Permit Renewal - Henry County

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by cbp0229, Sep 25, 2006.

1. cbp0229

cbp0229 Member

I went to Henry County Probate Court today to renew my permit. I was told that they do not do renewals anymore nor do they issue temp. permits. They said I had to go through the whole process again. Is this really true?? :shock: My permit expires 11/1 and I don't think I will get the new one in time... so I guess I won't carry if I don't get it before 11/1. Also, they made me give my SS# and work address... thought they couldn't do that anymore?

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

They are not supposed to take your SSN and work address. A federal case was recently tried and DPS who makes the application forms, changed them so that the info is not optional. Henry is using the old forms.

Partially true. The court no longer can do a background check locally. They have to send it off to GBI and they have to perform a fingerprint check when you renew.
    Some how all of these courts have it in their heads that just because they no longer have the option to perform the local background check, means that the Temporary Renewal License should not be issued.
    I am currently tracking down where this information is coming from. I just got off the phone with a person with the Council of Probate Court Judges who unfortunatly did not have any information about it.

Read http://www.georgiapacking.org/gflrenew.php for the new renewal information.

Also, the online code has now been updated with 2006 bills, so if you look at the bottom you can see that subsection (i) the temporary renewal part of the law is still there.
    http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/GaCode/?t ... ection=129

3. cbp0229

cbp0229 Member

Thanks....

Thanks for the information. I saw the court order for issuing without a SS#, but I didn't see anything about the work address. I wonder what the possibility is for a class action lawsuit... not for money, but just to force the probate courts to follow the law that they are sworn to uphold. Just for those not following the law. They told me it would be up to 16 weeks before I got my new permit, which means I will be with out a permit for a period of time... which means my rights are being restricted for that amount of time. :evil:

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

It was not in the Court order itself but it did change because of that case. When they changed the application for the SSN being optional they changed the Employment info too.

The newest application says under the SSN that it is optional, but will help prevent misidentification and under the Employment Info that it is optional, but will be helpful for contacting applicant (though I don't know why knowing how long you have worked somewhere helps them contact you).

This topic talks about the case and the application http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=794

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:soapbox:

6. cbp0229

cbp0229 Member

Lawyer?

Anyone know a good lawyer that can help with this? I can't afford a lot of money to spend on it, but i am willing to take this on in court. I'd love nothing more than to walk back into the probate court with a court order from a higher court ordering them to issue me a temp. permit.

7. cbp0229

cbp0229 Member

Well...

By the time I take the legal route I'd probably have my permit... but I'd still do it because they were such jerks even though I was calm 100% of the time I was there.