Plumber referral for Alpharetta/Duluth area?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Editingfx, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Editingfx

Editingfx New Member

Just noticed a water stain on the ceiling under a tub on the 2nd floor.... though there's a bit of re-grouting to do on that tub, it's not in terrible shape, so I doubt it's from that. Only other thing I could think of would be the drain, and a leak from that would be beyond my limited abilities.

Any referrals for a economical plumber for the Johns Creek (Alpharetta/Duluth/Cumming) area?

2. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

How old is the house? Is there a screw in the center of the drain?

One remote thought is the vent flashing on the roof. Those have a rubber piece that rots and when it does rain can down the pipe, until it touches wood, or turns at a joint.

3. seajay

seajay NRA Certified Instructor

Don't put it past a grouting problem. If you want I can come check it out for you. Though I am not a plumber via license I can handel most plumbing issues. I can even take it a few steps farther such as patching the hole needed to be cut in the ceiling to determine if it is a plumbing problem or a grouting calking problem.

Just keep in mind a small hole in the grout or caulking can cause major problems with water leaks so it may not be the plumbing at all.

4. ChipM

ChipM Active Member

Is the tub also used as a shower? The gasket for the tub overflow can leak surprisingly badly when shower spray gets on it. It costs about a dollar, and anyone can replace it. Worth looking into.

5. Editingfx

Editingfx New Member

20 year old house, no screw in drain. Yeah, it's got a hand-held shower head. I'll pull the cover & check the overflow gasket.