Pet peeve about LEOs

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by tace, Aug 10, 2007.

1. tace

tace New Member

Don't mean to sound anti-LEO here since I have seriously considered joining APD more than once, but one of my biggest pet peeves about LEOs is how they seem to ignore all traffic laws even while casually driving.

This morning on the way to work, I came to an intersection where the traffic lights were out. So, as a good driver, I came to a complete stop, checked all sides and was about to enter the intersection when an APD motorcycle cop casually just rides through the intersection without even slowing down. Guess who had to slam on his brakes so I wouldn't run over his Harley riding ass.

Another thing, do any of the APD officers know how to use turning signals?

/rant

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

They do it off duty, too. On duty, who is going to give them a ticket? Off duty, an officer generally will not write another officer a ticket. As a result, there is no disincentive to ignoring traffic laws.

Sit down by Forsyth on the interstate in the morning sometime and clock all the cops speeding to their training classes at 90 mph + . . .

It is very hypocritical.

3. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

"Who's gonna tell me I can't? I AM THE POLICE!!!" You would figure since they are always looked at as if threw a microscope, they would follow everything by the T. Guess not. There is bad people in every organization. I try to give the beneift of the doubt.

4. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Well, take this logic - "I believe very much in gun safety - if there's a gun in the room, I'M the one who is going to have it. I'm trained."

Now apply here - "If there's going to be someone speeding, I'm going to be the one to do it. I'm trained."

There ya go!

:roll:

5. AV8R

AV8R Banned

[sarcasm] You guys are just being haters. I once saw an LEO wearing a seatbelt. Besides, many subjects break the same laws and drive without regard to safety or common courtesy. [/sarcasm]

Seriously though... Are there any legit reasons why an LEO would be speeding without his lights? Just curious.

6. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Just don't do it this coming Monday morning. :wink:

7. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Yes, there are times when an officer needs to get somewhere in a hurry but doesn't need to announce that he/she is coming such as a hold up alarm or other calls in which you'd rather not announce to the bad guy that you will be arriving in a minute or so.

8. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I'm not a LEO (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night). :wink:

Seriously though - there are many times they are responding to calls that don't warrant using lights, etc but the call is still urgent. I can attest to many times when riding with friends that officers get behind someone who suddenly is the best driver in the world upon seeing the squad car behind them. And during these times the cop is screaming at them to drive like they normally do because he had to get somewhere.

Just what I know from personal experience.

9. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Well that makes sense. I can't say anything bad about cops who speed, make quick lane changes, go from 0 to 70 in 6 seconds because I'm doing the same thing. However the motorcycle cop mentioned above appears to just be ignorant. LEO or not, rolling through an intersection with a broken traffic signal is just stupid, especially on a motorcycle.

10. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Like domestic violence calls :(

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

+1

But there is always that one idiot who turns on his siren . . .

12. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Exactly.

13. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Or pulls right up to the front door...

Of course on a fight call you make as much noise as possible en route and maybe even drive around the block a time or two so that you only have to deal with the loser... :p :p :twisted: :twisted:

14. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Now that's funny right there :up:

15. tony218

tony218 New Member

i had a friend with the GBI that told me he was paid to
    enforce the law, not obey it.

16. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Now we have to get paid to obey the law?

:roll: :twisted:

17. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

If we start getting paid let me know because I'd be rich.

18. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't :(

19. merlock

merlock New Member

:shock: [-( 8)