Polaner Fruit Spread Now Can Only Be Had With Fiber

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by mountainpass, Oct 1, 2010.

1. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Everyone knows I like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Well my favorite choice for jelly used to be Polaner Fruit Spread. But they now only offer it with Fiber added. Well the fiber is an additive Fibersol:

digestion resistant maltodextrin Also known as Fibersol a joint venture between Archer Daniels Midland and Matsutani Chemical Industry

http://www.adm.com/en-US/products/food/ ... fault.aspx

Here is the patent for it Indigestible Dextrin: http://www.patents.com/indigestable-dex ... 64652.html
    "An indigestible dextrin characterized in that the dextrin is prepared by heat-treating potato starch with addition of hydrochloric acid...."

Hydrochloric acid, are they serious? No more of this stuff please. If I want fiber I'll use Metamucil, or eat some twigs.

mountainpass just wants a simple fruit spread. :soapbox:

2. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Same stuff your stomach makes on it's own, and very necessary for digestion. Won't hurt ya'. Jeff. :wink:

3. mountainpass

That's easy for you to say living down on the farm, I bet your wife made you some blackberry jam(probably enough to see you through the winter). I just saying why are all these companies adding stuff?

4. jsmn4vu

jsmn4vu New Member

Because most of us no longer live on the farm, and can use the added stuff.

5. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

I'm right there with you, man. I saw that on the jar and said... now who came up with the idea to add fiber to preserves? Isn't there enough in the bread already? And calcium in orange juice? Is it so hard to just leave well enough alone?

6. mountainpass

It wasn't added on the farm.
    Yall are missing the point I don't want anything added to my food. Orange juice used to just be orange juice, now I have to stand in the store and read every carton.

Now they are adding high fructose corn syrup to honey.

7. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I wish. My wife grew up on a farm in Nebraska, and I don't think she ever made jam or jelly. That's a crime, isn't it? She is a decent cook though, and a keeper.

Drink Coke? Try dropping a nail in a Coke overnight. Never done it, but I'm told it'll make you give that up too. :lol:

8. mountainpass

Funny Honey
    I'm betting the fiber additive in the jelly is less expensive than what it replaces.

9. mountainpass

NuVal
    bold added

This is becoming clearer.

10. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

It would be nice to know the source of the fiber. Some of our food fiber comes from the fine cotton fibers gleaned from cotton seeds. Yuck! I'd be more concerned about that than the acid.

11. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

When I worked for a company that disposed of/recycled hazardous materials I was amazed by some of the toxic wastes/left over materials that I picked up from food companies.

One of my favorites was the spearmint flavoring from Wrigleys that went past it's "use by" date. It was classified as flammable.

12. jsmn4vu

jsmn4vu New Member

:lol: indeed. The acidity of soft drinks is nothing compared to the hydrochloric acid your body produces in your stomach, which has a pH of around 2.

13. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

The key part here being "prepared with" just because hydrochloric acid is used in the preparation of something doesn't mean that the acid forevermore becomes a part of that product. You might be surprised at the seemingly deadly chemical that are used to prepare and process foods yet don't become a part of the food themselves.

I have dropped a nail into Coke overnight, and Pepsi too. The results are as impressive as the 'flechettes for self-defense' idea.

14. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

Why would they add that to honey? Seriously? Stuff is the magic food of nature....naturally sweet, has some good stuff in there that will keep you from getting sick, and it literally will last forever if sealed properly.

15. livesounder

livesounder New Member

High oil content - made that way by Mother Nature, though concentrated by ???

16. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

The flavoring is made by extracting alcohol from the spearmint leaves. The spearmint alcohol is very flamable.

17. livesounder

livesounder New Member

The leaves have no natural alcohol content. Alcohol is, after all - being a volatile - highly evaporative. Alcohol IS used in the extraction process, however.

(As I can attest after having made many, many, many a mint julep).

18. pml

pml Active Member

Wow, what would be the point of all that? I watch what I eat pretty closely, I never though to look out for stuff like that.

19. mountainpass

cornstarch
    I guess I'm buying Smuckers.