Pleasant run in with LEO while OC

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Adam5, May 29, 2007.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I had a chat with a LEO while OCing at the Starbucks at 400 and Mansell Rd. I was a little concerned when he kept looking at my gun, then approached me. My concern was unfounded though. I actually had a nice chat with the officer about the Walther PPK/S that I was carrying and why I chose it. He saw the gun when he was waiting in line, and after getting his coffee he approached me and said " I assume that you have a GFL?" I told him that I did and asked if he wanted to see it, he said no that he didn't need to, but was curious about why I chose the PPK/S for carry. I told him that I also have a Glock 17 that I carry, but I sometimes prefer that compactness of the Walther. He asked if I was concerned about using a .380 for defense, and I said that if I should ever have to use to use it that it would be at a close enough range that I didn't think it would be an issue. He said that I probably right. He told me to have a nice day and went about his way.

It ended up being no big deal. He was just curious abut my choice of carry guns.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Admit it. Quick adrenaline rush when he approached . . . :lol:

So much for the worries about open carry in metro ATL.

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Nice.

I hope this encourages others to open carry more.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

There was an adrenaline rush when he came up to me. I even did a quick look out the window to make sure there wasn't a place too nearby that serves alcohol.

5. Dan H

Dan H New Member

I probably would have had a sudden Jihadi Syndrome attack... :lol:

6. Axeman

Axeman New Member

Great news. I will admit that my heart would have been pumpin' pretty good.

I am always wondering when I am carrying, if I missed some school or PG or place that serves alchohol. I'll start to OC when I settle on a good retention holster and I feel like I have time to be harassed.

Glad to hear you weren't.

7. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

A positive encounter with a police officer? This can't be tolerated. Please send me his name and department immediately so that I can have him properly reprimanded. :)

8. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Don't get too upset Leggie....

He's probably new on the job. Give him a few weeks and he'll be just like all the rest of youse guys..... :screwy:

OK, I know "screwy" isn't totally appropriate, but...

we dont' have one for over-testosteroned-thinks-he-be-macho-guy-who-thinks-chicks-dig-guys- in-uniform......

As the wife of a good buddy (who's now a retired LEO) used to frequently say, "The only difference between cops and crooks is the badge".

Hey! She was married to a cop. She was kidding.

Well, I think she was kidding.

Yeah.

Surely, she was kidding.

Really...

She was kidding, although.....................

9. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Sadly, there are some cops that would fall into that category.

Your right though. A few more weeks of dealing with people will sour him. :wink: :lol:

10. Malum Prohibitum

It just did not seem to be "right" to have this in Off Topic. While it is not really a "GFL Question" either, this seemed to be a better fit than "not Second Amendment related." I hope you do not mind that I moved it.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Has anybody noticed how rare it is for anybody to actually get hassled while openly carrying a firearm?

All of the posts so far are like this one.

There is only one "hassle" story that comes to mind recently, and that is the one open carry hassle in Savannah posted here, but that was after a complaint by a bookstore owner, and the poster has successfully carried there since without trouble.

This rarity is surprising given how frequently some of the posters here carry openly.

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

That's fine. I couldn't decide which topic to put it in.

13. Malum Prohibitum

So where are all the hassling stories?

Maybe LEOs favor our side more than we have been lead to believe, huh?

14. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Especially considering that the one negative incident for me was my inaugural OC incident.

I've been nervous several times since then while OCing but never been harassed, and I'm certain that several LE types saw me carrying.

15. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I think so. I have started to conceal less than I used to, and open or semi-open carry more. I keep waiting for a LEO or atleast a soccer mom to say something negative about it, but it hasn't happened yet. I have been asked a few questions along the lines of "How do I get a permit to carry?" or "What do you carry", but those are isolated and aren't negative.

16. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I've never had a bad experience while open carrying. Hell, no one has even asked me about it.

17. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Well, if you werent so intimidating...

18. NetAdminWithGun

NetAdminWithGun New Member

I haven't had a bad one yet, but only because my work clothes make me look like a detective.

When i'm in my street clothes (same ones from high school) i normally conceal because i KNOW i will get in trouble.

I'll try it though, only because MP said that we never have problems.

19. Malum Prohibitum

No guarantee or warranty is expressed or implied. Your mileage may vary. Past experience does not predict future results. Unique experience; yours may vary. Performed by professional on a closed course under controlled conditions. Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear. Caution: exposed surfaces may be hot and cause injury when touched. Keep away from children. Do not operate while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

20. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:shock:

What about erections lasting longer than 4 hours? :lol: