Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://reason.com/blog/2016/07/28/pine-bluff-cops-wont-return-medals

Police officers in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, are lawyering up after the city council voted to rescind medals of valor handed out to the SWAT team in 2013.

What did the SWAT team do to earn those valorous medals? They stormed into the home of 107-year old Monroe Isadore, shot him to deathâ€"and then successfully dodged a state investigation of the incident.

Nearly three years after the incident, the city council voted unanimously this month to revoke the medals. As of Monday, however, the police force has yet to return the medals and is seeking legal counsel to challenge the city's decision, according to local TV station KATV.

"I don't understand the rationale, I don't understand why anyone would want a medal, who can you show it to? Oh, I have a medal of valor, well were you in the war? No, I killed a 107-year-old man...you know...who would want that?" Councilwoman Thelma Walker told KATV, the local ABC affiliate.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,911 Posts
Some of these guys want violence, and they know their actions will be justified so they know they can do whatever they want, and get medals for it.

Like you said though, nobody cares.

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Cue item 1.

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
Hmmm . . .

nothing about assisted living facility in this version:
Pauline Lewis tells local TV news THV 11 that she had invited Isadore to live in her Pine Bluff, Ark., home in August. On Saturday, she and Isadore's daughter had intended to help him move into an apartment. But he locked himself in his room with a pistol, and Lewis says she had to call the police.

"He was very angry. He got hostile. He was gonna kill somebody," Lewis tells THV 11. "Monroe was in the room and he had the gun pointed out - said, 'If you wanna live, you better' - knock on wood - 'get away from this door.' "
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...r-old-die-in-a-police-shootout-details-emerge

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
"Neighbors say they heard a barrage of gunfire — perhaps as many as 30 shots. The ruckus drew the attention of a nearby Baptist church congregation."

·
Registered
14,960 Posts
107 year old "perp." Send in the swat team, show him who's in charge.

He's 107 years old. All they had to do was wait for him to fall asleep......

·
codegeek reincarnate
901 Posts
just another example of law enforcement's need to solve the problem "right then and there". I'm not going to judge law enforcement or the victim. I just wish that when time is available, they (LEOs) would take more of it to think things through.

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They should have waited him out. This was about force escalation, not deescalation as it should have been. In the end they all got medals. :screwy:

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oops, bar-b-cue.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Old lives matter

·
Liver Abuser
1,059 Posts
just another example of law enforcement's need to solve the problem "right then and there". I'm not going to judge law enforcement or the victim. I just wish that when time is available, they (LEOs) would take more of it to think things through.
Well said. A little patience would go a LONG WAY towards solving a lot of issues between the citizenry and police.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,911 Posts
They needed to respect their elder. 107 years old? leave him alone. He doesn't want to go to a care facility? Don't make him go.

WTH is wrong with people?!
Just like statist voters, they like to force their opinion and force you to do things and if you resist, prison or death. This is the realization of those ideals. Taken to an extreme with the old man, but they'll do it to you too.

Most cops are extremely statist.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,911 Posts
Well said. A little patience would go a LONG WAY towards solving a lot of issues between the citizenry and police.
They don't have time for that, just kill him and leave.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Why would we assume any other outcome than this? Calling in an armed police force whose first worry is getting home safe every night, one should never expect them to go out of their way not to shoot a MWAG, no matter how old he is. As long as they went home safely that night, that is what was most important (Satire). Call in guns to stop a MWAG & expect someone to die...someone not wearing the taxpayer supplied bullet proof vests. Any other outcome than that should be viewed as a pleasant surprise.

I wouldn't want to be a police officer today. They never know if a gunman is waiting around the next corner with a gun aimed at their heads. I think I would be shooting first and asking questions later if it was me. Just saying...

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
Why would we assume any other outcome than this? Calling in an armed police force whose first worry is getting home safe every night, one should never expect them to go out of their way not to shoot a MWAG, no matter how old he is. As long as they went home safely that night, that is what was most important (Satire). Call in guns to stop a MWAG & expect someone to die...someone not wearing the taxpayer supplied bullet proof vests. Any other outcome than that should be viewed as a pleasant surprise.

I wouldn't want to be a police officer today. They never know if a gunman is waiting around the next corner with a gun aimed at their heads. I think I would be shooting first and asking questions later if it was me. Just saying...
all of which is bad behavior (both the hiring of armed thugs to do their bidding, and the behavior of the armed thugs themselves). the question is, when will folks really start viewing it for what it is and stop supporting it?

·
Registered
14,960 Posts
all of which is bad behavior (both the hiring of armed thugs to do their bidding, and the behavior of the armed thugs themselves). the question is, when will folks really start viewing it for what it is and stop supporting it?
A good start might be reigning in the bureaucrats who keep making repugnant "laws" which require paid enforcers to enforce. How many hundreds of thousands of laws are there that makes everyone being a criminal almost the defacto state? Recall the Atlas Shrugged quote.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts