Plywood target stands?

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by Cavediver, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Cavediver

Cavediver Member

I'm working on some target stands for the GCO Fall Lunch & Shoot.
    Does anyone see a problem with using plywood for the vertical arms? I'm guessing it'll splinter a little worse than pine 1x2's, but I've got access to a lot of free plywood scrap.

2. tony218

tony218 New Member

how big are these scraps you speak of?
    i may have another use for them.

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I'm feeling too lazy to go through the effort right now. Bernies has 1x2 framed IPSC target stands for $14.99. I'm just going to get one of those.

4. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Exactly what is a Bernie's? I am too lazy too. I don't keep scraps laying around so by the time I buy materials and spend a few hours getting them and building something I might as well buy a stand. How to the paper targets attach to these you speak of? Would I need to cut cardboard as a backing or what? The only thing I am used to is the metal stands at the ARC outdoor range. They are metal framed with grooves you just slide down a pre-cut piece of cardboard into. Then staple your paper target directly to the cardboard.

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I used PVC pipe and 1- 1x2 cut in half. I don't aim for the posts. Made it through one range trip, no holes anywhere. The only thing I have to replace every time is the cardboard backing and targets. If anyone wants pictures, I can get them. I built it based on something I saw on another site. The only difference is the length of the individual pipe pieces.

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Bernies is a store in Lilburn. They have safes, a bunch of airsoft, some mags and accessories, and a little . The target holders are framed out of 1x2 pine with legs and feet. There is cardboard stapled to the from of it. For IPSC/IDPA you would shoot the cardboard target, but for me I'll staple a normal target to the front of the cardboard. They are similar to the ones below, but 1x2 not 2x4.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs29.htm

7. VolGrad

Interesting.....I will make sure I don't have any scraps at home tonight.

8. Cavediver

Cavediver Member

Tony, it's mostly long narrow stuff and odd cutoffs.
    This is what I had in mind.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'd guess it'll take about 20 minutes to cut and assemble each one, leaving the uprights to be screwed in on-site. I can probably do a half-dozen in an hour (if I can round up enough materials).

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

How permanent is that one though? I'm in a car, so the PVC pops apart and it's easy to transport (just tied it up with some rope and I'm good to go.)

10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

On the ones that are used for the IPSC matches at Bullseye, the uprights are not permanently attached to the base. That way they can be taken down for storage.

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Oh, ok. Yea, if just the uprights were taken out of mine, it would still be pretty bulky.

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

What I'm wondering is, can I hinge the uprights? Hinge them 1/2 way up, one fowards and the other backwards. That way I could fold them for storage and transport, and a cardboard target backer stapled to them when up would keep them up for use.

13. Cavediver

Cavediver Member

You could probably get away with that. It would be kind of long...
    Maybe make them fold to the same side and add a little eye-hook catch to help keep them in position (standing up).

14. tony218

tony218 New Member

those won't work for what i had in mind, but, i do
    have 4 or 5 stands that i built for the last cookout
    that i will be bringing for anyone to use. all i need
    is one stand.

15. Cavediver

Cavediver Member

I nailed one together last night, it looks like it will work fine. I also cut out parts for another 6 or so bases. If anyone wants one, let me know. I'd be happy to make as many of these as we need, but I will need some help getting them down there. Our car isn't quite big enough...

Adam5, I live in Lilburn and work in Tucker. If you want to hook up before the 17th and grab a couple of these, please let me know. I'm probably going to go to American Classic at lunch one day next week as well. I can also stop by Bernies and pick up a few of the cardboard IDPA targets (if I don't figure out how to make them here from scraps).

16. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Let me know when you are going to Am Classic. My office is 5 minutes from there. I can meet you there, grab a few of the stands, and bring them on the 17th. I have plenty of room on my SUV.

17. Cavediver

Cavediver Member

Will do. It'll probably be Wednesday, a bit after the normal "lunch rush"; maybe 1pm? I'll get back with you next week when I know for sure.

18. VolGrad

I built a target stand today. It isn't the prettiest thing I've ever seen but it will definitely work for next weekend. It is really similar to the design CAVEDIVER posted earlier. I used an old 2x4 I found in the barn and cut it in two pieces for a base. I bought a couple of pieces of 1x2 for the stand part. I have a couple of cardboard boxes I will cut to fit tomorrow afternoon. Also bought a new box of staples. Should be good to go. Don't anyone laugh at my stand, remember I will be armed. I think my almost 4 yr old girl is proving herself to be a tomboy. She was a big help.

19. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

And thanks to Glock, it's not the ugliest thing you've ever seen, either!

20. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I bought a sign frame at Lowe's for $13 or $14. Made of small angle iron with pointed ends so it should pound into the ground easily. May be a little short, but I think I can live with that. It has holes punched around the perimeter, so some cardboard and wire ties will hold the targets in place nicely. I think. Even if I hit the frame, it probably won't be the end of it.

Last time, I used 1"x2" framing lumber and blew it completely away in no time. I also learned to use two side posts and NOT one center post...

Oh well, should be fun. There should also be several thousand political yard signs available that would work rather well.

CYA next Saturday!

:pistol: :rifle: