1901 - 1920 of 2035 Posts

·
Old, Slow, Boring Dude
2,539 Posts

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
And, what does ivermectin cost?
"The company reported earlier this month that the pill cut hospitalizations and deaths by half among patients with early symptoms of COVID-19. The results were so strong that independent medical experts monitoring the trial recommended stopping it early."

Ivermectin has only weak evidence so far for effectiveness. Your cost question is really an apples to oranges comparison. Ivermectin might be cheaper, but the evidence for its effectiveness is low.

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
Deaths in Georgia are way below the peak last time. It looks like 26 for the day on August 9, 2021, which is the last day for which there were solid (not preliminary) numbers.

The curve is still on an upward trajectory, though, and has not yet peaked.

I am hopeful that with so many older persons vaccinated, the death rate will be much lower this time around.

It is not clear at all that middle aged folks are dying of the delta variant at any higher rate than the prior version. In fact, it appears that the delta variant is no more dangerous to a 55 year old male than the prior version of the virus. It is, however, easier transmit. The numbers of deaths and hospitalizations have moved to lower age categories due to the older (80+) deaths being only about a quarter of what they were before (vaccination). Vaccination rates go up by age category. With the virus being easier to transmit, it is easy to understand why the hospital ICUs are getting crowded. The age of those affected moving lower has nothing to do with the virus being more deadly, but simply with younger ages being associated with a lower likelihood of being vaccinated.

So while we see more younger folks dying, this does not mean that the virus variant this time is any deadlier than last time. It is just a function of who is left (unvaccinated) and very high transmission rates compared to last time around.

I am still very hopeful that the daily death numbers in Georgia will stay below those we saw earlier in the year due to the high number of elderly persons who are vaccinated compared to the general population.

This is not to make light of any person's death - I am just trying to put overall numbers in perspective this time around.
My foolish hopes from two months ago.

Watching the man who raised me from the time I was 5 die because he believed all the conspiracy theory nonsense masquerading as "fact" was a bitter pill to swallow. Now my mother faces life alone in that big house.

My childhood friend from the first grade, I flew out west for his funeral a couple weeks ago. My age and also not vaccinated.

·
Registered
8,032 Posts
Sorry to hear the double of very bad personal covid happenings.

Wish they would quickly approve that new pill, what ever happened to the new Fed rules that enable 'right to try'?
I suppose it has to be available before you can hope to try it.

The conspiracy folks are already comparing it to ivermectin (some old studies show ivermectin has some success fighting cancer, the critics say the new pill could cause it).

I hope that Biden can find a plus side to releasing this pill quickly. But it could hurt the vax policy and pitch he and Fauci make.

·
Premium Member
9,838 Posts
"The company reported earlier this month that the pill cut hospitalizations and deaths by half among patients with early symptoms of COVID-19. The results were so strong that independent medical experts monitoring the trial recommended stopping it early."

Ivermectin has only weak evidence so far for effectiveness. Your cost question is really an apples to oranges comparison. Ivermectin might be cheaper, but the evidence for its effectiveness is low.

We had 2 deaths as a direct result of refusing to administer Ivermectin.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,910 ·
Reactions: TimBob

·
PawPaw x 3
8,817 Posts

Watching the man who raised me from the time I was 5 die because he believed all the conspiracy theory nonsense masquerading as "fact" was a bitter pill to swallow. Now my mother faces life alone in that big house.

My childhood friend from the first grade, I flew out west for his funeral a couple weeks ago. My age and also not vaccinated.
I am sorry for yours and your family's loss. I see that you are giving no acknowledgement to the role of God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit in all of this.

·
Premium Member
9,838 Posts
He was "fully vaccinated"

·
Old, Slow, Boring Dude
2,539 Posts

mp,

I, too have lost friends and family from this.
All had co-morbidities, one was fully vaccinated.

My aunt lived a block away when I was young, and she definitely helped raise me. Since my mother died 34 years ago, I have considered my aunt my second mom.

I am truly sorry for your losses.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
He was "fully vaccinated"

Yep, even the fully vaccinated can die from Covid, especially octogenarians with underlying conditions like cancer. We have fully vaccinated in ICU here in Dalton. They're typically older, morbidly obese, or have some underlying condition that puts the at high risk for complications, like General Powell.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,919 · (Edited)
1901 - 1920 of 2035 Posts