pistol ammunition

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Patches, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Patches

Patches Guest

Where best to purchase reasonably priced pistol ammo, Walmart or a gun store?? Will pistol ammunition you order via a catalog (like thru Shotgun News ads) deliver to your home address or must it be sent through a licensed gun dealer?

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

For range ammo Wal-Mart or Dicks Sporting Goods will have the best price. I normally shoot 500-750 rounds of 9mm a month. I've found the best deal is Dicks when they have a sale. I get Remington 115gr FMJ 9mm for $6.98 per box (10 box min fo rthis price). For carry ammo, I'll use a gun store for the better selection of hollow points. If you order online they will ship to your house. The thing that have to watch for is how much they are going to charge for shipping. Ammo can be heavy, and shipping isn't always cheap.

Adam

3. Patches

Patches Guest

Adam: My thanks for your reply. I had not considered ammo heaviness in shipping running up shipping costs. That would be a cost factor. It probably is also best to buy quality hollow points (we used to call them dum-dums) that you would carry from a gun dealer. Thanks for your suggestions. Patches.

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Shipping isn't always bad. Sure, it's high, but the difference in price can be made up with lower markup and no sales tax for out of state stores. If you shoot surplus ammo, you almost have to get it online or some specialty store. That being said, it's usually cheaper to buy in bulk and why not since you're probably going to shoot that much eventually anyway. That, and prices are scheduled to go up Sept 1, I believe.

5. adriand

adriand New Member

6. M249

M249 New Member

I've ordered form CDT and The Sportsman's Guide. Sometimes they have great deals, but a lot of the time, they can be beaten by Wal-Mart and Adventure Outdoors.

7. larz

larz Member

Walmart and Bass Pro consistantly have good prices.

8. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Although I haven't had personal experience with them, I've heard negative things.

10. GunNut

GunNut New Member

I have ordered from him once, I had no problems. Shipped the next day, tracking information emailed, etc. I received what I ordered.

Some of his prices are decent, others are a little high. At least you know the total with shipping up front since ammo can be heavy.