PDO Ratings

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Molon Labe, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Molon Labe

Molon Labe New Member

Is it just me or is the rating system at Packing stupid. I'm trying to see the value in it. Maybe I'm missing the point of the system. If someone could enlighten me I would appreciate it.

You guessed it. Someone rated me a 1 on a post because I said sometimes avoiding a situation, such as withdrawing money from an ATM when there is a group of people hanging around the machine, makes a lot more sense then withdrawing the money on moral principle and then having to diffuse the situation when you are surrounded.

Just wanted to vent :x

2. john

john New Member

ATM

I agree, the term I believe is comon sence.

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

It is stupid and some of the Admins have left because of it. I have pretty much quit reading PDO chat except the Georgia posts. Even that is getting rare.

The only time I vote is when someone has been marked low for no reason. At which point I mark them high to balance.

Before the change the Admins had the ability to edit or delete posts, they can't anymore. The only thing I can do in chat is copy it to the news section. An Admin's vote means as much as any other vote.

4. Broadside Bob

Broadside Bob New Member

One thing about the "zero bandits"...

Have you ever read the explanation of the PDO rating system? Aside from being pretty much incomprehensible, I did pick up one interesting aspect: the weight given to an individual vote is determined by the rater's score. That is, a vote from someone whose own score is 3.5 counts more than someone else with a 1.5.

The assumption is the folks with petty enough opinions to vote someone down for no good reason probably has a low score themselves. When nice guys like Gunstar (who have astronomical scores) come along, their votes can do MORE than balance the zeros. You might even get an artificial boost because you got a zero!

In any case, there's probably more amusement value in the rating system than anything.

BB

5. Sharky

Sharky New Member

PDO

After silently reading that site I have noticed it getting more and more like Firing Line forums. All kinds of crap are getting posted and the rating system is just a joke. Some of the info is still good to read, but not much from GA being posted. Seems this is the best place. I am fairly new to all this and still learning.

It's sad that more people can't understand the larger picture on that site and the efforts and goals trying to be obtained.

I am looking forward to learning more on this forum as it applies to GA anyways. I'm pretty young so excuse the questions I may ask about bills and laws. I only want to help in any way I can.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Stupid.

THis site is way better for Georgia stuff.

7. thebugman

thebugman New Member

The sure volume of posts on packing.org is what I like. It is a great place to learn about Concealed carry related issues.

Unfortunately, it is down 20% of the time or I just can't access it. The posts increasingly are more and more about how someone was rated than about topic related subject matter, and lastly the actual format is weird. This format is much better.

8. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

If it Bothers You

If the Ratings System there bothers you a lot, you can help out others and hope that other people will help you by giving high ratings (5 points for "very helpful" or "must read") to those people who got zeros without an obviously good reason.

And if that doesn't work, you can just create a second screen name / P.D.O. account and use that alter-ego to boost up your own scores artificially!

Sure, it's blatant abuse of the PDO ratings system, but there's so much "BAD ABUSE" going on already, that some "GOOD ABUSE" is not only justified, but necessary to keep the top quality people from giving up on the site entirely, out of disgust.

P.S. One rating of 0 cannot effectively be counterbalanced by one rating of "5", because that only averages out to be 2.5, the cut-off point for hiding a post behind a warning label. It will take MULTIPLE people giving the wronged poster a ratings boost!

9. Malum Prohibitum

I tried to rehabilitate somebody over there, and I expended a lot of time over three weeks and only managed to move him up like two thousandths of a point.

:cry:

10. thebugman

thebugman New Member

Anyone else have problems getting back on PDO since that thread calling Mark Soloman out got about 15 posts deep? I wonder if Mark pulled the sight down in retaliation?

11. Malum Prohibitum

Still down . . .

Guess I have to work, then.

12. thebugman

thebugman New Member

I think I am seeing a trend. People start complaining on packing.org about the ratings system, and the sight comes down for a day or so. THis last thread was the most vociferus. Expect two days this time. No website that I have ever dealt with goes down as much as packing.org If he is making per click revenue from the sight he is really sabatoging himself.

As for the ratings system, I agree that it is BS. I don't want anyone to think differently since I am making an observation about complaints and the sight going down.

13. Molon Labe

Molon Labe New Member

Ok, you got me curious. What was said that would close it down?

14. thebugman

thebugman New Member

Not sure what the entire thread said. The original poster was complaining about the ratings system, and essentially called Mark Soloman out to answer and respond to this problem. He didn't want any other posts in the thread, because they couldn't solve the problem. After the thread would fall off the page, he would bring it back to the top and said he would continue to do so until Mark responded.

15. Malum Prohibitum