Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would someone please give me the code sections which cover carrying a handgun open/exposed with a Georgia gun carry permit and open/exposed without a gun carry permit?

·
Registered
611 Posts
From 16-11-126:

(h) (1) No person shall carry a weapon without a valid weapons carry license unless he or she meets one of the exceptions to having such license as provided in subsections (a) through (g) of this Code section.

That about covers w/o a license!

There is no code that covers O/C, there for, it is legal.

Check out the Gun Laws link at the top of the page.

Also if you use the search function you will find tons of GA law info.
A quick look using GA law yielded 216 pages of posts!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
There are no provision under the law in the State of GA regarding open carry of weapons, that I am aware off.

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
tech2576 said:
From 16-11-126:

(h) (1) No person shall carry a weapon without a valid weapons carry license unless he or she meets one of the exceptions to having such license as provided in subsections (a) through (g) of this Code section.

WRONG!
OCGA 16-11-125.1 said:
(5) "Weapon" means a knife or handgun.
If you don't have an exception listed in 16-11-126 a-g, you must have a license to carry a knife or handgun concealed or openly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you are not prohibited by law from owning a firearm you may carry a long gun without needing a valid weapons carry license. However if it is loaded, you must carry the long gun in an open and fully exposed manner

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
45_Fan said:
tech2576 said:
From 16-11-126:

WRONG!
[quote="OCGA 16-11-125.1":33r9s0gx]
If you don't have an exception listed in 16-11-126 a-g, you must have a license to carry a knife or handgun concealed or openly.[/quote:33r9s0gx]

I think the part in red was referring to with a license, being he had already covered "w/o a license".

Thats about the only thing I can see that you would think he was "wrong" about.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
That's right, the code section states that you must have a GWL in order to carry a handgun in public while in Georgia.

There is no legal open or concealed carry of a handgun without a license (GWL) in Georgia as the law currently stands.

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
rankhornjp said:
45_Fan said:
tech2576 said:
From 16-11-126:

WRONG!
[quote="OCGA 16-11-125.1":25mixfa7]
If you don't have an exception listed in 16-11-126 a-g, you must have a license to carry a knife or handgun concealed or openly.
I think the part in red was referring to with a license, being he had already covered "w/o a license".

Thats about the only thing I can see that you would think he was "wrong" about.[/quote:25mixfa7]
Pardon while I :oops: then. I misread that as unlicensed OC was not illegal. Didn't want anybody getting into trouble for not having a permit.

·
Registered
611 Posts
rankhornjp said:
45_Fan said:
tech2576 said:
From 16-11-126:

WRONG!
[quote="OCGA 16-11-125.1":2n2hzuif]

Thats about the only thing I can see that you would think he was "wrong" about.[/quote:2n2hzuif]

This exactly what I meant.
Sorry for the confusion, should have stated that more clearly. :oops:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts