Police/LEO as witness in court.. armed?

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Fallschirmjäger, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I know LE is exempt per 16-11-130 from the list of unauthorized places but I was unsure about an officer called to be a witness or attending court as a spectator. Would Officer Friendly be allowed to be armed, while a court spectator at the trial of someone accused of raping his dog and kissing his wife?

My thought was that the Sheriff's Courthouse Security Plan (if such exists) would disallow such, but I'm unsure.

2. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

HB 292 added a paragraph that provided active duty LEO in uniform can carry in courthouse despite security plan provided by 15-16-10.

I would say that while not in performance of official duty (i.e. paid to be there), Officer Friendly can carry only at the discretion of the security plan, just like the coroner.

3. rankhornjp

rankhornjp Active Member

I don't know if its a law or rule or policy, but I used to go to court a lot in Lowndes County(work related) and the cops that were testifying weren't armed. They wouldn't even wear their duty belt.

4. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

That's pretty much what I figured - I have family in the probation department of another county and is required to put his sidearm in a locker when entering the courtroom. I had to check as I didn't want to correct someone's post without double-checking.