Poker Parlor

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by XDMWarrior, Dec 15, 2010.

1. XDMWarrior

XDMWarrior New Member

Where can I find the laws that govern poker parlors and gambling and such? Nevermind I found them.There was a major sting down here in Dublin over the last few days. We have a number of the Ingine owned stores closed off with police tape. It seems they were operating illegal poker machines and paying out cash.

I do know that poker as in texas holdem is not held by the courts to be gambling since it requires SKILL vs just the luck of the draw. What would stop a person from opening up a poker parlor in GA. Why should I have to continue to ride to Jacksonville, JAsper, or Ocala FL to play poker? Besides, I don't know hardly any of the big wheels around Laurens county that isn't involved in a decent sized game. So why should the state not make some revenue off of it. The GA Lottery is the biggest gamble we have in GA with the lowest chance of return. It is pure luck if your number happens to fall.

Off topic-- I found out I cannot get the Hope Grant and Tuition Assistance because according to the GA NG, the money comes from the same place. NOT. They claim the TA is state money, but it comes from the FED in the filter down process. I have been buying lottery tickets for years. I have yet to get 1 dime from the Hope scholarship. I also hear that they are going broke. It is time to clean house at the GA Lottery Corp. They are robbing millions from the education system it was intended for.

So back on topic, how can I open a legal Poker Parlor? Pay off enough politicians, right?

2. XDMWarrior

XDMWarrior New Member

I found this. Is GA guilty of violating its on laws.

16-12-26

(a) A person who knowingly prints, publishes, or advertises any lottery or other scheme for commercial gambling, or who knowingly prints or publishes any lottery ticket, policy ticket, or other similar device designed to serve as evidence of participation in a lottery commits the offense of advertising commercial gambling.

(b) A person who commits the offense of advertising commercial gambling shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of a high and aggravated nature.

3. XDMWarrior

XDMWarrior New Member

16-12-21.

(a) A person commits the offense of gambling when he:

(1) Makes a bet upon the partial or final result of any game or contest or upon the performance of any participant in such game or contest;

(2) Makes a bet upon the result of any political nomination, appointment, or election or upon the degree of success of any nominee, appointee, or candidate; or

(3) Plays and bets for money or other thing of value at any game played with cards, dice, or balls.

(b) A person who commits the offense of gambling shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

4. MyFred

MyFred Banned

Give the government their "cut".....

5. XDMWarrior

XDMWarrior New Member

Well I go to Vegas, Biloxi, the Bahamas, and FL to gamble along with hundreds if not thousands of other Georgians. Why should we continue to let that money go out of state when it could stay here. If the state can sponsor gambling i.e. GA Lottery, why can't we have a legal poker parlor.

I did go back and look at a NC case where a judge ruled Poker was a game of skill, but the NC CoA, overturned it stating it was mostly a game of chance. Oh well. It is a crap shoot every time we vote a new scumbqg into office.

6. MyFred

MyFred Banned

Don't forget, you are in the Bible belt. No alcohol on Sunday, no gambling, no lots of other stuff not in keeping with local beliefs. Personally, I don't like poker. I don't like the lottery either, but poker does require lots more skill than the lottery. I suspect that people that play poker are too smart to play the lottery. Bottom line is that even the Lottery was abhorred until the state government found a way to get money out of it.

7. mb90535im

mb90535im Well-Known Member

Not sure where you got this information, but Texas Holdem being played for money in GA is absolutely illegal gambling.

8. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

"I suspect that people that play poker are too smart to play the lottery."

According to the OP, he plays BOTH the lottery AND poker......even though for some reason he can't get the HOPE.

9. XDMWarrior

XDMWarrior New Member

And your point is. I said I can't get the HOPE and Tuition Assistance because the GA NG says the money comes from the same place. TA comes from the fed.

10. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

XDM,
    This is your quote
    "I have been buying lottery tickets for years. I have yet to get 1 dime from the Hope scholarship."

That is where I got it from.....

11. XDMWarrior

XDMWarrior New Member

But Sheriff, I asked what was your point? What are you trying to say that I am not comprehending? Do you understand what I was stating about NG policy on not getting HOPE and TA, because the funds supposedly come from the same place?