Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was ten years old, and always loved those Guillows wooden airplanes with the rubberband motor.

One day I was in my back yard of the house that is no longer there. I wound it up and hand launched it.

It made a circular path counter-clockwise and barely cleared a solitary small bush and came in for a smooth landing near my feet.

Still satisfying to this day. Afterwards, I blinked and became an old man.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Took my 5 y.o. grandson to a G-Braves game a while back. Paid $10 for the unlimited jump house / inflatable pass. Best $10 I have ever spent, hope I created one for him.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
We had to make a kite in the 6th grade. We were allowed help. My dad and I made one from Christmas paper and stick weeds. It flew higher than all the others my class mates brought in.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,534 Posts
I was ten years old, and always loved those Guillows wooden airplanes with the rubberband motor.

I've been glancing over the title, and ONLY the title, to this thread for days.
Then, I thought to myself,

"I should post in this one about how much I loved going for a short walk with my dad to the corner grocery and deli, which I called "the glider store" because they sold those assemble-yourself balsa wood gliders for something like 79 cents.'

At the time, I couldn't care less, back in those days, about the soda pop and potato chips and other stuff they sold there. It was "the glider store" to me.

ISN'T IT FUNNY HOW WE WERE BOTH THINKING THE SAME THING ! ? ! ?

P.S. The other day I saw some of those same Guillows gliders and rubber-band powered airplanes at Ace Hardware. They were five bucks for the gliders and seven bucks for the motor-equipped ones. Talk about sticker shock!!

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's really cool, gunsmoker! :righton:

And the sticker shock - you ain't kiddin'. I saw one at Stone Mountain Park yesterday. It was either $12.99 or $15.99. Aviation is just not the same these days. :lol:

I've been glancing over the title, and ONLY the title, to this thread for days.
Then, I thought to myself,

"I should post in this one about how much I loved going for a short walk with my dad to the corner grocery and deli, which I called "the glider store" because they sold those assemble-yourself balsa wood gliders for something like 79 cents.'

At the time, I couldn't care less, back in those days, about the soda pop and potato chips and other stuff they sold there. It was "the glider store" to me.

ISN'T IT FUNNY HOW WE WERE BOTH THINKING THE SAME THING ! ? ! ?

P.S. The other day I saw some of those same Guillows gliders and rubber-band powered airplanes at Ace Hardware. They were five bucks for the gliders and seven bucks for the motor-equipped ones. Talk about sticker shock!!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Oh, those were certainly the days. I lived for being outside and lived life to the fullest...no internet, no video games, only TV was The Incredible Hulk and Knight Rider. I rode my bike just as far as my little legs could get me and on many occasions, that was MILES from home. Summer camp meant going to the mountains (in the middle of NO WHERE) for two weeks and camping in a shelter that had only a single light bulb. Sitting around a fire every night talking about the "Chicken Lady" and how the previous year, several campers disappeared and all signs pointed to the Chicken Lady doing it!

I think that is what I really liked about "Stranger Things"...it did a great job of portraying what it was like to be a kid in the early 80s. Well...except for the "upside down world"...that would have SUCKED! ;)

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
Oh, those were certainly the days. I lived for being outside and lived life to the fullest...no internet, no video games, only TV was The Incredible Hulk and Knight Rider. I rode my bike just as far as my little legs could get me and on many occasions, that was MILES from home. Summer camp meant going to the mountains (in the middle of NO WHERE) for two weeks and camping in a shelter that had only a single light bulb. Sitting around a fire every night talking about the "Chicken Lady" and how the previous year, several campers disappeared and all signs pointed to the Chicken Lady doing it!

I think that is what I really liked about "Stranger Things"...it did a great job of portraying what it was like to be a kid in the early 80s. Well...except for the "upside down world"...that would have SUCKED! ;)
This is exactly how I spent my childhood too, and hunting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.