PG question

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by FireStar, Oct 17, 2007.

1. FireStar

FireStar Guest

Other than supporting GCO's efforts, what specific actions or events would have to take place in order to get the PG law off the GA books? And if that's not possible, can it be repealed or rendered obsolete somehow?

To clarify, I'm not asking what's being done currently. I just want to know what it would take.

(Please don't say case law. That would be discouraging.)

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Supporting GCO and GCO's legislative efforts is the best bet for making the PG law go away. It will also help if everyone were to talk to the representative and let them know that you support GCO and making the PG law a thing of the past.

3. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

It also wouldn't hurt to build a good rapport with your local Police Chief and Sheriff (and their officers and deputies). That way, even if the law is ridiculous, the enforcement may not be.

4. FireStar

FireStar Guest

How do you do that? Seriously. The Police Chief is not someone I come in contact with on a regular basis, and up until now I considered that a good thing.

What I'm curious about is what has to happen in the courts or the legal system for any law to be overturned, not specifically PG.

5. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

Firehouse, a little off topic, well way off....but anyway, you said on another post that work blocked you from this site? There were a couple of us that were blocked then magically weren't...keep trying.

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Educate cops? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I don't think it's a good idea to recuruit police help in overturning the public gathering clause, unless you're SURE that you can get some BIG, HIGH-RANKING officials from BIG AGENCIES to go along with the idea. I'm talking Chiefs of Police and Sheriffs from big cities, big counties.

If you talk to cops about the public gathering law and you DO manage to educate them about all the places it could be applied to, including parking lots, and people just passing-by a P.G. site, but you don't manage to convince them such a law is bad, guess what you've done? You've shown them how they can instruct their officers to make a lot more arrests for these charges!

If the law is bad and enforcement of it would be contrary to our interests, we should be careful about how much we publicize the details of this bad law to those who have the responsibility for enforcing it "as is."

7. budder

If your PD/SO has a citizen's police academy, you can attend that. It would give you a chance to meet several officers and some of the brass (almost certainly the Chief) and talk with them in a non-confrontational environment. You could also volunteer to help around the station or help coordinate events, which would get you some contact at least at the Major level (I'm guessing- one of the Majors is in charge of community stuff in Sandy Springs, and we're a small city). Or, you could always try to schedule a meeting with him and just talk with him about your questions and concerns. Hopefully, he will be open to discussion, even if he doesn't agree with you.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

It would take a repeal of the public gathing clause, O.C.G.A. 16-11-127. My suggestion is that first, you read the Five Minute Handbook available on GCO's web site. Then I would suggest you take your representative to lunch, be nice, and ask whether they were aware that Georgia has more places off limits to carry than any other state in the nation? I can assure you they probably are not aware of this.

GCO has handy maps that can be used for illustration purposes.
    http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/about/p ... ed-places/

This approach usually cuts right through the "I support the right to keep and bear arms" statements and the "Georgia is a gun friendly state" comments that are typically offered as a follow up.

Then just be friendly and talk about your concerns with Georgia's gun laws in an open and polite manner.

Can't stop at an interstate rest stop because the restroom is a public gathering (publicly owned and operated), can't carry at any restaurant that serves alcohol. Mr. Representative, have you ever parked at the parking lot at Hartsfield with a gun in your glovebox? Don't answer! That is a felony with a 10-20 year penalty. Bring up the bus stops law.

Others have criticized my suggestion that you take your representative to lunch. Let me ask you this. When else are you likely to get 20 uninterrupted minutes with your legislator? Also, a lunch is usually not expensive, and offers the opportunity to engage in small talk. This is about relationship building. It also helps in scheduling, since everybody has to eat.

"Sending an email" is fine, but an email from somebody you don't know hardly has the same effect as an email from "that nice lady who took me to lunch and talked with me about her concerns over Georgia's gun laws. I did not even know Georgia had all these laws!"

Your representative should know you from an in person meeting prior to the start of the legislative session (January). With the holidays approaching, that really means you ought to start now! :D

9. budder

I was expecting a Larry Craig joke after this.

10. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

No that is stopping at the airport restroom, which is also off limits (2 fold, it is a PG and the hijacking law).

11. FireStar

FireStar Guest

I have tried it a few times since, and it's still blocked. I'd keep at it, but every time I do, it registers that I have hit a blocked site under the websense category "weapons" ... and I'm quite sure that those hits are being tracked. I can't even browse the Smith&Wesson site. But I can get into GCO just fine. For now.

12. FireStar

FireStar Guest

I'd have no problems meeting a representative for some face time ... except for the fact that I'm way too ignorant of the law right now. I don't even know what OCGA stands for, or why there is a § in the references. At this point I could not hold my own with a representative, nor produce a cohesive compelling argument based on something more than just passion.

That being said, I'm using you guys for the education part first. :) Thanks for all the input.

13. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

GS1,

Is there still a mirron site that Firehouse can try to access? I know that there used to be one.

14. budder

allytv.net

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Official Code of Georgia, Annotated

§ = Section.

16. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

Yeah when I was blocked I was still able to get into GCO. Think maybe that there's a gun toten techy working the firewalls here :D

17. FireStar

FireStar Guest

:woohoo:

It worked! Well, I wasn't able to sign in or search, but I could view any and all the posts that I wanted. Nice.

18. Malum Prohibitum

GCO is working on concise "talking points" in outline form to help members study up on this and guide the discussion, should anyone wish to rely upon them.

19. FireStar

FireStar Guest

Would that be the one you hinted about in this thread? I've been looking for that to show up.

20. Malum Prohibitum

No, that is an article on the Jim Crow origins of Georgia's gun laws. That will come out soon, too, and it will be posted on the web site.