Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong. But it seems to me that kahrshooter is thinking the lease is along the same lines as a lease of a residence. The way I'm understanding this is that the fact that it's a government owned property, and still open to the public, makes it fall under a slightly different set of rules or laws. Is that correct?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I spent the morning rereading the current Code, and cross referencing...and trying go gather the Legislative Intent from it all.

I now believe I was wrong, and offer my apologies.

I do still fear that you could be CT'd on the sly, and that Code may need Legislative and/or Judicial clarification to avoid a GWL holder being charged.

And, there is still the question of , if you buy a ticket, can the ticket have or cause an agreement between you and the Seller, wherein you waive your right to carry as part of the purchase.

Again, my apologies on this.

Just don't want there to be a dust up where an innocent party is arrested.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I appreciate all the insight & details on what the laws say. I, like most others wasn't worried about things at the festival, it was the trek back to where I parked near Atlantic Station. And I've always said "concealed is concealed" like many others do. Sure there's the chance someone could see my weapon, but I'm conscious of it & also don't carry a brick in these situations..
Thanks for looking into & trying to translate everything!

·
Registered
756 Posts
I spent the morning rereading the current Code, and cross referencing...and trying go gather the Legislative Intent from it all.

I now believe I was wrong, and offer my apologies.

I do still fear that you could be CT'd on the sly, and that Code may need Legislative and/or Judicial clarification to avoid a GWL holder being charged.

And, there is still the question of , if you buy a ticket, can the ticket have or cause an agreement between you and the Seller, wherein you waive your right to carry as part of the purchase.

Again, my apologies on this.

Just don't want there to be a dust up where an innocent party is arrested.
It was a very nice debate, and informative. I do see your concerns and this thread helped prep us all for that time we run into an uninformed LEO. I have been detained and questioned before by LEOs with outdated gun law knowledge (pre-GCO law). Police are Not lawyers or legislators and enforce based on a limited knowledge of every law in every area of law. There is no way to retain it all. Being a calm and experienced citizen in your rights helps one to talk effectively should a situation arise. These sorts of lively civil discussions are great!

Thank you for talking it out, and even studying your law to help the conversation along!

·
Proud GCO member.
7,959 Posts
Too bad being unable to retain it all and good faith don't work when it comes to COMPLYING with the law as well as it does for enforcing the law.
This. When it is impossible to comply with the law, the law should be void.

And when the law becomes so complex that it requires 8years of intense study (and continuing edu) to be reasonably versed, it is no longer possible for a reasonable person to comply.

Each state should be limited to one 90 page spiral notebook. When it's full you can either repeal something, or go into recess for the session. Federal law should only cover true interstate matters or ensuring Constitutional rights, so they get the same. No more than 1/2 bookshelf for every law in this country.

·
Like a Boss
3,034 Posts
Just FYI, this year's lineup has been posted and tickets go on sale in a few days. The FAQ still claims weapons are prohibited:

http://www.musicmidtown.com/faqs/

From reading this thread, it appears that in 2014, the organizers ignored requests for clarification or explanation on the policy, and left it up on their web site, but didn't take any action that would restrict entrance by armed persons.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
HB 492 will be in effect at that time. "...by any other means..." should make it clear to local governments that they may not regulate the carrying of weapons on public property even via the means of a private entity hosting an event.

I'd suggest CC at the entrance to not have any hassle with them taking your tickets, but then switch to OC in the restroom if you want. They will have no legal means to kick you off public property merely for carrying your firearm.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Anyone here attending that would like to open carry? If you can't exercise your right to carry a holstered pistol at a public city park where can you?

·
Just a Man
6,056 Posts
This starts today.

Anybody ever receive any feedback from them through email or FaceBook?

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
A gentleman, christianjones, over at the Outdoor Trader forum posted his Sept. 2014 experience at the Piedmont Park Midtown Music Festival.

Keep in mind, this is after HB 60 had gone into effect.

They saw his pocket knife and made him take it back to the car, but they didn't notice the Glock 42 in his pocket.

So, it looks like Live Nation is serious about infringing on carry rights at a public park.

I guess I'll need to save up some money and enjoy one of their concert days next year just to see what they say about me peacefully and openly carrying my firearm there, as is my normal custom when I'm out in public.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I sent this to Midtown Music Festival using their web form:

Dear Admin,

Since the Midtown Music Festival is held in a public city park, you do not have the force of law to prohibit legally carried weapons. All local laws and ordinances are preempted by state law.

I suppose you might decline to accept a ticket from someone carrying a weapon, but what if a licensed and lawful carrier was not detected and then peacefully and openly carried his firearm at the event? Were you to eject him from the property merely for being legally armed, he could sue you and I suspect win in court, because again, you do not have the force of state law to forbid the carrying of weapons on public property.

Want to ban weapons? Then hold your event on private property where you would have the force of trespass law. HB 60 specifically changed key wording in the law to limit trespass rights to private property regarding weapons. I suggest you have your lawyers confirm this with you.

I'm certain that some of those I interact with on the Internet would like to lawfully and openly exercise their 2nd Amendment Rights while attending your music festival at Piedmont Park next year. I'm also fairly certain that any harassment against them would be effectively documented for subsequent legal action.

I suggest you follow state law in order to avoid embarrassment and potentially expensive litigation.

Thanks and best regards,

Phillip Evans

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I just now emailed several City of Atlanta officials including the police chief, regarding the Midtown Music Festival's weapons policy and basically asked them to reassure me that my carry rights will not be violated at Piedmont Park next year during the event.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,489 Posts
I suppose you might decline to accept a ticket from someone carrying a weapon, but what if a licensed and lawful carrier
What was passed last session was intended to not even allow this, that the State, County, City or municipality can not rent away the right to carry.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
Yes, but if a ticket is involved, and if it must be accepted before you are allowed entrance, what do you do if they don't hold out their hand and take it?

You can't force your way in. I suppose you could think of suing them as you are turned away and drive home, or disarm and go back in.

Not being allowed in might be considered a civil matter by the police so there may not be any help there.

HOWEVER - Great News Today! *******************************

The first email response came from an officer that thought the MMF could ban weapons due to it being a "private event". So, I sent another email contending that they could not do so.

I received another email from an APD Public Relations Officer who assured me that MMF must follow all city and state laws. I called the officer on the phone to get clarification, and was informed that YES, a licensed person may carry their pistol during the festival.

So feel free to open or conceal carry with NO WORRIES of arrest from APD!

IF you carry at all, you may want to be discreet at the entrance to keep from being denied entry by festival security.

What was passed last session was intended to not even allow this, that the State, County, City or municipality can not rent away the right to carry.

·
Cross-drawer
7,203 Posts
Can you imagine what it would be like if our driver's license was like our carry license, having to check every time you wanted to go somewhere new to see if you could use their parking lot? What a pain in the butt!

·
68,961 Posts
Good job, Phil1979! You are one busy guy.

Side note:

The City of Atlanta has come a long way on these issues since Mayor Reed was elected.

I know some of you will puke :puke: when I say this, but I think the former Senator has a lot to do with Atlanta's stance on many of these issues, that is, I think it is being directed from the top. You will recall the almost overnight change at the airport upon the change of mayors.

I think, having been in the legislature, he knew exactly what each of these laws meant for the City of Atlanta and was determined to make sure that the city was not flagrantly violating them, regardless of his personal political leanings or votes when he was in the legislature on those very bills.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
14,491 Posts
Can you perchance print and scan or otherwise post the email chain regarding this?

Nemo

41 - 60 of 88 Posts