Philips Arena...

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by GAGunOwner, Sep 9, 2007.

1. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I know a retired LEO who told me that he recently went to Philips Arena for a show. When he was standing in line a security guard was asking women to open their purses and everyone to empty their pockets. They were not using metal detectors.

When they got to him he told the security guard that he had a gun in his pocket and that he was a retired LEO. He said that the security guard looked kinda shocked and told him to wait. A little while later a real LEO arrived and checked his ID, wrote his seat number and name down, and allowed him to enter the arena.

There is no real point to this post, just thought I'd share.

2. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I'm glad that retired LEO has the right to defend himself when the rest of us don't.

3. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Even if the law were changed and GFL holders were allowed to carry in a place like this "they" probably would still prevent you from going inside with your gun.

4. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

One lawsuit would change their minds.

5. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

:( It's private property, after all. Then again, most of the wand monkeys won't stoop over and check your ankles...

6. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Yeah, it is private property. On what grounds would you sue?

7. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

So true. You can always count on people lazyness. :lol:

8. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Good point. I stand corrected.

9. budder

Has anyone been recently? Are they still just doing visual checks?

10. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, I OC in there the other day. No one even looked twice.

11. budder

You OCed? What were you there for? :shock:

12. MCM&P

MCM&P Guest

You might have to write that one off as "no one paying attention". Kinda like most of the TSA people screening your luggage at the airport. Kinda hard to find something wrong in a bag when your head is turned to the side jawjacking with a coworker. I fly a lot for work and I see this everytime I fly and every airport I go to. I was actually suprised the other day when I flew back into ATL, when I returned home and turned on the news they had caught 1 guy with a bag full of knives but told them he was not alone. I think the other guy made it on his flight and they were on their way to New York and ended up turning around. I'm pretty sure they said the plane had taken off, but it's been a little over a week since this has happened so it's possible the plane had not left the terminal but I thought I remembered them saying the plane had been returned to ATL.

13. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Smithy, this warrants an explaination or soon I will call :bsflag: .

14. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I know, it was :bsflag: . Kinda hard to portray sarcasm sometimes.

15. budder

Well, I was there tonight. Since I took MARTA (It's StabMARTA!), I didn't carry, but the guys at the door had flashlights (no wands) and were checking purses. They told me to empty my pockets. After showing him my cell from my left pocket, he let me in. I could've had my Kel-Tec still in the pocket, a normal gun IWB at 4 o'clock and another at 8 o'clock, and I could've been wearing a double firepower rig and he wouldnt' have noticed (I had on a large jacket).

16. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

The simple fact is that all people are lazy. Expecially when you get paid damn close to minimum wage. And to think how much energy will be spent checking everyones, everything for weapons. They are not going to try to hard.

Security in general is something to give you a warm fuzzy, nothing more nothing less in my opinion. It's all an illusion of safety. At least, at any place like what we are discussing.

17. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I found out today that he is a member of GCO.

18. Mastino177

Mastino177 Member

Who owns the arena?...was there any public, tax payer funds used. Would that mean anything?

19. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

From looking at their website, it looks like Atlanta Spirit is the parent company of the arena. Of course, they have a no guns, mace, pepper spray, offensive/defensive type weapons policy (listed on the arena's website), but I'm not sure if it holds any legal weight or not. They probably have metal detectors, though.

20. budder

I don't know if they bring those out for games, but no one was wanding when I went to a concert.