Paying Attention To Viruses?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Nemo, Jan 27, 2020.

1. dhaller

dhaller Active Member

Have you ever - post-school-age - been forced to have any vaccine, ever?

Obviously you're not a healthcare provider or a work at a care facility (in which case there may indeed be state vaccination requirements), but if somehow you are, you could just quit that job and, voilá, no vaccine requirement.

Assuming there is eventually a vaccine (it's very possible there won't be a viable candidate), it will be a LONG time before it's available for anyone not a healthcare worker, a kid, old, or sick. No one is going to say "oh my gosh! we need to protect Phil1979! let's vaccinate him posthaste!" If anything, when you protest against it, they'll say "cool" and use your dose on the next person.

And there isn't going to be a rushed vaccine as long as the FDA holds out against Trump (the one person who really wants one); they've stated pretty clearly that they are in no way adhering to the "warp speed" or whatever stupid name Trump's vaccine plan is called.

That said, I won't get a rushed vaccine either; that's alchemy, not science... but as long as Trump is ignored by the vaccine makers, I don't think that will happen. IF a vaccine is developed which passes all the tests (another big IF, since most vaccines fail), and IF enough vials can be produced (another bottleneck no one seems to talk about), then there will be a voluntarily available vaccine maybe - maybe - a year after that, and then about a year after that is when things start feeling normal again (like people going to see movies unmasked).

So, best case, a vaccine is available Q2 or Q3 of 2021 (most of my epidemiologist colleagues who are in the know are looking at that as an earliest-possible time frame), then figure "regular" people can get it around mid-2022, and people are going to parties or the symphony or whatever maybe mid-late 2023.

With an r0 of 2 (offhand I think that's COVID's r0 value), you need about half the population to be vaccinated in order to have herd immunity, so there's plenty of room for conscientious objectors, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc. to go without.

I swear, the degree of panic and terror I see in this forum! Bad Men aren't going to chase you down with a needle, I promise.

DH

2. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

It's just like a TV. You can change the channel.

3. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Really.

4. FrontSight

FrontSight Well-Known Member

Yes When I volunteered for service in 1974, again in 1977 when the first swine flu epidemic hit. Live virus vaccine made half our brigade sick.

Immediately after vaccinations in 1974 I saw a recruit turn purple and go into seizures from an allergic reaction. Medics hauled him off. Never saw him again.

5. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

What about a coronavirus vaccine that has undergone the complete FDA protocol? Do you take the ubiquitous annual flu shots that have minimal effect on you catching the ubiquitous annual flu?

6. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Nope. Don't trust any of the flu shots. No more unknown DNA or chemicals/byproducts going into my body.

7. moe mensale

You're assuming a viable vaccine will be available on a voluntary basis. As it should be. But this coronavirus pandemic has been proven to be nothing more than a scam based on the way its been handled. The world has never before basically shut down nearly all economic and social infrastructures. Why? There's nothing overwhelmingly different between the coronavirus and any other prior global pandemics. We've been bombarded with continuous lies about its lethality, death numbers have been fudged, non-science based social mandates, etc. Can you say with 100% certainty that a vaccine wouldn't be forced on us?

8. moe mensale

Vaccinations aren't required to achieve herd immunity. It can be achieved passively.

9. moe mensale

2023? Why is a vaccine being touted as our only hope of achieving normalcy again? Is this miracle vaccine (excluding any little "extras" in it) actually going to cure the coronavirus? Or just prevent it? Or have no effect whatsoever?

Polio (another virus) has been around for thousands of years. There's no known cure for it. The Sabin vaccine helps prevent it but it doesn't cure it. And yet the world continues on in its normal economic and social activities. Advanced sanitation systems and personal hygiene have gone a long way to preventing it also.

Florida Governor DeSantis fully opened the state last week. I don't believe he thinks waiting until 2023 (or even 2021) is a brilliant idea.

https://floridapolitics.com/archive...-immediately-all-businesses-opened-in-florida

10. moe mensale

I won't hold you to your promise because I don't believe it. We've witnessed too much official bullshit these past six-seven months to not take any official pronouncements with a gigantic grain of salt.

11. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

We'll see what Kemp does, I think his last orders expire on Wednesday. Fulton, Dekalb, and Cobb are all below the 5% positivity rate over the past two weeks, Gwinnett should hit it this week. Additionally, all of those are approaching the 100 cases per 100k for the past two weeks, and deaths have been averaging below 1. Given that I see so many people not keeping distant and not wearing masks (including me to both), I think it's safe to conclude that it's OVER for Atlanta. Too bad KLB is a control freak who will do everything to keep her power over people, though I will say I haven't heard much from her lately.

12. moe mensale

The Walmart I use most frequently no longer has the "cattle chute" going to the single open entrance, all the entrances are open, no "mask warden" greeter with a supply of free face diapers in case you'd like one and a crap ton of customers running around sans face diapers. It almost feels normal.

atlsrt44 and Phil1979 like this.
  13. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

14. moe mensale

It's almost like Fauci believes he is the Governor of the United States of America.
    https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...-is-re-opening-bars-and-restaurants/24632956/
    DeSantis tells him to go fu...... pound sand.
    https://floridapolitics.com/archive...ening-yet-expects-long-struggle-with-covid-19

15. moe mensale

This morning I went to Walmart for a few items. The venue isn't important. What happened could have happened anywhere. I returned to my vehicle with my "loot" and go bring the empty cart to its little corral. There on the ground lays one of those ubiquitous blue and white face diapers discarded because the owner apparently decided it was time for a new one. The white side, the side you breathe on, was facing up. It's covered with quite a few tan stains. I obviously don't know the history of this face diaper and I know it's not the norm but how anyone thinks the owner was better off wearing it than not wearing it is beyond me. I feel so much better knowing there are other people out there with masks in the same condition. We are so gullible. And stupid.

16. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

17. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness gracious, they have a mild cold. However will they or the country recover :roll:

18. Mstr-Chris

Mstr-Chris Well-Known Member

According to a study, 90% that test positive carry barely any virus, reported by NY Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/health/coronavirus-testing.html

19. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

White House sexy personal assistant to Donald Trump,
    a knockout model type named Hope Hicks,
    recently tested for positive for coronavirus.
    Gee, I wonder how Trump got his case of it??

20. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer