Phone repairman

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Adam5, May 23, 2017.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

A Kansas farm wife called the local phone company to report her telephone failed to ring when her friends called - and that on the few occasions, when it did ring, her dog always moaned right before the phone rang.

The telephone repairman proceeded to the scene, curious to see this psychic dog or senile lady. He climbed a telephone pole, hooked in his test set, and dialed the subscriber's house.
    The phone didn't ring right away, but then the dog moaned and the telephone began to ring.

Climbing down from the pole, the telephone repairman found:
    1 . The dog was tied to the telephone system's ground wire with a steel chain and collar.
    2. The wire connection to the ground rod was loose.
    3. The dog was receiving 90 volts of signaling current when the number was called.
    4.. After a couple of jolts, the dog would start moaning and then urinate.
    5. The wet ground would complete the circuit, thus causing the phone to ring.

Which demonstrates that some problems CAN be fixed by
    pissing and moaning.

2. oxfat

oxfat Member

Ha! Good one!

3. Bendrr

Bendrr Active Member

And it proves that, just like with automotive electrical systems, ground issues can be a real pain!

4. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

After 25 years in telecom, I have been that dog more than once. One memorable day I was rewiring my sisters new apartment, which had a rats nest of old phone wire, she kept calling over and over to ask what I wanted for lunch. I must have gotten bit 20 times. Hot, no AC, sweaty hands, plus 70 VAC...

5. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Why couldn't you just decide where you wanted to eat? Woulda saved a lot of pain, wouldn't it?

6. psrumors

psrumors Well-Known Member

...90 volts

I do believe I would have disconnected the line at the DMARC

7. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

There isnt always a demarc point. I know ive been zapped a few times. The normal 45-50 just tingles but when a call comes thru its unpleasant.

8. psrumors

Been doing this 30 years and have never seen a LEC bring a line in straight from the pole to the device and if I ever do, I'll cut the line.

And it's about 20 volts dc....I don't even notice the tingle

9. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

I havent been doing this nearly as long and have seen multiple occasions where there was no nid with a line run to a ramshorn then straight in and beanied to iw. Is it proper? No but ive seen it.

10. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

That wasn't the issue. There wasn't actually a phone connected at the time.

11. Bendrr

Bendrr Active Member

Ok since there seems to be a few on this thread knowledgeable about the subject, I gotta ask. How much current? I see one post saying 90 volts, one saying 20. Current is amps. So how much current? Voltage is just potential and it's only going to take as many volts as necessary to overcome the resistance in your body to send the current to ground. (still new to electrical theory so go easy if I'm way off on this)

12. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

I know. That was to be part of the joke. :)

13. psrumors

90 volts AC when ringing and if memory serves, about 75 mAh

20 volts DC when talking at about 25 mAh....again if memory serves on the current.