Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was visiting my wife in Memphis, Tn. today 7-16-2016 she is on a contract job for the Navy and we went to Wal-Mart and they had a police vehicle in front with 2 cops sitting in it. I always open carry a H&K VP40. Me and my wife was walking by the police car talking about buying another car and I heard "Hey can I talk to you for a minute?" I turn around and went to his window only a couple feet away and said "Yes?" He ask if I had a ccw and I said yes. He then ask if I would cover it up with my shirt because people might get scared and call the police. I said no because it goes against what I believe in and I am an open carry advocate. He then had a look of shock on his face and thought for a second and then said "Just go on" I said " Thanks for what you do." and left. We went shopping and no one ran screaming or looked panicked or anything we left and went out to eat dinner at Chic-fil-a. The cops where Black and I'm white FWIW.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Perhaps he wasn't used to a citizen not taking his suggestion?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Since in TN you must show a permit if asked by LEO, there are some who believe that the legislature really wanted the state to be CC only, but did not have the will to make the law that strict, so instead they added a wrinkle to the law that "encourages" concealed carry. I think that sentiment has bled over to some LEO. In other words, they know it is legal but they would much rather not have to deal with OC.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funny thing is he did not ask to see it he just ask if I had one.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,938 Posts
Since in TN you must show a permit if asked by LEO, there are some who believe that the legislature really wanted the state to be CC only, but did not have the will to make the law that strict, so instead they added a wrinkle to the law that "encourages" concealed carry. I think that sentiment has bled over to some LEO. In other words, they know it is legal but they would much rather not have to deal with OC.
This. The MPD very much discourages OC.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
I think if TN police ask if you are carrying, you must inform them.

But does the law really require you to show the license?

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
MPD certainly didn't like it when I openly carried at the Memphis Zoo earlier this year. This is a city owned property legal to carry at, but they threatened to arrest me for trespass if I continued my visit there armed. I was not given the option to conceal.

Fortunately, my visit had practically concluded. I was CC most of the time, and chose to OC to test whether MPD would uphold the city's illegal violation of state preemption.

This. The MPD very much discourages OC.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Was visiting my wife in Memphis, Tn. today 7-16-2016 she is on a contract job for the Navy and we went to Wal-Mart and they had a police vehicle in front with 2 cops sitting in it. I always open carry a H&K VP40. Me and my wife was walking by the police car talking about buying another car and I heard "Hey can I talk to you for a minute?" I turn around and went to his window only a couple feet away and said "Yes?" He ask if I had a ccw and I said yes. He then ask if I would cover it up with my shirt because people might get scared and call the police. I said no because it goes against what I believe in and I am an open carry advocate. He then had a look of shock on his face and thought for a second and then said "Just go on" I said " Thanks for what you do." and left. We went shopping and no one ran screaming or looked panicked or anything we left and went out to eat dinner at Chic-fil-a. The cops where Black and I'm white FWIW.
Were you at the Wal Mart that is near the base? If so, that's not the friendliest area, so I would probably OC as well. I give you kudos for thanking the cop for what he does. A lot of people have it "out" for cops today and when you add in a bad attitude with OC, well, it just makes us all look bad.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,160 Posts
I cannot attest to accuracy or currentness of below. But that site is generally pretty well on point.

Nemo

I think if TN police ask if you are carrying, you must inform them.

But does the law really require you to show the license?
Handgunlaw.us

For TN

http://handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf

Must Inform Officer Immediately on Contact By Law?

“NOâ€

39-17-1351

(n) (1) Except as provided in subdivision (n)(2), a permit issued pursuant to this section shall be good for eight (8) years and shall entitle the permit holder to carry any handgun or handguns that the permit holder legally owns or possesses. The permit holder shall have the permit in the holder's immediate possession at all times when carrying a handgun and shall display the permit on demand of a law enforcement officer.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
My understanding is that you have no duty to inform, although apparently some LEOs think it is "rude" to not tell them you are carrying when pulled over. That should be less of an issue since TN relatively recently passed unlicensed car carry, so they should assume anyone they stop could be carrying. As the link that Nemo posted shows, you do have to show your permit upon demand of a LEO.

Since the permit/license is a defense to the charge of carrying a weapon with the intent to go armed, then theoretically you could open carry past a line of cops, and each one could demand to see the permit as you pass, just because it is legal for them to do so, and your choice is to comply or face arrest for illegally carrying a weapon.

In practical applications, most LEOs wouldn't do that. I suspect that they actually only check permits if you were caught doing something else illegal. For example, soon after they passed state-wide park carry (previously local governments could opt out), I openly carried a full-size 1911 in a local park. I was passed by rangers several times, but they did not seem to care. However, as the law exists, it has tremendous potential for abuse to harass open carriers.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Were you at the Wal Mart that is near the base? If so, that's not the friendliest area, so I would probably OC as well. I give you kudos for thanking the cop for what he does. A lot of people have it "out" for cops today and when you add in a bad attitude with OC, well, it just makes us all look bad.
I was at the one in Cordova on Germantown road.

·
:) :) :)
12,566 Posts
"What is a ccw?"

Yes, I would have asked that just for the fun of it. (cause technically no such thing exists in GA)

Edit: Derp, nm I see this didn't happen in GA.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts