Pediatrician Rant...

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by Wheedle, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

Why doesn't the pediatrician ask about chemicals, stairs, pools, large breed dogs, smoking, alcohol, sneaky uncles, violent stepparents or any of a thousand other things in a household that could be hazardous to a child if used or stored improperly ? Nope, other than asking about car seats once, nothing else is mentioned... except guns, three times... They asked if there were guns in the home twice, then suggested that any guns in the home should be stored seperate from ammo. Im not sure what she thought of my 'a gun without anmo is less useful than a club' comment.

If its not on me, it's locked up in one of three safes. One biometric handgun safe, one electronic combo safe, and one keyed 8-rifle safe. I have the keys on me at all time. But, all three pistols stay condition 0, the 12ga stays condition 1, and the LR308 stays condition 3, spare mags and ammo for everything. Everything else is unloaded. A gun without a round in the chamber is all but useless in a SD/HD situation, and I keep my weapons status in reflection of this.

Most importantly, we discuss gun safety often, with frequent random 'quizzes'. We discuss gun safety even with toy weapons.

2. mark5019

mark5019 what me worry?

i had to see my drs partner last week we were talking asked me if i had weapons i said why he said what did i think of a g19 i said was great edc and i carry a czp07

3. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Those in the medical profession need to stick to what they do well.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Tell the doctor to mind his own [email protected]^{£>? business.
    I would not answer.
    Those are not medical questions.

5. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

C'mon now. We all know this is being pressured upon them from the nation's largest single payer.

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

If gun safety is healthcare, then kaiser Permanente should pay for monthly check ups at the range where I can check up on my safety and proficiency with my firearm

And her the healthcare exchange is, I should be able to get a "major firepower "policy that pays all defense necessary expenses and any network affiliated gun shop or sporting good store in my area, subject to a 20% co-pay .

7. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Just tell them you had to sell the one you inherited from your grandpa to pay the extremely high doctor bills and buy the scripts.

Nemo

8. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Just flex your biceps and say, "You mean these, or the arsenal I have in every room of my house?" :lol:

9. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I'm sure Medicare pays a whole lot of those pediatrician bills.

10. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

She and her family are definitely not gun-folks. Oddly enough, the conversation became interesting after he started telling her about the trip to see the gun range and his budding interest in shooting. She talked about her unease with her son's new love of nerf guns, and seemed genuinely interested when we were talking about he 80 year old JC Higgins youth .22 that I learned with, and that he would soon learn with. I told her how we were introducing he basics of gun safety, and she also seemed interested in that.She, her husband, and their oldest son go to the same Tae Kwon Do school as my son, so we see each other and talk outside her office regularly. I think I might see if they are interested at all in learning real firearms safety and maybe even learning to use a friearm.

11. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Agreed!

12. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Drowning from pools kill more children every year by a large factor!

13. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

U.S. Guv'ment. Between Medicare, Medicaid, and TriCare they're the largest payor.

14. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

The largest group striken down by drowning are black males aged five and under. The major contributor is being unable to swim. The most common month is May. I know, it happened in my own backyard pool. The child met EVERY criteria listed.

Parents, for heaven's sake get your child swimming lessons. Go to the YMCA, ask a friend, hire a teenager. Whatever it takes.

2/3 of this planet is water. Not knowing how to swim is suicide. And not teaching your children is child abuse.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  15. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Interesting. The only child I knew that drowned was White teenager , excellent swimmer and drowned in his own pond.

16. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

I guess you can refuse to answer such questions, or meet such questions with a stony silence. But, of course, refusing to answer that question, is really to answer it, right?

17. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Well-Known Member

And some doctors may not care, while others could decline to see you as a patient. I think it was the American Academy of Pediatrics who suggested to their members to ask this question and "counsel" about safe gun ownership.

Our first pediatrician had the question but no one pursued any "counseling." Our second pediatrician group hasn't asked anything about guns yet.

18. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

Millions of Americans own pools, Jacuzzis and bathtubs, which kill thousands of children more per year than guns. Does the AAP ask questions and "counsel" parents who own pools, Jacuzzis and bathtubs?

19. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Yes, among others the AAP has been the main pusher on that front among the medical associations IMHO. They really ought to be classified as a lobbyist organization IMHO. This from their website:

​The AAP has been involved for decades in advocacy efforts to address the detrimental effects of gun violence in children’s lives as a public health issue. The AAP continues to engage in a sustained advocacy effort focused on engaging Congress, the White House, partner organizations, pediatricians, and the public in an effort to enact and improve federal policies aimed at reducing and preventing gun violence.
    AAP’s top priorities in federal gun violence prevention advocacy are:

• Stronger gun laws. Enactment of common-sense firearm legislation, including stronger background checks, banning assault weapons, addressing firearm trafficking, and encouraging safe firearm storage.
    • Violence prevention programs. Support for programs addressing the needs of at-risk children and children exposed to violence, including those at CDC and DOJ.
    • Research. Funding for gun violence prevention research and public health surveillance, including $10 million to support gun violence prevention research at CDC, and expanding the National Violent Death Reporting System to all 50 states.
    • Physician counseling. Protecting the crucial role of physicians in providing anticipatory guidance to patients about the health hazards of firearms.
    • Mental Health Access. Ensuring children and their families have access to appropriate mental health services, particularly to address the effects of exposure to violence.
    https://www.aap.org/en-us/advocacy-...ncepreventionrecommendationstowhitehouse.aspx

20. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

O'Sullivan's First Law: All organizations that are not actually right-wing will over time become left-wing.