Penalty/legal protection for carrying/using in restricted

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Ned, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Ned

Ned New Member

Am I correct that if you were caught carrying in say a parking lot that turned out to be restricted (misdemeanor area) you would lose your license immediately and not be able to get another until 3 years after all the punishment has been completed? I base this on:
    "any person who has been convicted of a violation of Code Section 16-11-126, 16-11-127, or 16-11-128 and has not been free of all restraint or supervision in connection therewith for at least three years, immediately preceding the date of the application;"

Also, if a GFL holder used lethal force with their firearm in an otherwise legal manner but they were in a restricted parking lot, would they still be afforded protection under the laws pertaining to standing your ground?

The reason I ask this is because it seems like many people are saying/inferring they still carrying in some of these restricted areas like state parks, these parking lots, airport parking lot(which is a felony), but if you aren't protected under the law then you would just ended up with a manslaughter charge and a lengthy jail sentence.

2. triggerman357

triggerman357 Active Member

Parking lots can be tricky. It depends on the duration and purpose for me in a resticted parking lot. Also, on federal property, I never carry concealed on me. Any time I have to leave my car on govt property, I unload my weapon and separate it from the ammo. Don't mess around at airports! If you have to pick someone up, try to do it as quickly as possible, and pay CLOSE ATTENTION to any police instructions. For me, my car is an extention of my home, I keep one there at all times when I'm driving. I don't advise carrying anywhere thats off limits, but also don't make it point to drop my weapon off at home, because I got to get some stamps. I try to make sound judgement calls and avoid restricted areas where I feel unsafe without a weapon.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Re: Penalty/legal protection for carrying/using in restricte

This is correct for the misdemeanor ones, but not the felonies (16-11-127.1, 16-12-123 and 127).

Not the new ones, no.

Well, people carry because they wish to protect themselves and their family, regardless of laws that disarm them and make things better for the assailant than the assaulted. You are, however, incorrect in your statement that a proper defensive killing would result in a "manslaughter charge and a lengthy jail sentence." You would not have immunity in such a circumstance, and you would probably be prosecuted successfully for carrying in a place off limits, but you could still win on self defense if you shot in self defense.

4. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Re: Penalty/legal protection for carrying/using in restricte

One has to wonder though.

The recent MARTA shootings do NOT seem to have resulted in charges for carrying a gun at MARTA. I don't know the details, but it seems like the shooter only got charged for his acts, not his posession of prohibited firearm(s).

5. Ned

Ned New Member

Thanks for the responses. That was exactly what I was looking for MP. Its too bad GA laws are so convoluted!