing... i have to agree with you there.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Black Ice, I agree with you. "What does it have to do with anything?"

But for the California (and for that matter, the national) media, it has everything to do with it. Let us say the officer was white and the shooting suspect was black . . .

Well, we do not have to guess. Which was worse - this incident, or a beating (Rodney King)? Which one made more news?

The same thing happens all the time. If a story fits the media's narrow little prism, they promote it. If it does not, then they do not.

By the way, sometimes it works the other way. Chandra Levy, this girl in Aruba, the pregnant woman out in California . . . when is the last time you saw a story about a pretty young black girl who came up missing? And, if the story was aired, did it become a national sensation for many months on every news channel?

The Matthew Shepard story was aired everywhere and played up as a big homosexual-hate-is-everywhere story, while the story of two homosexuals who raped murdered a straight teenager was buried. The two occurred at around the same time. Do you know the name of the straight teenager? Me, either, and it is because of the news media that we know the name of the one but not the other. It turns out later that most of what was run in the story originally was false anyway (at least one of Shepard the murderers was himself a homosexual and the killing was over drugs, not a "homosexual hate crime").

So, anyway, race, sexual preference, political party affiliation, and other things do matter, at least to those who bring us the news. Subconsciously, some of that has to filter in every once in a while, which is what they are hoping.

15. Malum Prohibitum

Sorry. I did not mean to get the thread off track, but this issue hits a nerve . . .

Black Ice is right, it should not matter.

16. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I just saw them talk about this on Fox News (H&C). They had a former detective on as a guest to talk about this shooting, but the guy admitted that he hadn't even seen the video. The detective kept going on about the fact that the suspect was shot three times was the most troubling fact at this point because officers are trained to "shoot to stop not shoot to kill". :?

Funny ... I was thinking that the most serious fact working against the officer to date is that a man, with no charges pending against him, is recovering from gun shot wounds.

The video they had on Fox News was much better; looked like it had been cleaned up a bit. I wish I could watch that video again because it looked like the guy may have started moving toward the officer.

17. Malum Prohibitum

18. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

#-o

19. Malum Prohibitum