Pocket carry bad for mags?

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by 69953, Jan 7, 2011.

1. 69953

69953 Guest

Lately I've been carrying a spare mag loose in my back pocket (I've been too lazy to make a holder for it). Has anyone had problems with mags caused by sitting on them in a pocket?

2. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I do it everyday, never had an issue. Eventually they do build-up a little lint in them.

3. ARMT Guy

ARMT Guy Ordinary Average Guy

I feel that it's bad for them.

Forget about the dirt/lint/who-knows-what-else that gets into them. Throw in all the other various things we put in our pockets like change, ticket stubs, food, gum, etc, etc, etc that will at the very least scratch up the finish on the mags and make them more prone to rust.

What about when those various pocket items somehow make their way into the mag?

What if you need that mag in a hurry, but you end up digging through keys and other crap that's residing all around that mag down in you pocket?

Even if you dedicated a pocket just for a mag, its still slower to get to than a belt mounted magazine pouch.

What if you're wearing different pants with pockets in different locations or are smaller, for example?

The magazine is the heart of you semi-auto pistol. Take care of it. Why stuff it somewhere down in a pocket? Do you carry your pistol in your pocket without a holster, too?

Something like a belt mounted magazine pouch is inexpensive and keeps your mags secured in the same, easy to access place on your belt.

4. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Mags bouncing around in my car's glove box unload themselves, takes about a week for all 7 to come out. Does that happen in a pocket ?

I fixed it with some of that bumpy rubber mat they sell for drawers and kitchen cabinet shelves.

5. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

I think the worst I've heard was a popped plastic floorplate. From a physics standpoint, you are more likely to damage a magazine by dropping it on concrete than merely sitting on it.

6. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

You might strip it down and clean it when you clean the gun.

7. JMan

JMan New Member

I do this , never a single issue with rust,or anything . Never dirt with anything either but some dust , but never packed full to cause a problem.But I also don't sweat like a pig and cause my mags to get soaked with body fluids or anything else to cause rust.

8. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

I carry my spare mags in pocket only, but am careful not to stick anything in there with them. Just a leather wallet to the outside to break up their outline.

9. jmathis84

jmathis84 New Member

I alwyas use mag holders. I was always paranoid about lint or somehow it getting dented and not cycling when i need it.

10. Phil1979

Man, I gotta rethink this carrying of mags in my pocket. Out of curiousity I emptied one of my mags a little while ago, and a blue denim dust bunny nearly big enough to bite off my finger fell out from under the third round. Yikes! :shock:

Open to y'all's suggestions for a good (and cheap) dual mag holder for CZ full-size mags.

11. misawa

misawa New Member

Mag holder is preferred, but I've carried and practiced several times with a pocketed mag. I stopped carrying the spare in my back pocket, though, and dedicate my front left pocket. The jeans I wear typically have roomy front pocket mouths, so snagging-potential is decreased. If I'm wearing a jacket, I'll put it in that pocket too. I haven't had dust/lint/chewing gum bunnies yet, but I also keep that pocket clear of anything buy fingernail clippers and a pen style flashlight.

I should add that this is only when I'm carrying my smaller "summer" gun, a Bersa .380. I have a mag pouch for my main carry pistol, a Walther P99.

12. jmathis84

jmathis84 New Member

Phil i found a good one from Gould and Goodrich for my 1911 when i had it. I got it from Forsyth county pawn. I think it was about 30 bucks. It was leather an dheld the mags securly

13. Phil1979

Thanks JM. They make some nice stuff: http://www.gouldusa.com/products/index.php

I wound up ordering a nylon dual-mag pouch from Amazon.

14. jmathis84

jmathis84 New Member

I had one of those nylon ones to hold my range mags for my G19. It did what i wanted. Mine had the plastic buckle and worked great for its purpose.

15. ARMT Guy

ARMT Guy Ordinary Average Guy

Fobus makes acceptable and inexpensive polymer mag pouches.

For something in leather, take a peek around here:

http://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_p ... ex&cPath=9

16. budone1967

budone1967 Die Hard GCO Recruiter

I carry in a cheap nylon Passport mag holder I paid $11 for it at Pannells a couple years ago and it still works fine. It's quick access and stays put on my belt.

17. ET.

ET. Active Member

"Hey big boy, is that an extended double stacked mag in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

18. dunkel

dunkel New Member

I have a Gerber belt pouch I use for my spare 220 mag. And now that the weather is cooler, I wear a leather jacket with a small cell phone pocket on the inside that also fits a 220 mag. If I'm not wearing the jacket, I'll still have the Gerber pouch and just throw the extra in my back pocket.

19. frankr

frankr Active Member

I carry my magazine in a cheap, nylon cell phone pouch. Added benefit is it looks like a cell phone in a pouch!

20. speeddemon40

speeddemon40 New Member

I got tired of adjusting the mag flapping around in my back pocket so I talked to Doug at Bear Creek Holsters since I liked his back pocket holster for the LCP so much.

This is what we came up with

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I carry it in my back left pocket and I can hardly tell its there. The back side of the flap is rough so it stays put when drawn.

This is my EDC setup

[​IMG]