Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out to hunt this morning at 5:30 am and stopped by the store to get a Cherry Cheese Danish and a Dr. Pepper. There was a Deputy in uniform talking to the clerk, but he wasn't in a patrol car. I guess that was his truck parked outside the front and idling. Greeted them with a 'Good Morning' and picked up my items and headed to the counter. He didn't have anything to say about the Glock 23 on my hip being openly carried, BUT he did say that I needed peanuts if I was going to get the big boy today. So I obliged him b/c I haven't had a very good streak and every little bit helps( sidenote: I was skunked twice today-am and pm). Long story short---Pickens Co. Sheriff's Deputies, hats off to you :righton: . But are ya'll really that surprised?
I wished I would have gotten his name, but he had on jacket AND I was running late to the stand! :D

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Where you hunting?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Up near Bent Tree on family land. Unusual to get skunked. My buddy saw an alleged 6 ptr this morning heading my way but I told him I never even saw it after we met up for lunch. I have shot some decent bucks, but have seen better ones on trail cams.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
I saw a doe followed closely by a nice buck cross Cove Rd east of the four-way almost at Cowart Mtn. today at about 12:45.

Edit: They were heading towards Marble Hill......fast

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
mountainpass said:
I saw a doe followed closely by a nice buck cross Cove Rd east of the four-way almost at Cowart Mtn. today at about 12:45.

Edit: They were heading towards Marble Hill......fast
I'll be sure to get my apache helicopter in the air and heat sensing scopes... lol Mountain he's a hunter, not the predator :p And who designated you to work the deer crossing sign?

Side note: I'm just pickin on ya. I figured i only get some few chances and this was one of em ;)

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
get a Cherry Cheese Danish and a Dr. Pepper
AH, the breakfast of champions! I would be so ill if I ate and drank that at all....let alone first thing in the a.m. :puke:

:lol:

Maybe the deer could smell all the cherry, cheesey goodness? :)

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Taco said:
I'll be sure to get my apache helicopter in the air and heat sensing scopes... lol Mountain he's a hunter, not the predator And who designated you to work the deer crossing sign?
Hey I don't know where he's hunting...maybe this info helped him. Now that you mention it there is a deer crossing sign there.........how do the deer know that. :-k

·
Molon Labe
253 Posts
jtexaslonestar said:
...... Long story short---Pickens Co. Sheriff's Deputies, hats off to you :righton: . But are ya'll really that surprised?
I wished I would have gotten his name, but he had on jacket AND I was running late to the stand! :D
I live in Pickens Co. but still have not OC yet. I CC all the time with an OC holster and untucked shirt but have not made up in my mind if OC is right for me...only one way to find out I guess.

BTW - Saw a nice buck one day last week while heading north on old 5 right before the Quick Burger...... just standing along the right side of the road. The other day I saw a couple does in the same spot.

·
68,524 Posts
mountainpass said:
Now that you mention it there is a deer crossing sign there.........how do the deer know that. :-k
They probably lobbied for it.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Waynedawg said:
BTW - Saw a nice buck one day last week while heading north on old 5 right before the Quick Burger...... just standing along the right side of the road. The other day I saw a couple does in the same spot.
My wife took me to Quick Burger for the first time 2 weeks ago. Great burger and I was OCing. No problem at all.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Waynedawg--That is about how I carry most days, but i OC when in hunting apparel for comfort and efficiency while using the climber. I have been to the Walmart while OCing in my get-up and didn't receive any problems after being pointed out by a deputy's daughter, "Daddy, why is he wearing those really tall boots(snake boots)?"
Come on guys, give mountain a break. It is deer season and every little thing counts, even whether it is cherry or apple. I appreciate any and all info/advice. Like they say about advice: Wise men don't need it and fools never heed it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BSCLibertarian said:
get a Cherry Cheese Danish and a Dr. Pepper
AH, the breakfast of champions! I would be so ill if I ate and drank that at all....let alone first thing in the a.m. :puke:

:lol:

Maybe the deer could smell all the cherry, cheesey goodness? :)
The joys of youth! I have been forewarned of the dangers of this diet for 5 years now. Haven't hit the big 3-0, so I am sure it will catch up with me at some point. Of course, mountain hunting can be rigorous and I prob. burn it off after the hike up the mountain, or the drag out if I hook up on a shot.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
The joys of youth! I have been forewarned of the dangers of this diet for 5 years now. Haven't hit the big 3-0, so I am sure it will catch up with me at some point. Of course, mountain hunting can be rigorous and I prob. burn it off after the hike up the mountain, or the drag out if I hook up on a shot.
Well it's funny you mention health that was the reason I asked where you were hunting. On that same bike ride I saw the deer I was up on Monument Rd and a hunter came up out of the woods. He was breathing so hard he couldn't talk. I stopped and tried to talk with him but it was fruitless. He was about 50 I'd guess. Monument Rd rides a ridge and Dawson Forest is on the east side, once you step off the road you head downhill. I don't believe that man could have drug a deer out if he had shot one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts