Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's been a few years but I carried concealed there before. There will be a heavy police presence I'm sure. My mantra now is to try not to do stupid stuff with stupid people and the way this past year has gone the propensity for sudden violence is always possible with large crowds. Remember, "you are on your own!"

·
American
3,289 Posts
Sorry, public place, crowds, holiday.....doesn't matter to me what the City of Atlanta thinks about the law, I won't be there either way.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,937 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,937 Posts
I'm sure someone from AJC is watching this thread.

Perhaps they could do a followup article to inform the public that state law indeed allows the legal carrying of firearms there in the public park.

My thought is that the Mayor probably gave a wink and nod to an employee who "suggested" to the AJC that firearms would be banned, wink wink.

You know, just to get out incorrect information so that people would comply with their wishes to have us disarmed.

That's usually the way things work when handled by public officials.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,937 Posts
I just now had a pleasant chat with Sgt. Strozier of APD who returned my call.

Live Nation is putting on the "private event", and APD "has been told" that there are to be no firearms. Hired private security will be wanding. APD will not be involved in the screening.

Sgt. Strozier didn't know who gave the orders but if anyone is ordering the police, then it has to come down from the Mayor's office.

Let's see if Mayor Reed has the cajones to own up to it.

The City of Atlanta has already been successfully sued by Georgia Carry for trying to ban firearms in public parks.

I gave Sgt. Strozier the scenario in which a legal carrier could bypass the wanding, and then later switch to open carry after getting in. I explained that if a lawful carrier were to be arrested it would result in a lawsuit. He was very cordial, but could not give any hard details as to what APD would do in a situation like that.

Reactions: AtlPhilip

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,937 Posts
If anyone has direct access to Mayor Reed, please try to find out exactly what he told the police.

Perhaps if the AJC were interested in actual journalism, they could ask him.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,937 Posts
Just now spoke with Atlanta's Special Events Office again.

When I asked who is handling the event, I was told that it was a city sponsored event, but that "Live Nation" was handling the "production", whatever that means.

It is a free event with no ticket needed. I suspect the city got a private company involved as a thin excuse to try and get around state preemption.

I truly hope the Georgia General Assembly will do something to put a stop to this skipping around state law... if the Atlanta Botanical Garden case is lost.

With all the judge recusals I don't place much hope with the GA Court of Appeals.

·
Registered
75 Posts

When I asked who is handling the event, I was told that it was a city sponsored event, but that "Live Nation" was handling the "production", whatever that means.

It is a free event with no ticket needed. I suspect the city got a private company involved as a thin excuse to try and get around state preemption.

I truly hope the Georgia General Assembly will do something to put a stop to this skipping around state law... if the Atlanta Botanical Garden case is lost.

With all the judge recusals I don't place much hope with the GA Court of Appeals.
Definitely! Resolving the public/private issue needs to be a priority in the upcoming GGA session.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts

Just because the city hired a private contractor to run it does not make it private. (Like the botanical garden). It is an event by the city they can not ban anything. All they are doing is hireing the dj and equipment

Reactions: Phil1979

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,937 Posts
I just now posted this on the APD Facebook page:

Per APD, they got informed that no firearms will be allowed at Woodruff Park for the Peach Drop. Perhaps from the Mayor's Office??? However, according to state law, municipalities are forbidden to regulate the carrying of weapons on public property.

Off limits locations for weapons are regulated by state law alone. And state law authorizes the lawful carrying of weapons in ALL areas of the state, with certain exceptions, and public city parks ain't in the exception list. Period.

Just because the city hires Live Nation Entertainment to deejay and produce the event doesn't create a loophole in state preemption.
Sgt. Strozier told me that private security, not the APD, will be wanding for weapons.

Hopefully APD will follow state law and not partake in ejecting anyone from lawfully carrying a pistol or knife at the event. If anyone is barred from entry or ejected merely for lawfully carrying a weapon, I predict a lawsuit.

The City of Atlanta has ALREADY been successfully sued by Georgia Carry for trying to ban weapons in city owned parks.

If you are licensed to carry, here's how to get past the wanding:
Carry your pistol in a belly band type holster well below the waist. and wear a large metal belt buckle. The metal belt buckle will be your alibi for setting off the detector. They won't make you take off your pants. For ladies, they can carry their pistol in a hidden compartment in their purse, if they have one of that design.

Also, you can ankle carry. They will probably only be wanding at the waist, being too lazy to wand at the ankles.

You don't and shouldn't have to be disarmed in a lawful carry location, especially in downtown Atlanta.

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
I think the next modification to pre-emption should be stiff criminal penalties for violations.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,937 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Atlanta Police Deputy Chief Scott Kreher was just interviewed about the event on Fox5. They did not show firearms as a prohibited item (tbh they only glossed over the list quickly). They DID mention that celebratory firearm was prohibited and suggested going back to fireworks....

AJC article from Wednesday DOES include the firearms prohibition
http://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...n/2kzTML6beejWaANAcJyAAL/?ecmp=socialflow_ajc

·
Registered
847 Posts
I just now posted this on the APD Facebook page:

Per APD, they got informed that no firearms will be allowed at Woodruff Park for the Peach Drop. Perhaps from the Mayor's Office??? However, according to state law, municipalities are forbidden to regulate the carrying of weapons on public property.

Off limits locations for weapons are regulated by state law alone. And state law authorizes the lawful carrying of weapons in ALL areas of the state, with certain exceptions, and public city parks ain't in the exception list. Period.

Just because the city hires Live Nation Entertainment to deejay and produce the event doesn't create a loophole in state preemption.
Sgt. Strozier told me that private security, not the APD, will be wanding for weapons.

Hopefully APD will follow state law and not partake in ejecting anyone from lawfully carrying a pistol or knife at the event. If anyone is barred from entry or ejected merely for lawfully carrying a weapon, I predict a lawsuit.

The City of Atlanta has ALREADY been successfully sued by Georgia Carry for trying to ban weapons in city owned parks.

If you are licensed to carry, here's how to get past the wanding:
Carry your pistol in a belly band type holster well below the waist. and wear a large metal belt buckle. The metal belt buckle will be your alibi for setting off the detector. They won't make you take off your pants. For ladies, they can carry their pistol in a hidden compartment in their purse, if they have one of that design.

Also, you can ankle carry. They will probably only be wanding at the waist, being too lazy to wand at the ankles.

You don't and shouldn't have to be disarmed in a lawful carry location, especially in downtown Atlanta.
Excellent FB post. Use that libtard organization (FB) to point out illegal activities from another libtard organization (Atlanta government), that you learned about from another libtard organization (Cox Media - aka AJC). Libtards use guerilla warfare against us. Beat them at their own game.

·
Registered
14,962 Posts
I think the next modification to pre-emption should be stiff criminal penalties for violations.
State/local laws without criminal penalties just open the door for all types of violations when the law doesn't comport with some bureaucrat's feelings.

Privatization. The future of statutory law making! :cheers:

Reactions: Phil1979
1 - 20 of 154 Posts