Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be moving in a few weeks and I'm looking for places to shoot. Preferably ranges that go beyond 100 yards and places to shoot some steel.

Thanks,
Dinnertime

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Dinnertime said:
I'm going to be moving in a few weeks and I'm looking for places to shoot. Preferably ranges that go beyond 100 yards and places to shoot some steel.

Thanks,
Dinnertime
I used to shoot at Barrow County Sheriff's range first Saturdays of the month. I am usually working on Saturdays instead of shooting now. The deputies that run it serve as range officers and are good friendly guys. There is a handful of good GPDOers that show up as well so there is good company to shoot with.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Depending on where you are going to be in Barrow....there are a couple of choices.
If you are on the west side of Barrow, check out Trigger Time in SE Hall county ( it says Flowery Branch, but its far east Flowery Branch
http://www.triggertime.org/

If you are looking for something toward the east side Barrow, you could check out The Firing Lane in Athens.
http://www.firinglane.com/

I really prefer the folks at Trigger Time. fairly new range, great staff, flat rate pricing, several handgun and rifle ranges. Let me know if when you get up this way, I make it over there several times a month!

·
Old Time Member
2,647 Posts
As sawman said, the Barrow Sheriff Range is open n the first Saturday of the month. They were charging $10.00 to shoot but their website says that the day in April will be no charge. Please confirm that with them if you choose to go. I enjoy shooting there and the Deputies keep it safe.

Trigger Time is a nice place but I have been told they do not like people quickly firing their weapons. I can understand why, given the skill and experience level some people have but I like to practice defensive shooting not just target practice.

·
Registered
139 Posts
TheLaw said:
As sawman said, the Barrow Sheriff Range is open n the first Saturday of the month. They were charging $10.00 to shoot but their website says that the day in April will be no charge. Please confirm that with them if you choose to go. I enjoy shooting there and the Deputies keep it safe.
So I read the related thread and am very intrested in the Training for my fiancee, as I know she would enjoy it and has inquired some about some professional training. Do you have to schedule that ahead of time? Or just show up and say 'hey, I'm here for training!' :lol: I won't be able to make it on April 2 (since we are getting married on the 1st), but will plan on May.

·
Old Time Member
2,647 Posts
http://barrowsheriff.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=68

At the bottom of the training page, you will find the telephone number and email address. Contact them and discuss the training needs. On some range days they have plenty of Deputies there that will assist with general questions, on others, they only have enough to run the range safely. If you are looking for actual training, schedule some time with them. They may not answer immediately but they will get back to you. Good luck.

·
Registered
611 Posts
This is on the calender for next month. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
TheLaw said:
http://barrowsheriff.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=68

At the bottom of the training page, you will find the telephone number and email address. Contact them and discuss the training needs. On some range days they have plenty of Deputies there that will assist with general questions, on others, they only have enough to run the range safely. If you are looking for actual training, schedule some time with them. They may not answer immediately but they will get back to you. Good luck.
THANKS! I'll check it out!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I work in Winder, so I'm used to getting to Barrow county by 8 AM, M-F, shouldn't be a problem doing it on a Saturday. This looks like a good way to get some cheap range time in, and maybe a few more folks participating will help keep the program active.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I live in Winder, and I'm a member of the Athens Rifle Club. $75 initiation + $100 yearly dues. Takes me about 40 minutes to get there.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Other than the county sheriff's range is their places to shoot steel and farther than 100 yards?

·
Old Time Member
2,647 Posts
Athens Rifle Club has a 200 yard rifle range, but to my knowledge, no steel on the rifle range. They have a 50 yards pistol range with steel targets for rim-fire and center-fire, no rifle calibers. ARC is a private range though.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Anyone headed up there this weekend? I'm an early riser, so I'll probably be there when they open up at 8:00. Might be a little cool, but at least the rain should be wrapping things up on Friday.

·
Old Time Member
2,647 Posts
I plan on being there and as a reminder, they said this Saturday it will be free since last month's opening weekend got rescheduled.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I arrived a little after 8 AM, it was really quiet until 10 AM or so, deputies outnumbered visitors 10 to 1, but it was great having some time to chat with them on a variety of topics. They had the main shooting area open for shooting, the obstacle course with the steel targets wasn't ready for the public, and they gave me a rundown of their future plans (shotgun, clay, etc.)

I started shooting around 9:45 (no one wants to be first on the line, right?), got some great tips and instruction from one of the deputies on my technique, I definitely have a lot of work ahead of me. By 11:00 or so, there were maybe 20 shooters. We were at 7 yds or so, I left before the reset to rifle distances, but they were planning on being open until 2 PM.

Definitely on my calendar for next month, can't think of a cheaper way to shoot.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found a place a little east of Athens (an hour drive for me) that you can shoot steel out to 700 yards. However they have no provisions for pistols.

I stopped by trigger time last saturday around 11am and the place was packed; probably had 7-8 people waiting to use the range. The range looked like it had poor ventilation and some people were even wearing dust masks that were black from all the powder floating around. I don't know if I will ever use that range or not I'll have to think hard about it.

I also went buy a few other places, shooters world is only a few miles from me but were closed due to the eastman gun show. I went by Dixie ammo dump which was hard to find, but the folks were awesome, extremely nice and down to earth. They even took me to the back to see their gun vault. They were probably some of the nicest people I have ever met that worked at a gun shop. The prices were reasonably and I will buy from them once I get moved (need an AAC can :shattered: ). They told me about the wilson sholes (don't know how to spell it) WMA that I might check out.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had the opposite experience from you at Trigger Time about a month ago, maybe it was just an off day when you visited. I was impressed by their air handlers, they said they were running about 35% at the time, and there was a steady breeze keeping the range clear. They claimed that wide open, paper targets would be moving too much to shoot. Lighting was great, and I must have picked the right Saturday to go. I walked in, got a lane immediately, around 12:30. Maybe all the other shooters were eating lunch when I decided to go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts