Pistol Selection

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by ntech, Jun 13, 2007.

1. ntech

ntech Member

I have always loved glocks. The only thing that I don't like about them is the absence of a safety mechanism. Is there a pistol out there that shoots like a glock, and is just as light weight with a safety mechanism? The springfield XD is the closest I have found, but I am still looking for a safety that has a switch I can flip. I am primarily interested in obtaining a 40 cal. Any ideas?

2. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

The XD has the grip safety.

And Glocks have three safeties, which is two more than most manual safety pistols.

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

4. Wiley

Wiley New Member

5. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm has an external safety and the most comfortable grip of the market.

Thank you

6. Axeman

Axeman New Member

I have both the XD40 Sub Compact and the XD45ACP, and really like both of them. :) The grip safety works really well and won't let you pull the trigger even by accident unless the safety is depressed.

I am sort of curious for what purpose you want and external safety, kids, warm fuzzy feeling, to ease the mind of a spouse?

I would suggest that if you get a pistol with an external safety, practice, practice, practice. It needs to be instinct cause when your adrenaline is pumping, your fine motor skills is the first to go.

I am not saying ext. safeties are bad but they require a little more practice than just point and click. :wink: I usually carry my FiveseveN the most and it has an ext. safety but I did/do practice with it alot, but my bump in the night gun is my XD45ACP with light attached. When I am half asleep the last thing I want to do worry about the safety. :shoot:

7. ber950

ber950 Active Member

8. tace

tace New Member

I know exactly what you mean. One option is HK USP Compact for about $650-700. There is also the Taurus 24/7 but not familiar with that one.

9. Sharky

Sharky New Member

For the money and the quality I chose Taurus 24/7. I like Glocks as well and they seem to have amny different models to fit your purpose. However for external safety and price, then overall quality the 24/7 is definitely a great choice.

A glock lover once shot my gun and was quite impressed.

10. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

I just called Glock, Inc and they are not currently manufacturing any glocks with trigger locks. You can't believe everything you see on the internet.

11. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I don't believe it is fair to compare a Glock to a weapon with a hammer.

Most handguns of reputable manufactures (Glock, Hk, Sig, et al) are going to go bang when you pull the trigger.

If you want a gun that you can abuse, neglect, throw in the mud, and beat with a stick...then get a Glock. If you plan to maintain your weapon and not get it ridiculously dirty, then get a Glock or any other major brand.

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

ber950, it's pretty well known that the guy who runs TGZ hates Glocks.

13. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

I have read alot of the same thing.

14. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

H&K USP if you want to stay in polymer and do the cocked and locked route would be a nice choice. As far as weight goes, you could go with something aluminum framed.

15. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Most modern design manual safety firearms will also have the firing pin blocks and drop safeties. Even the venerable 1911 can be had with a firing pin block.

16. Wiley

Wiley New Member

Fixed fer ya, Ramm. 96 years of service counts for a lot.

17. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Well....that is a service weapon. When I think of a 1911 I think of people spending 2K+ on their safe queens that explode when dust gets near it.

18. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Besides, I'll put my G19 up against any 1911. Any day.

The 1911 will go silent well before the Glock.

19. tace

tace New Member