Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market to buy a 4wd truck but I don't know much about them. What do I need to watch out for and be aware of before making a purchase? I test drove a S-10 with the ZR5 package. It felt funny driving it in 4wd on pavement, almost like it didn't want to go when I made turns. Is this normal? Thanks, I appreciate any info.

·
Custom User Title
1,663 Posts
Yes, that's normal. You wont feel that nearly as much in the muck when you actually need 4WD. I've not heard much about what to watch out for with regards to 4WD. I would do research on a particular make and model that you like and make sure the engine and drivetrain are reliable.

What do you plan to do with it?

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
I doubt you'd want to go with a vehicle that was full time 4wd if you spend a lot of time in urban environments.

My jeep has on the fly 4wd. If I am here in Atlanta, it 2wd, but if I am out off road, then I can switch it on.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
First of all, dont put one in 4WD while on pavement, you will break things. AWD is for pavement 4 wheeling.... 4WD needs to be on a reduced traction surface since components are getting locked in to all travel togeth without slip.

This is what scares me about buying a used 4WD... did the previous owner hurt stuff by not knowing better?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aberk said:
Yes, that's normal. You wont feel that nearly as much in the muck when you actually need 4WD. I've not heard much about what to watch out for with regards to 4WD. I would do research on a particular make and model that you like and make sure the engine and drivetrain are reliable.

What do you plan to do with it?
Thanks. I was bit nervous for a minute. I only want it for when I'm down on the farm. My wife don't want me hauling dead deer in the SUV, and firewood leaves too much of a mess. This truck will be my main commute to work vehicle, so I don't need a serious mud bogger.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Priest said:
First of all, dont put one in 4WD while on pavement, you will break things. AWD is for pavement 4 wheeling.... 4WD needs to be on a reduced traction surface since components are getting locked in to all travel togeth without slip.

This is what scares me about buying a used 4WD... did the previous owner hurt stuff by not knowing better?
How much and what kind of damage can happen from driving on pavement? How about driving during a heavy rain?

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
I would look hard at a Tacoma. How old are you looking and engine size?

How much and what kind of damage can happen from driving on pavement? How about driving during a heavy rain?
In tight turns it's hard on the differential gears if the wheels can't slip a little. In a heavy rain it might be OK.

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
triggerman357 said:
Priest said:

You can tear up the drive train if the 4WD bite to hard on pavement. No need to use 4WD in any rain. Mainly for loose and wet soil, gravel road, uneven terrain and snow.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
mountainpass said:
I would look hard at a Tacoma. How old are you looking and engine size?

In tight turns it's hard on the differential gears if the wheels can't slip a little. In a heavy rain it might be OK.
what he said.

I remember watching a video report from consumer reports comparison on 4wd trucks and I was surprised at how Toyota blew away the competition.

If you are in the Atlanta area I have a friend who is a manager at one of the Toyota Dealerships. I would trust him to give a good deal to any of my referrals. pm me if you are interested.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, thank you, thank you guys. I want a Tacoma, but with the options I'm loooking for, they are still priced out of my range for a used truck. I don't want to go no smaller than a V6 and no older than 2003. The S-10 fits my budget and wants, but I do have my sights set for a F-150 FX4 one day.

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,724 Posts
the 4 cylinder in the tacoma is more than adequate...i have a 96 with the 2.7 and 5spd with 154k miles it drives like new...

iirc the new 2nd GEN tacoma is nothing but a re-bodied 1st Gen Tundra that is lacking the v8 option

·
Registered
757 Posts
another plus for the Tacoma. I bought mine new in 05 and it has served me well with almost a 100,000 miles on it and still running strong. Here my truck.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
First off -

Buying anything used that has 4wd is risky business, I don't care what anyone tells you. 4wd is a VERY VERY VERY expensive component in any vehicle. I currently own a 2008 Jeep Wrangler, I previously Owned 3 jeep wranglers, I partake in serious rock crawling 4wd trips, and I've taken several people here on them. I'll tell you personally, 4wd can be your friend, or it can be your enemy. A used vehicle with 4wd can and more than likely has been used off-roading at some point or another either carrying trailers, pulling some sort of load or just the off the beaten path user. Either way no one buys a 4WD to never use it. What determines your personal 4WD experience is how the person before you took care of the truck. You can do all the Carfax reports you want, you can verify that the person before you was 50 years old. Doesn't mean anything.

BEFORE YOU BUY a used 4WD, you need to take it to a shop, and have it looked completely over. You need it completely inspected for any issues that may arise. A good 4wd shop ( ive been to hundreds over the East Coast) will ask to drive it on a off-road test track, theres one specifically off Hwy 20 going towards I-75 on the right hand side. They will listen to the noises, the power loses or gains and they can make sure its working properly.

I've had serious work done to mine over the last 2 years, and one thing Southern Offroad did for me was put it up on a lift and engaged it to make sure everything was working right.

Don't buy a clunker man. Price a front and rear differential and a transfer case. Then realize most shops will charge you between 3-4 grand for a repair that serious.

My main point in this: Buy smart or buy new. Don't just lay $2500 on a the table and expect to not get problems. My brother knows all to well what that got him on 2 back to back 4wd vehicles.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
triggerman357 said:
I don't want to go no smaller than a V6 and no older than 2003.
I'm going to quote someone that knows cars, "Tacoma 4x4 with 2.7 4 cyl, manual trans, manual locking hubs, and no power options."

I will say 4 cylinders should not be overlooked. Drive one you might be surprised. I would not be afraid of a one owner less than 100,000 miles first generation Tacoma. 2005 was first year of gen 2. A T100(all made in Japan, 1998 last year) would be a good choice, but they are rare in low miles. Full disclosure, I own a Tundra 2 wheel drive 3.4 V6 manual. I love everything about it except the brakes.

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,724 Posts
thats what mine is 2.7 5spd 4x4 with manual windows and manual locking hubs painted with the red off the dodge viper only thing i gotta have is AC :mrgreen:

·
Registered
47 Posts
you wont be disappointed in either the s10 or the toyota. both good trucks. make sure you look underneath good to see if its been off roaded a lot. if things are scraped up and dented underneath, someone drove it hard. there are tons of then out there that have probably never been off the pavement.

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,724 Posts
if you consider a s10 do not consider the 4 cylinder in those they like to blow head gaskets like crazy...the ranger is also bullet proof like the toyota

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
rmodel65 said:
the ranger is also bullet proof
Well my friends father(70 something) blew his 6 cylinder 4x4 Ranger at 12,000 miles. It was 3.5 years old. Ford told him to pound sand.

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,724 Posts
mountainpass said:
rmodel65 said:
the ranger is also bullet proof
Well my friends father(70 something) blew his 6 cylinder 4x4 Ranger at 12,000 miles. It was 3.5 years old. Ford told him to pound sand.
i assume the 4.0? i know the 2.9 was we painted a few aerostars that had that motor with over a million miles on them...the 4 banger in the ranger is tough

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Yep 4.0.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts