Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went in today to have a set of night sights installed on my FNP 45 USG. I had purchased them a few weeks ago directly from Ameriglo, but hadn't had time to get them installed. I have had night sights installed locally (Statesboro) with mixed results, so I was looking for someone in Savannah. I won't name names, but they scratched the heck out of them.

I was recommended to Pedro by Matt from Patrick's. He said he could do it until he looked at them. He said he didn't want to "strong arm" the sights (the dovetail is tight on the FNP 45) and risk scratching my gun. They do Glocks and others on a regular basis, but this was something he said he would rather have someone else do.

I called Wednesday, talked to Pedro, and he said he could do it.

I finally had the time to go this morning. i had never been there, so it was nice to finally go. Pedro looked at my gun, looked at the night sights, and noticed an immediate problem. The front sight's dovetail was too narrow, and the post was too short. He asked where I got them from, I told him. Pedro said, "This is the second pair I've seen like this from AmeriGlo this mor... Wait a minute!"

Pedro got out his cell phone, started going through tickets, and called up a gentleman who had brought in a S&W M&P 45 to have AmeriGlo night sights installed on. His front sight was too wide and too tall! He also got his directly from the company's website! Pedro explained the situation, and asked if the gentleman could come back.

About 10 minutes later the guy walks in. We chat, swap front sights to eyeball tolerances, and they were exact matches. Good ol' Ameriglo...

Pedro came out (he had just finished a trigger job), looked them over, looked at me, and said "give me 15 minutes". Well, in less than 10, he came back out. They were perfectly aligned. He played with the trigger and said he could make the double action much better if I was interested in letting him do it sometime. I might have to take him up on that when the money allows.

They had a good selection of new and used guns. The big thing I liked about the store was that he had some of his custom guns for sale. I didn't think an Uberti could look that nice, but his engraving was phenomenal! It's also the only store I've walked into that had more than one M1 Garand for sale. I didn't check the prices, but they were gorgeous! Beautiful wood!

All in all, a great experience! :righton:

·
Ordinary Average Guy
2,934 Posts
That's great he was able to square away both pistol's night sights for you guys. :)

I've been in to Pedro's shop a couple of times recently. Small store front, but from what I can tell from looking through the large window, the gunsmithing section in the back looks impressive. 8)

Friendly folks behind the counter and YES! Those M1s are beautiful! :love:

·
Just a Man
6,089 Posts
For gun smithing work in the Savannah area, Pedro is incredibly talented. He is a shooter too, so he knows what he is doing for sure. A great guy to talk with. We are very lucky to have him in our area.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
The store front is just to keep people happy. Like all gunsmiths Pedro makes his living in the back. Maybe one day you will get lucky enough to just sit and watch a MASTER at work. I have been lucky enough to watch and Pedro has forgotten more than most "master gunsmiths" will ever know. As good of a gunsmith as he,is he is an even nicer person AND he has the heart of a teacher. We down here in Savannah are blessed to have him here! :righton:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From the price I overheard on the trigger job, and the cost to have my night sights installed, I would venture to say he is probably the best value for expertise as well.

It only took Pedro about 10 minutes to install my night sights, but they were perfectly aligned and he didn't animalize anything in the process. The cost was $35, but I paid that for the same work on a Glock at Southeastern.

The difference? Speed and quality of the work.

I told my wife this story at dinner tonight. She told me two things. The first is that I can't buy anymore guns unless they come from Patrick's or Pedro. The second was that Pedro is going to do anything else I need done to a gun! :lol:

·
Just a Man
6,089 Posts
I went to see Pedro today. His small shop was hooping for sure.

Took my new to me CBOB in for a trigger job, because I thought the current trigger was unsafe. Pedro took the time (even though he was slammed) to confirm it was in fact unsafe. I left it with him, and hopefully I will get it back next week.

·
Just a Man
6,089 Posts
LoneOak said:
Just curious TMoore but what is wrong with the trigger on your CBOB?
LoneOak, to be quite honest I'm not exactly sure. When I picked it up in trade I tested the function of it and it seemed fine. It had a very light trigger on it, so I knew I would want Pedro to do a trigger job on it. The first and only time I took it to Patrick's to shoot it, it was unreal accurate. But someone, before I owned it, seemed to have done a really light trigger job on it. (I'm assuming this.) The gun double tapped on me with one pull of the trigger. Then every so often, after a shot, the hammer would follow the slide home after chambering another round. Unsafe for sure. I didn't have time to address the issue before sending it off to have the Atranite treatment done to it. So, now I get to wait again for the trigger to be fixed. But it was the right thing to do.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Anyone know if Pedro does any coatings/finnishes like cerakote, ect?

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Dinnertime said:
I know Pedro does bead blasting and Duracoat and some other things...not sure about cerakote. Also keep in mind for right now that Pedro is working about 14 hours a day 6 days a week to try and catch up. He is about a month and a half behind because he has so much work.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Dinnertime said:
He sends his bluing jobs out to another shop, although I don't know where. As for his work, he is a magician working with a revolver too. I had him repair the timing, do an action job, and chamfer the cylinder on a S&W 67-1. The trigger is like butter. In fact, there are two cops in Hinesville that tried to get me to sell it.

Pedro is the man. :bowdown:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I had him do a trigger job on my FN FNP9m, and the result was amazing. They trigger pull was already butter smooth, but it came out even smoother, and lighter, esp on DA. Went from 5.5 lbs/11 lbs to 3.5 lbs/7 lbs.

Id highly recommend him to anyone lucky enough to get into his que. He will sometimes do trigger jobs and other quick things on the spot, but like others have said, his wait for larger jobs is quite long.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Im dragging this back to the top to ask if Pedro can do custom work to a Ruger GP100 similar to what Gemini customs does. I dont want to ship the gun out if I dont have to.

Basically, shorten and recrown a barrel and reinstal the front sights, action work (im sure he can do this) chamfer cylinders, cut for moon clips maybe some other things?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
earlthegoat2 said:
Im dragging this back to the top to ask if Pedro can do custom work to a Ruger GP100 similar to what Gemini customs does. I dont want to ship the gun out if I dont have to.

Basically, shorten and recrown a barrel and reinstal the front sights, action work (im sure he can do this) chamfer cylinders, cut for moon clips maybe some other things?
I don't know about the cutting, but he would be happy to look at it. Stop by and talk to him! He and his sales person are very nice people.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hunley said:
earlthegoat2 said:

I don't know about the cutting, but he would be happy to look at it. Stop by and talk to him! He and his sales person are very nice people.
Where is he located at? I know if Matt recommends him, he has to be awesome.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Wildshot said:
three se7ens said:
His shop is on Montgomery Crossroads near the intersection of White bluff
Heading east on Abercorn, do you turn right or left on Montgomery? How far to where is located afer turning onto MCR? Right or left? Thanks.
Abercorn heads north well before you get to Montgomery Crossroads. Anyways, you head east on Montgomery crossroads, and it will be on your right hand side in the first strip mall past the light at White Bluff.

7 E Montgomery Crossroad
Savannah, GA 31406
(912) 925-0799

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.