People who let pets roam free, then act surprised when get squashed.

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by TITAN308, Feb 2, 2017.

1. TITAN308

TITAN308 :) :) :)

Long story short my neighborhood has a community facebook page.

Without fail every month or so someone posts a "missing cat" or "cat got run over" thread and the owners get all emotional and act surprised.

Yes its only cat people who seem to think its natural to let their domesticated pets wander around freely. I keep my mouth shut though every single time this happens its an opportunity to point out what a bunch of bafoons they are. Last thing I need is slashed tires or crazy people meltdowns on facebook.

Sorry that is my rant. :|

2. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

I know of a large dog (85lb mixed shepherd, it looked like) roaming free with another large dog that had a pistol pointed at when it started to come into my driveway while I was taking out the trash recently. I'm very glad it stopped and decided to go elsewhere. I had no desire for any drama that evening and just wanted to go back in the house and relax, and I did.

3. kineticmind

kineticmind يفخر الكافر

We have some strays that my incorrigible neighbors love to feed. Being the sneaky little critters that they are, we often find them in our garage spraying and what I can only assume is making kittens from the sound of things.

I've repeatedly asked the neighbors to stop feeding them, or at least trap them and have them spayed/neutered, but to no avail. Most of them are feral and won't come near a human.

I can tolerate them dragging half eaten bunny rabbits into my yard and other minor annoyances, but I can't tolerate them sneaking inside the garage. Whole house smells like cat piss and my daughter is allergic to them. She's been coughing constantly for several weeks. The pound won't help. They won't even lend traps. Gotta get on a waiting list.

We've tried all the humane deterrents, none have worked for us. It looks like it's about time to break out the Beeman and put an end to it myself. Is it considered animal cruelty if it's a clean kill and the animal is inside my house? Really don't want to kill them, and definitely don't want to get in trouble if I do, but I'm out of options at this point.

4. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

My cats stay inside. They're too derpy to survive traffic and if 1800 Sq feet is too small of a cage for them they can just get over it.

5. mog

mog Active Member

Maybe close your garage door? I'd also say others opinions(and probably the law) would probably say yes, killing is inhumane, or at least will get you in trouble.

6. Feral

Feral Active Member

Haha. My cat I had I also kept inside. If she had wandered outside and was run over I would be upset but at the least rational about the situation. If I ever have a cat that I allow to roam I accept the possibility that they could be run over.

7. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Contact one of the cat rescue groups. Sometimes they will help trap/spay/release feral cats.

If you don't get any help; a shovel, a burlap sack, and silence are your best friends.

8. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Buy a trap and bait it. Take them out to the woods and release or to animal control.

9. CardsFan

CardsFan Member

10. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Dog owners are just as guilty. We have a neighbor who opens his front door every day at ~7AM to let his stupid little peek-a-poo out for his morning ritual. The world is his toilet. He pisses and sh*ts on every lawn except his own, goes into any open garage, harasses the dogs that are fenced in or being walked by their owners and thinks he can take on any car on the street. 45 minutes later he goes back home, barks and the owner lets him in.

Yeah, I spoke with him once about it. It was like talking to drywall.

11. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

You can buy the Have-A-Heart traps at Home Depot. Trap them and take them to animal control. With any luck the owner will find them and recover their pet. If they are feral they will be put down if not adopted. Cat Rescues watch for this and will rescue most of them. Or you can get a cat rescue to come and get them sometimes.

12. kineticmind

kineticmind يفخر الكافر

We do close the garage doors. They hide by the corner of the house and sneak in in the two minute it takes to pull in and close the door again. We have four kids, so we're busy getting them inside, fed, changed, etc., anytime we pull in and don't always think to go back to the garage, crawl on our hands and knees to check under cars, boxes, lawnmowers, etc.

Tried basic open-end cage traps, they're too smart for those. Will consider some of the others, but I'm past the point of worrying about being humane to them. They are making my 2-year-old daughter chronically sick. If I can't trap them, which I've tried, I'm going to eliminate the problem.

13. kineticmind

kineticmind يفخر الكافر

Will look into those traps, but these are feral, definitely not pets. We caught one and gave it to animal control and it was vicious. The others have dragged birds and even grown rabbits half-eaten and left the carcasses in my yard. Luckily not the garage... yet.

I'll see about the rescue groups, but I doubt they will spend much time on feral cat problems. Plus, these only sneak in the garage occasionally, but the scent they leave if noxious and it's affecting my daughter's allergies.

Not to the point of killing them, but I'm getting there.

14. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

I have used the Have-A-Heart traps to relocate squirrels and chipmunks to parks when they became overwhelming. They are open on both ends and close rapidly. I used black oiled sunflower seeds as bait. for cats a small amount of smelly canned cat food should work well on the trip located in the center of the cage. Don't put the trap in the garage. Stake it down so they can't turn it over and escape.

15. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

The next door neighbor has a cat that has left little irritating cat paw prints on freshly washed vehicles in my yard recently. When we first moved to the neighborhood the lady said "oh I have a cat" as if that should make everything the cat did perfectly ok. It does not.

16. mog

mog Active Member

Wow, sneaky little buggers. You could accidentally leave some double treble hooked fishing lures laying around out there, where the kids can't get to them of course. That's always fun.

17. FrontSight

FrontSight Well-Known Member

Had an “across the alley†neighbor 5 years ago that had a passel of cats, 78 was the final count. She had a Manx that was so vicious that it had maimed her other cats, so she kept it a cage in her house and put it on a 12 ft lead stake to a post when it was outside. Stupid feline would walk in circles screaming like a woman. Cats would lay down beside my fence and torment my dog when he was outside in the fence. I called Animal Control and they declared them nuisance cats and allowed me to trap them, but it had to be a humane trap and I could only trap from Sunday PM through Thursday PM. I was required to deliver them to the Humane Society within 24 hours of trapping. And I would be responsible for any injuries to them. It was bad enough that I purchased a trap, but the cat lady would come on my property in the wee hours of the morning and release them or trip the trap so I gave up.

Well, a year later, she passed away from a pulmonary embolism, and no one was there to feed the damned cats so they really started to roaming the neighborhood then. Cats were all over my carport at night, and tried to get in the cooler where we stored dog food. So I set the trap again and caught 14 within 4 days, no shelter for these, they went to the country to get in touch with their wild relatives. Animal Control carried off the tame ones and trapped the feral ones totaling 64 on their part, 14 on my part, and no sure how many left the neighborhood. My dog was ecstatic, peace at last for him, and no more digging under the fence to chase those damned cats.

Tractor Supply has the traps and smelly canned cat food is the best bait. Might even trap a raccoon also if they are in your neighborhood.

18. Ken1961

Ken1961 Dei Gratia

I love cats. I've raised them and dogs all my life. These cats are dangerous. If it was my child's health at stake, believe me, my Benjamin Trail .22 would be put to use.

19. phaed

phaed Active Member

leashes and discipline for your pet aren't for my protection, they're for your pet's protection from me.

20. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Loose cats and little dogs don't tend to get squished much in my neighborhood. They just appear on "missing critter" signs about 2 days after I hear coyotes yowling at night.

Then the neighbors get all twitchy and want somebody to do something about the coyotes. If they'd just stop feeding pets to the dang things they'd stop coming back.