Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,250 Posts
AtlPhilip, don't just look at state law (o.c.g.a.).
Look at city and county ordinances also. They often have crimes that are worded differently from the state counterparts.

·
Proud GCO member.
7,959 Posts
AtlPhilip, don't just look at state law (o.c.g.a.).
Look at city and county ordinances also. They often have crimes that are worded differently from the state counterparts.
Excellent point, and one I lost sight of.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Although a Fulton County judge has ruled (this is on appeal) that the Atlanta Botanical Garden's lease grants them an estate for years (ownership rights), the Georgia Supreme Court did lay out in October of 2019 that entities who lease publicly-owned property which falls under usufruct rights CANNOT ban lawfully carried firearms, due to state preemption.

I guarantee you that the Midtown Music Festival's lease or other agreement does NOT grant estate for years to Piedmont Park, and therefore they cannot ban anything that the City of Atlanta is forbidden to ban under state preemption.

Yet, they think they can do so in 2021:

"Security Screening & Entry
For the safety of everyone entering the festival, all patrons are subject to a full and complete search prior to entry.

Please review the Allowed & Prohibited items list for a stress-free entry process.

By purchasing a ticket, you agree to submit to a full body pat-down before entry. If you would like to be screened by security personnel of your same gender, please let security personnel know prior to the search process. Screening of children will always take place with the consent of a parent or guardian."

And...

"The following items are PROHIBITED:
  • Weapons or explosives of any kind"

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I just now posted this on their Facebook page:

Music Midtown,

Your posted rules regarding weapons carry during the festival are without effect. Here’s why:

As a result of Georgia Carry’s and my lawsuit against Atlanta Botanical Garden, the Georgia Supreme Court ruled in October of 2019 that entities who lease any publicly-owned property that falls under usufruct rights (merely to use and enjoy) CANNOT ban lawfully carried firearms, due to state preemption, as those who possess a license to carry are AUTHORIZED by state law to carry in ALL areas of the state except for those few enumerated off-limits places, of which, Piedmont Park does not fall within any of the named categories.

Even though a Fulton County judge has ruled (this is on appeal) that the Atlanta Botanical Garden's lease grants them an estate for years (ownership rights), the general portion of the Georgia Supreme Court’s ruling set the standard for whether or not an entity who leases publicly owned property can ban firearms.

I guarantee you that Music Midtown’s lease or other agreement with the City of Atlanta does NOT grant estate for years rights to Piedmont Park, and therefore you cannot ban anything that the City of Atlanta is forbidden to ban under state preemption law.

Even if you do conduct TSA-style searches of attendees, if anyone possesses a valid license to carry a firearm, they may indeed carry it on their person, either openly or concealed.

If you violate anyone’s right to be lawfully armed at the Piedmont Park event, you open yourselves to the possibility of being sued. The City of Atlanta Police will not enforce your weapons policy against lawful carriers. Ask them if you don’t believe me.

Reactions: OWM

·
Registered
14,556 Posts
I just now posted this on their Facebook page:
I don't see anything from you there. How long does it normally take for a message to show up? Or maybe they deleted it ! :eek:

·
68,961 Posts
Also from the comments:

"To everyone complaining, it’s not for people our age. Sorry, it’s just not. People have been complaining about music midtown not being the same since the late 90s. It’s not worse, we are just old."

"Maroon 5, Miley Cyrus, AND Jonas Brothers? This is a great lineup if you were in middle school and this concert was 14 years ago. Another fantastic job, MM."

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
"Maroon 5, Miley Cyrus, AND Jonas Brothers?
Indeed.
How about Pink Floyd, AC DC, The Who, Jefferson Airplane, The Doors, Rolling Stones Etc. All old, some dead. That was music. Still is.

Reactions: MaricopaKid and NTA
81 - 88 of 88 Posts