PIC added: Renasant Bank in Canton Posted with Dumbest No-Gun Sign

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by mountainpass, Jan 4, 2017.

1. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

The sign says something to the effect(no pic cause phone was on charge in car)

Please Remove Hats, Sunglasses, and Weapons Before Entering

I guess I should just carry them inside my hat along with my sunglasses into the bank.

Wouldn't a sign saying "Please Don't Rob This Bank"? have the same outcome.

I called and spoke to a media guy whose number I found for investors. He said believe it or not that putting up a sign telling people to remove their hat works to deter robberies. The folks inside the branch are supposed to ask folks to remove their hats as well. I assume this pertains to firearms but mine was carried concealed today as I had some Dr's appointments so I can't say.

This was my first visit to this branch. I do not think the Jasper branch is posted.

I was told this is corporate policy.

He also said he supports gun rights(he mentioned NRA) but that I have to understand they are a private company. I said I did and that I as a private citizen will exercise my right to go elsewhere if they leave up a sign that discriminates against me.

I am supposed to get an email from their head of security. I will post when I receive.

I joined this bank when it was a local bank called Crescent Bank. I had zero issues, but in 2010 or 2011 it failed and Renasant took it over.

Edit: Here is the pic from Jasper location. Thanks so much to UtiPossidetis for doing that.

Edit 2: I do not think the Canton location has "caps" or "hoods" on it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  2. mountainpass

I asked to speak to the Manager of Bank, but she was out until tomorrow, so I called corporate.

3. Nullifier

Nullifier Active Member

Just FYI, Crescent Bank in Jasper went broke and it was closed on July 23, 2010. I know because I was on the FDIC team that had to go close it down. We closed it on Friday night and it reopened the following Monday under the new ownership of Renasant.

I've been to half a dozen Renasant branches and have never seen that sign before. This must be something new.

4. mountainpass

I haven't noticed it in Jasper, but haven't been in 3 weeks(gonna try to find out today). The guy I spoke with at corporate said it was indeed corporate policy. I asked if it was new and didn't get that it was from his responses.

Edit: If anyone is out and about today and you see one pull in and see if they are posted. Photos if possible. Map: http://www.usbanklocations.com/map.php?zoom=4&lat=39.368279&lon=-98.891603&name=Renasant+Bank

5. mountainpass

Funny thing is I noticed this type of wording appears to have originated from the FL Bankers Assoc. in 2008. Their wording includes "hoods", my next question is why was that not included as it's obvious they copied that policy's wording.
    http://2knowabout.blogspot.com/2013/05/please-remove-hat-hood-and-sunglasses.html

6. mountainpass

Another 2008 source about FL:

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...019_1_florida-robberies-bank-robberies-heists

The Missouri "No Hats" signage was started in 2002.

7. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Those are two of the most rarely worn clothing articles in FL. :screwy:

8. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

It's up at the Jasper branch in the Ingles shopping center. Small white lettering to the left of the main doors.
    [​IMG]

9. mountainpass

Get a pic!

Edit: Please.

Edit 2: Guess I'll just go over there, ugg 2 hrs sleep last night. Tell me was it worded same as in Canton(highlighted in OP)?

10. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

I took one but can't seem to get it to load from my phone. Will try later again.

11. mountainpass

Send to my phone. I'll pm you the number.

Edit: Or download it to another website or social media then copy the address of pic, then you can post it here.

12. mountainpass

I do not think the one in Canton has "caps" or "hoods" but it is same type. Thank you so much for taking and posting that pic.

13. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

No problem. I was up there consulting today and remembered when I saw the sign for the bank from the road. My only concern was walking up to the bank wearing a baseball cap, sunglasses, CC, and taking a picture of the sign showing my multiple offenses ;)

14. mountainpass

LOL I know the sheriff on a first name basis, although I'm sure with all those offences best I could do is bring you toothpaste money at the jail.

15. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

If you wear a hat and sunglasses into some banks and they notice soon enough, they lock the doors in and out electronically with you stuck between them and ask you by speaker to remove your covering. This is a pretty standard requirement.

16. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Middle aged white guys in ties aren't often treated that way. Usually because they can tell we can afford a lawyer.

17. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

So, they request to please remove the items before entering?

So, typically, having all of those, I'd lay back the hood, take and put the sunglasses and cap in my hands, yes? And the weapon? It is also to be removed to my hands?

Reminds me of when I visited a branch in a grocery store. The manager-looking person passing through behind the counter asked if I wore "that" in public.

As the firearm could not be seen below their chest high counter, I was confused. "That," she said again, pointing to my shirt where it displayed the GeorgiaCarry.Org logo.

"What is wrong with that," I asked.

"You know. Carry! Aren't you afraid you'll scare people?"

I could only say, "No, it's just a shirt."

18. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

the owner of the pet store I worked at in college (clean cut early 30's white guy, wearing a polo shirt and leather jacket) got locked between the doors when he tried to enter with a hat and sunglasses on once. Of course that was at a Suntrust in a cruddy part of marietta.

19. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Hmm, false imprisonment I think. Locking the INTERIOR door - ok. Locking both interior and exterior, not ok. People think they can do whatever they want. Really sad. Let's see. Possible sceanario - middle aged white guy, no criminal history, regular customer, gets sunburned on his bald scalp and its a sunny day, comes to his regular bank with hat and sunglasses. He's a serious claustrophobic who is in treatment and on medication for his problem. They lock BOTH doors, he freaks, panics, and dies of a heart attack. Far fetched? Not really. Again, lock the interior door to your business - fine. Lock both, thereby trapping me, not ok.

20. chainsaw123

chainsaw123 GPDO Supporter

what if you broke the outer door glass to escape your imprisonment? Wonder how that would be interpreted!!