Police: Man Goes On Shooting Rampage, Kills Neighbor

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Sharky, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Police: Man Goes On Shooting Rampage, Kills Neighbor

POSTED: 4:49 pm EDT August 27, 2007
    UPDATED: 11:34 pm EDT August 27, 2007

ROME, Ga. -- A shooting rampage in a remote neighborhood in Rome has left one man dead, a schoolteacher fighting for her life and many wondering what started it all.

Police believe a 36-year-old man fired some 200 shots from an AK-47 Sunday night, peppering nearby houses with bullets. Officials said when some neighbors came to see what had started it all, they were shot.

"My brother has multiple sclerosis and he's bedridden and my mother was at his side and looking at where the bullet holes went, it is quite amazing. (It's) just that the angles were such that they weren't affected," said Jeff Wigley. Wigley's mother and brother were home when the bullets began flying in their neighborhood. The Wigley's small home was riddled with bullets.

"It was an AK-47. Right now we've counted that there were over 157 shots in this one house," said Sgt. Gary Conway, pointing at the Wigley's home.

Police said the gunman was the Wigley's neighbor, 36-year-old John Clayton Corley.

No one knows why he started shooting, but Corley emptied clip after clip from his AK-47.

All the noise and gunshots attracted Corley’s other neighbor Jeffrey Christian. Christian's daughter says the two barely knew each other.

"Haven't talked to each other in many years. He hadn't lived down there in a long time," said Jeffrey's daughter, Hope Christian.

When asked what happened, Hope Christian said, "I don't know. I guess he just came outside. They said he'd been having rages and such but I guess he just took it out on all the neighbors and my dad just happened to step up and be in the wrong place."

Jeffrey Christian was killed Sunday.

Christian, shot several times in the chest, died in his driveway. His girlfriend, Hayes Avery -- a schoolteacher and mother of a young son -- was shot while behind a truck some 80 yards away and critically wounded.

Authorities said Corley, out of ammo for his AK-47 but still holding a shotgun, gave up when Rome police arrived. Neighbors said Corley is a military veteran who had been tormented for years by "something."

Officials said Corley’s neighborhood rampage left behind grief and questions.

"There's been a lot of tears and I got a lot of phone calls today. It's real shocking. I haven't really caught onto it yet," said Hope Christian.

Police said they are investigating and are looking into where Corley got the AK-47 and ammunition. Officials believe over 200 shots were fired.

Corley is being held at the Floyd County Jail and has been charged with murder. Officials said more charges are likely.

2. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I can see it now, AK will be a banned civilian gun to own! I hope not, I really want one.

3. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Time to buy an AK.

4. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Wow, what an awful thing to do. I shot my AK for the first time on Saturday and now realize just how powerful a round the little 7.62x39 really is. Lets see how big a story this becomes.

5. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Probably big.
    The AK is the other quientisential evil gun. Responsible for millions upon millions of innocent deaths world-wide. OMG! and anyone here in the US of A can get one at their local gun shop/show. And ammo is just a click away. $400 will get you 2000 rnds from a variety of online stores.

This will be a perfect opportunity for a nice anti gun dem to jump on for the upcoming pres nomination. Gotta get some more guns banned. Can't have any semi-auto "assault rifles" available to the public.

I'm glad I already have mine. If this should seriously take off I might just pick up another one (two, three??) & have it put up for an investiment. If I get a pre-2008 ban gun I should be able to double my money on it in a few years. Let's hope it blows over. Let's hope this guy doesn't have a GFL. Even if he doesn't the media will likely decide to jump on the wagon. Of course no one will point out that if a neighbor had had an AK of their own (or hell even a .22) they could have ended the matter quickly. I'd like more details on what happened to the one guy. Did he just run up & try to stop the BG empty handed? Personally I think that if my neighbor was standing around on his lawn in a residential area and was fireing off round after round of 7.62 INTO random homes & cars I believe I would not take myself across the way and ask what's up. Rather I'd be on the phone with the popo, hiding behind my gun safe and trying to see what was happening. Maybe keeping the guy in the rifle sites? That's a hard one to say but if neighbor bob was burning mags into homes where other neighbors (and kids) were at and no one was "fighting" him I think I would have to start trying to take him down. I wonder if I'd be justified when the cops showed up. :roll:

No matter what happens this is a terrible thing for those people and for us legal & sane gun types. Say a prayer for these folks tonight.

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Why would it matter exactly where he got it? To check records and make sure a background check was run properly? Wouldn't his name and other such identifying info be enough for this? Or is this just to add another gun shop to Jesse's list? :roll:

7. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Well if the guy was on weekend furlow from the local prison or funny farm then where he got a gun might matter. Otherwise I agree. If this guy has been mostly normal up till now then he wasn't doing anything wrong by owning one and all the ammo he wants. At least he wasn't doing anything wrong right up till the point he snapped and started shooting into homes.

8. tj2000

tj2000 Guest

So this begs the question; if this had happened on your street to one of your neighbours close by, would you have been able to stop this guy and what would you have time to use?

:sheep:

9. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I have a new AK underfolder and my trusty CZ 9mm...both are close enough that I'd have time to get them.

I think that would help me help my neighbors.

10. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I think I would NOT be using the Ak though. I wouldn't want any chance of my shots being confused with the ones he was making. Guess it's have to be the .22 or 12ga slugs. Most likely the .22 to the noggin.

11. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I don't know what kind of shot you are, but if the guy's running around, I'd prefer to use a shotgun or bigger rifle, COM.

12. Ashe

Ashe Active Member

I could grab my AR and go to the second floor of the house, from there I can see the entire street in my neighbor hood and most of the backyards on my side if the street., Living at the top of a hill is nice. I've spent days wishing I could shoot from my window to the bottom of the street which is 600 yards away. It would make a nice rifle range if all those pesky people and houses were not there.

13. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Well circumstances would dictate. I'm not a bad shot but I'm not great either. If the guy was bobbing & weaving all over then yeah, the shot gun it would be. I don't picture it as happening that way though (don't ask me why). I picture this guy standing in the middle of his yard yelling at the world & just shooting until it goes clcik & then pulling another mag out of the kroger bag at his foot, slapping it home & charging the bolt & shooting at a different house. Probably would make an easy target. Who knows how it really went down. Guy could have been crawling through the dirt and rolling around like a ninja or something for all we know.

14. budder

Yeah, if he was just standing there and not running around the house like a moron (as I had pictured it), the .22 rifle is an excellent choice. If you ha da suppressed one, you'd be able to miss a couple of times without him noticing, too! :D

15. tace

tace New Member

So, I am guessing a suppressed .22 is your next gun?

16. budder

Nah, but a an AAC Aviator will be my next (first) NFA purchase :D

17. AV8R

AV8R Banned

check.

18. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

+1

19. M249

M249 New Member

I keep Betty close by. 55 grains of 5.56 x 45 mm FMJ goodness traveling at over 700 m/s will stop Mr. AK shooter.

This is terrible. I cannot, for the life of me, understand why some asshat decides he or she should randomly take the lives of their fellow human beings. Unbelievable.

20. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Exactly!

Go to the high ground and grab a rifle.