Permit frustration

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Blackadder, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Blackadder

Blackadder New Member

Maybe some of you have some insight that can help me, or at least help me feel better.

I am a Barrow County resident (not from there, thank God) who submitted an application for a CCW permit 4 months ago.

The probate court told me that it could be as much as SIX MONTHS before they receive background checks that will allow them to issue my permit. The sherrif's office also told me that the GBI has a backlog of 5 months for processing fingerprints.

Are they full of it, or is the State really this delinquent on processing background checks.

Any advice to help me expedite my CCW permit issue would be appreciated.

2. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

They are full of it in telling you the GBI has a 5 months backlog. We know this because we have asked the GBI. They are not full of it when they tell you it will take that long, because, as you can see, it really is taking that long.

The issue of whether the probate courts must issue GFLs within 60 days currently is before the GA court of appeals. See a discussion of this topic and read the court documents here. While a decision may not come in time to help you, the issue is being worked. If you would like to help the process, consider joining georgiacarry.org.

3. Blackadder

Blackadder New Member

I've dug up some info from the GBI, but I'm going to move this over to the GFL discussion now that I know the site a little better