Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some fun facts for this ugly story:

1/ Last year, in June 2021, FDA approved the IV drug Aduhelm. It's a treatment, not a cure. Treatment is by IV and costs $56,000 per year for the drug. Scratch that, a few months later Biogen said "we have cut the price in half". It was not selling at that price.

2/ Folks on medicare saw their Part B monthly premium increase for 2022 in anticipation of the huge cost to the system based on Aduhelm's pending approval. Part B because the drug is administered by a doctor in-office. "In November 2021, CMS announced that the Part B standard monthly premium increased from $148.50 in 2021 to $170.10 in 2022. " 14.5%

3/ Several gov agencies have been squabbling over the clinical trials for this drug which are very weakly supportive, if at all, of its efficacy. The data on Biogen's early scientific testing is locked up for another 9 years. SOP apparently based on the Covid vax clinical trial news recently.

4/ Medicare has recently decided to pay for Aduhelm only if it is used in a new clinical test (based on news of bogus science identifying the cause of Alzheimers)

5/ HHS has asked Medicare (Social Security) about reducing this premium increase. Medicare says no.

It is interesting to see how well established several year's old science is now crumbling.

It is crumbling not from new clinical tests of new treatments, it is crumbling because a look at the data from the original paper identifying the cause (plaques in the brain) shows FRAUD in the data.

I'm starting to be concerned about peer reviewed papers being touted as the science.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I'm starting to be concerned about peer reviewed papers being touted as the science.
You'll catch hell for that valid concern. Your betters don't like free thinking or questioning the so called science.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
17,841 Posts
Source?

Nemo

·
Registered
5,602 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
17,841 Posts
ALWAYS cite your source. Yes I am a pencil neck on that.

Nemo

·
Registered
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been following this for over a year. Thousands of sources will pop right up if you ask Bing or Goog.
Turns out it is a Japan developed drug. Forget it, there is a new one, same company of course !

Here's the latest on the Biogen company's success so far:

·
Registered
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder why the FDA has an expert advisory group ? They don't take their recommendatios.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Here's some fun facts for this ugly story:

2/ Folks on medicare saw their Part B monthly premium increase for 2022 in anticipation of the huge cost to the system based on Aduhelm's pending approval. Part B because the drug is administered by a doctor in-office. "In November 2021, CMS announced that the Part B standard monthly premium increased from $148.50 in 2021 to $170.10 in 2022. " 14.5%

5/ HHS has asked Medicare (Social Security) about reducing this premium increase. Medicare says no.
The reduction in Part B premiums is still being looked at. Whether it will be an increase in SSA benefit $ or a decrease in the Part B premium. I saw something on my news feed about a decrease in Part D premiums next year.

·
Registered
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Medicare Advantage is very popular with the agents that sell it (twice the commission paid vs. medicare supplement) and those enrolled in it love it until they get sick. The premiums are low or zero, hard to beat. But try to get an expensive treatment approved, most all require long appeals process while you suffer. "Advantage" sounds good but it is not.

Reactions: OWM

·
Man of Myth and Legend
17,841 Posts
I am very familiar with Humana and UHC Part C programs. Using both HMO and PPO programs. I find both work very well, with excellent coverage.

If you are in any program now or just becoming eligible, I would recommend you look at those in your area. Open Season is coming.

And I have gotten much much more out of it than I will put into it should I never have another claim and live to be 90.

Nemo

Reactions: TimBob
1 - 10 of 10 Posts