Places that sell alcohol but not for consumption.

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by foshizzle, Apr 30, 2007.

1. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I know we have case-law for places like McDonalds and the mall... but wouldn't places that sell alcohol but NOT for consumption on the premesis be a pretty good "given" as far as NOT being a public gathering.

Since the law states:

A public gathering is defined and includes, but is not limited too, athletic or sporting events, churches or church functions, political rallies and/or functions, publicly owned or operated buildings, and establishments at which alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises.

Since they used the language "sold for consumption", doesn't that automatically mean that places that just sell it (package stores, gas stations, grocery stores) might as well be in the same category as McDonalds and the mall? As long as they don't meet any other prohibitive criteria.

Maybe it's just nit-picking stuff, but I have seen case-law referenced a few times in various posts as the "only" places we can surely carry.

Since they didn't include "ANY PLACE" that sells alcohol, and if they didn't intend to include grocery stores, gas stations etc... they would have specified "ANY PLACE" right there in that part of the law... doesn't it hold just as much water as case-law?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Well, what if they were selling it in a church or during a concert! :lol:

Or at a Fourth of July public barbeque at which negroes and some white people gathered?

Seriously, though, sine these establishments are licensed pretty strictly, it is unlikely to otherwise be a public gathering.

When people post about McDonalds, they are just saying it is the only place that is "judicially approved." :lol:

3. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Interesting MP.

Do you spend all of your free time looking up arcane court rulings?

4. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

No. He spends all his time looking up arcane court rulings. :lol:

5. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Thanks for clearing that up for me. For a short while there, I thought maybe, just maybe, he had a very limited amount of time available to have a life.....

Once again, I was wrr. wroo. wwrrr. wwwwrr. Not completely correct.

I've carried in package stores on numerous occasions. Either no one noticed or no one cared.