Philips Arena

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by LittleJerry, Oct 21, 2010.

1. LittleJerry

LittleJerry New Member

I realize that this is now legal. Has anyone tried it? Are they using metal detectors or is the standard "empty your pockets"?

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

It varies by event.

3. 70755

70755 Guest

Does Phillips Arena fall into this category from 16-11-127:

Or is it a "government building?" (I have no idea if it is a publicly owned or financed building and if it has a "government entity in it, hence making it a "government building".

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Philips arena is privately owned by Atlanta Spirit, LLC, the same group of investors that also owns the Hawks and Thrashers.

Depending on the event, there could be anything from no visible security to pat downs and metal detectors.

5. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Its legal to carry there but if you are told to leave you must a.s.a.p. or face a trespassing charge.

6. 70755

70755 Guest

Thx.

But that gets me to thinking. How is a citizen to know if he is walking into a publicly owned building or not? State and local governments tend to get their fingers into most anything these days if they can justify a return, so how is one supposed to be able to know which stadiums, arenas, amphitheater complexes, developments, etc might have some sort of public ownership stake (hence making them public, at least arguably so) as well as perhaps have some small government office it, even if in the basement, thereby making the entire building a government building as far as 16-11-127 goes?

For example, take the Cobb Energy Centre: From their web site: "The governing body of the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre is the Cobb-Marietta Coliseum and Exhibit Hall Authority, which owns and operates the Cobb Galleria Centre and Galleria Specialty Mall." I don't know how to interpret that as far as the building being "publicly owned" or not. I do believe the authority had to be government chartered.

As there are no notification requirements in the GA code for "government buildings" declaring themselves so, it seems like a bit of a potential trap for someone that carrys to fall into.

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Research them before going. The ownership of Philips Arena took about 10 seconds on Google to find out.

8. 70755

70755 Guest

Understood, but it's just not always so simple to tell.

Verizon Amphitheater? Well, turns out is owned by Woodruff Arts Center. Does City of Atlanta or Fulton County or the State of Georgia have a stake in WAC? I can't tell. If they do, then the offices at Verizon Amphitheater might qualify as an "instrumentality" of the state, and hence the whole place is a government building. At least I can see a prosecutor arguing so.

Gwinnett Arena - seems pretty clear this is publicly owned.

Cobb-Marietta Coliseum & Exhibit Hall Authority owns not only the centre and exhibit halls, but also the Galleria specialty mall as well. Does that mean I am violating 16-11-127 if I carry to the mall or to one of the restaurants located there? After all, the authority likely has an office there somewhere, and if it is all publicly owned or chartered, then..........(again, prosecutor hat on)

Bottom line is I think 16-11-127, if it is to stay around, needs some further tweaking as to the whole "government building" thing.

9. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Well, the legislature will be meeting next year. Start making those contacts with your elected senators and representatives. Take them out to lunch. Let them know who you are and what is important to you and the rest of us.

First item is to override Sonny's veto of SB291.

Let them know we're coming!

[​IMG]

10. 69953

69953 Guest

Is Woodruff arts center off limits? I didn't see anything online that led me to believe it was.

11. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

There is nothing on their site to indicate that it is, or that there is any Gov involvement with them.

12. BSCLibertarian

BSCLibertarian I'm kind of a big deal

Woodruff Arts Center is owned by The Woodruff Foundation.

ETA: They also own Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, 14th St. Playhouse, Alliance Theatre, Symphony Hall and The High Museum of Art. I have carried (CC - deeply concealed) into two of these places (Symphony Hall and The High) and have been to most of them and have never been searched at all. They would have previously been part of the the PG law but, of course, that is gone now. I have never seen what their firearms policy is. If someone noticed my weapon and asked me to leave I would have. YMMV

13. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Just being a Government owned building does not make it off limits. Remember, government owned means it's owned by the citizens. It has to meet the definition as applied in § 16-11-127 as to how it concerns carry.

14. LittleJerry

LittleJerry New Member

AAR:

No issues at all. Emptied my pockets when asked. Walked right in.

15. Glocker

Glocker Active Member

This makes it tricky. I'm going to see Roger Waters on November 18th and would really like to carry, but would really hate to walk up and see metal detectors. Especially since we plan on riding MARTA into the area instead of parking downtown.

Hmmm...what to do....what to do.... :-k

16. jreXD9

jreXD9 Active Member

got patted down at a Falcons game last year........BUT he didn't find my Sig P238.....and this was BEFORE it was legal.

17. Glocker

Glocker Active Member

Yeah, I'm not worried about a pat down. I'd be carrying my G30SF in the SmartCarry.

Unfortunately, there's no way around a metal detector. Maybe I'll drive all the way and park at Philips. At least I could go back to the car and lock my gun in the trunk if I spotted metal detectors. Ugh...

18. Glocker

Glocker Active Member

Does anyone know if you can check a gun with security at Philips Arena?

I really don't like the idea of being unarmed in that area of ATL, but I can't afford to miss my concert tomorrow night if they find my gun and make a big deal out of it. (I paid about $400 for my wife and I to have good seats. 8) )

I plan on carrying the G30SF in my SmartCarry.

Any ideas? Anyone? Thanks in advance! :D

19. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

Went last week to Phillips for the "Seize the Day" seminar. Checked SWMBO's purse. That seemed SOP. No pat-down, no removing your hat, no opening your coat, no metal detectors/wands.

Laura Bush, Sarah Palin, Bill O'Rielly were speakers, amongst others. You would think security might be heightened. It certainly was not in evidence at the gate.

20. Glocker

Glocker Active Member

Thanks so much for the response, fmlaw1! :D :D :D :righton:

I feel much more confident about carrying (deep concealment) at the concert tomorrow night.

My wife would KILL me if I was denied entry because I was carrying. :shattered: (I'm sure there are a lot of men on this forum that can relate to that :lol: )