Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always loved glocks. The only thing that I don't like about them is the absence of a safety mechanism. Is there a pistol out there that shoots like a glock, and is just as light weight with a safety mechanism? The springfield XD is the closest I have found, but I am still looking for a safety that has a switch I can flip. I am primarily interested in obtaining a 40 cal. Any ideas?

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
The XD has the grip safety.

And Glocks have three safeties, which is two more than most manual safety pistols.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Greetings,

Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm has an external safety and the most comfortable grip of the market.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
ntech said:
I have always loved glocks. The only thing that I don't like about them is the absence of a safety mechanism. Is there a pistol out there that shoots like a glock, and is just as light weight with a safety mechanism? The springfield XD is the closest I have found, but I am still looking for a safety that has a switch I can flip. I am primarily interested in obtaining a 40 cal. Any ideas?
I have both the XD40 Sub Compact and the XD45ACP, and really like both of them. :) The grip safety works really well and won't let you pull the trigger even by accident unless the safety is depressed.

I am sort of curious for what purpose you want and external safety, kids, warm fuzzy feeling, to ease the mind of a spouse?

I would suggest that if you get a pistol with an external safety, practice, practice, practice. It needs to be instinct cause when your adrenaline is pumping, your fine motor skills is the first to go.

I am not saying ext. safeties are bad but they require a little more practice than just point and click. :wink: I usually carry my FiveseveN the most and it has an ext. safety but I did/do practice with it alot, but my bump in the night gun is my XD45ACP with light attached. When I am half asleep the last thing I want to do worry about the safety. :shoot:

·
Registered
3,591 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
ntech said:
I know exactly what you mean. One option is HK USP Compact for about $650-700. There is also the Taurus 24/7 but not familiar with that one.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
kestak said:
Greetings,

Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm has an external safety and the most comfortable grip of the market.

Thank you
For the money and the quality I chose Taurus 24/7. I like Glocks as well and they seem to have amny different models to fit your purpose. However for external safety and price, then overall quality the 24/7 is definitely a great choice.

A glock lover once shot my gun and was quite impressed.

·
Romans 10:13
4,637 Posts

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
I don't believe it is fair to compare a Glock to a weapon with a hammer.

Most handguns of reputable manufactures (Glock, Hk, Sig, et al) are going to go bang when you pull the trigger.

If you want a gun that you can abuse, neglect, throw in the mud, and beat with a stick...then get a Glock. If you plan to maintain your weapon and not get it ridiculously dirty, then get a Glock or any other major brand.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
ber950, it's pretty well known that the guy who runs TGZ hates Glocks.

·
Romans 10:13
4,637 Posts
Rammstein said:
ber950, it's pretty well known that the guy who runs TGZ hates Glocks.
I have read alot of the same thing.

·
Registered
9,075 Posts
H&K USP if you want to stay in polymer and do the cocked and locked route would be a nice choice. As far as weight goes, you could go with something aluminum framed.

·
Registered
9,075 Posts
gsusnake said:
The XD has the grip safety.

And Glocks have three safeties, which is two more than most manual safety pistols.
Most modern design manual safety firearms will also have the firing pin blocks and drop safeties. Even the venerable 1911 can be had with a firing pin block.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Rammstein said:
If you want a gun that you can abuse, neglect, throw in the mud, and beat with a stick...then get a Colt 1911.
Fixed fer ya, Ramm. 96 years of service counts for a lot.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Wiley said:
Rammstein said:
If you want a gun that you can abuse, neglect, throw in the mud, and beat with a stick...then get a Colt 1911.
Fixed fer ya, Ramm. 96 years of service counts for a lot.
Well....that is a service weapon. When I think of a 1911 I think of people spending 2K+ on their safe queens that explode when dust gets near it.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Besides, I'll put my G19 up against any 1911. Any day.

The 1911 will go silent well before the Glock.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts