point shooting

Discussion in 'Training' started by gunsmoker, Aug 6, 2017.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

The other day I did some backyard practice with a .177 air pistol (slow and accurate shooting), and on a whim I decided to try one shot at a 6" round balloon HIP SHOOTING from 10 yards.

Popped it on the first try.

Set up another at 20 yards / 60 feet. Blew that one up a bit fuller, maybe 8" diameter.

Nicked it and made it move!

This is holding the gun down at belly button level, not chest level.

I do quite a bit of practice point-shooting through dry firing with my S&W .38 snubby with laser grips, BUT that gun is so much smaller than the big 5" barreled pellet pistol I was using now, I didn't think the skills would transfer over.

Who else practices point shooting, without using any sights?

P.S. Pic is not me, nor did I take it. It's just some random internet photo showing about how I held my gun.

Attached Files:

2. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

I tried it a few times. Not something I ever practiced. Never could hit anything.
    Bill Jordan shows how it's done.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOeEAY3nNKk[/ame]

3. Feral

Feral Active Member

I have on occasion when shooting somewhere that I can do it safely. I was surprisingly accurate.

4. rjinga

rjinga Member

What Feral said.

5. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Same. Definitely a shooting style to practice considering the likely self-defense shooting scenarios that one might find themselves in. Most scenarios will have your target easily within point-shooting distance. Point shooting and C.A.R. make solid additions to any shooting practice.

6. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

I can point shoot well with my M57. Not well at all with the others.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Did you fan the hammer with your left hand?

8. ken grant

ken grant New Member

I do it all the time but not just from the hip . I start at the hip and then move up to mid-chest , shoulder level ,chin level , mouth level and finish at nose level . All depending on distance and size of target .
    My favorite drill is to scatter fired shot shells on the berm , low, high , left and right. Draw and point shoot at them from the different levels I use above at about 3 to 8 yards.
    Yes I do pick them up afterwards and save them for the next time .
    I hit a few , make a few move and miss a lot but always close enough to defend myself against them .
    I use an Air Soft copies of my pistols at home in the back yard and do the same drills but mostly with tennis balls .
    At the range I mostly use .22 LR Conversion Kits for my pistols ( have 1 or 2 for every pistol I own) and sometimes the full caliber to keep being used to the louder noise and more recoil .
    I mostly fire single shots at each draw but do add in double taps randomly .

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  9. GeorgeShootaire

GeorgeShootaire Site Supporter

Yeah that's not PS. That's shooting from the hip. A little different...