Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I watch the watchers
12,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting last Friday, after a lengthy session of converting .mkv files to .mp4, my pc began having start-up problems.
Normally it does a little count down in the bottom corner 51, then 50, (beep) and displays "Press F2 for BIOS or F10 for Boot Options". It would stop at either 51 or reboot randomly after 1-5 minutes if it managed to get past that.

I disconnected all drives except my C:\Boot, formatted it and ran Ubunto on a FlashDrive. It stayed stable for 8+ hours after the USB Boot. :crossfinger:

Today, it won't even show that power is going to the monitor (connection light remains amber instead of green), no beeps, and the fans stop after a minute or so.

The only thing I can see in common is the motherboard and the power supply and the fact that it ran for 8+hours after the USB boot makes me suspect my power supply is going bad.

What thinks the hive?

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Yep, concur with PS going bad. I'm an old hardware guy fwiw.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Put a meter on a spare drive connector. That will test the 5 and 12 volt feeds. CPU-Z may tell you about the 3.5 V feed to the CPU (depends on the machine age and BIOS).

·
I watch the watchers
12,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, spit :(
Went to Fry's Electronics and picked up a 380watt power supply for under $30 and spent a few minutes installing it and making all the cabling look as pretty as I good.
Crossed my fingers and hit the power switch .... and.... not a whit's worth of difference from the non-booting situation before. I'm left with a MoBo problem unless anyone can come up with another idea. :twisted:

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Years ago I once had a computer acting strange. Replaced the motherboard, processor, power supply - nothing helped. Turned out the power cord from the wall socket to the computer was flaky.

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
Unseat and reseat everything.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Try a different hard drive. Don't go buy one, just grab an old drive from a dead system or borrow one. Try a different cable and maybe drive port on the mobo as well.

If that works, IM me and I can transfer the drive contents from your old to a new drive.

·
I watch the watchers
12,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try a different hard drive
Tried new power cord and even removed HDD's C:\ through G:\ and then stuck in a reformatted HDD loaded with Ubunto.
After many tries it started from the USB flash drive and remained stable for over 8 hrs. When I tried to restart it wouldn't even show a signal connection to the monitor.

It's at Vision PC on Jimmy Carter right now.

·
Professional Troll
2,163 Posts
How does the caps look on the Mobo? See any that are swollen and have domed shaped tops instead of it looking flat and cylindrical?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts