Photographer dies 6 months after beating in racial attack

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by StarJack, Oct 20, 2018.

1. StarJack

StarJack Well Aged Member

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Random attacks can occur at any time and circumstance, yes.
    Don't think you will be given a warning that a killer is about to jump you.
    On the other hand, how are you supposed to defend yourself when some random guy just sucker-punches you out of the blue and then beats you unconscious and steals your car and runs you over with it?

I don't see carrying a gun has helping you in that situation. Maybe mixed martial arts training. Boxing, maybe. Learn to deflect a punch or two and hit back to stun your attacker enough to draw your weapon.

But perhaps even if YOUR GUN cannot save you from a bigger, tougher street thug that goes all Kimbo Slice on your old soft white butt, maybe if more citizens carried guns some Good Samaritan could intervene with his or her gun and end the attack.

P.S. If this beating were what killed the victim, I'd say that we should all take note of it for the fact that an empty-handed beating by a single adversary can be "Deadly Force" and merit your own use of deadly force to stop it. But, in this case, the white guy was RUN OVER BY A CAR, too. So we can't even cite this case for that proposition.

3. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Better situational awareness might have helped the guy but you can't always catch everything around you.

As for infighting, most people have a terrible aversion to it. Being in bad breath range of a stranger is very intimidating and can be difficult to get over. But necessary if you value yourself.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

5. Malum Prohibitum

6. Malum Prohibitum

When Noel Olivarius joined the Freehold First Aid Squad 21 years ago, she said it was Jerry Wolkowitz who welcomed her into the family.

"Other crew members were treating me like I was some kid off the street," said Olivarius, who had served on another squad for three years prior to joining Freehold. "But Jerry understood that, yeah, I did know something. He kind of treated me like an equal and protected me and encouraged me to not take it personally."

That's the kind of person he is, an "innocent soul," says Olivarius and other friends of Wolkowitz.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...grapher-unresponsive-racial-attack/660890002/

7. Malum Prohibitum

As though hitting a man who was over twice his age and knocking him to the ground was not bad enough, Jamil Hubbard dragged Wolkowitz’s injured body into the parking lot of the apartment building. Once he had Jerry Wolkowitz on the ground in the parking lot of his apartment building, Jamil Hubbard got inside of Wolkowitz’s car. Then he ran the car over Jerry Wolkowitz’s head.
    . . .
    According to a statement that this vicious animal gave during pretrial he didn’t even know Jerry Wolkowitz. He chose him because he was white. That is the only thing that Jerry Wolkowitz did the day of May 1 while he was walking home. He was white. If the two had been reversed and it had been Jerry Hubbard who had been killed, the mainstream media would have covered this story. They have deliberately chosen to ignore this story, because Jerry Wolkowitz was a white guy.

https://www.halseynews.com/2018/10/21/jerry-wolkowitz-dies-five-months-after-hate-crime/