Pay Attention

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Signal 69, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Signal 69

Signal 69 Member

Please pay attention as you go about your daily business and be especially watchful at night. Stay off of your cell phone if at all possible when walking through parking lots, decks leaving your home or going to it especially if it is cheap conversation that can WAIT.

I had a student years ago that could have been killed or raped if not for what she learned in class from me.

At the time she lived in an apartment complex and when you see people sitting on the steps or walking about the red flag does not go up like if they were on your porch or in your yard.

She was on the phone and got off of it so she could be aware of what was going on. Long story short she shot a guy who approached her wearing a bandana around his face and carrying a gun. 7 good hits to the chest killed his ass right on the spot. She is one of 4 women out of 17 students that have had to use their weapon to protect themselves and she had her weapon it was not at home in the closet.

We had serveral students and their friends and neighbors who had been victims, some not of a rash of armed robberies in East Atlanta, 13 robberies in one month. I really wish I had recorded the things they said they were doing when these robberies happened. I can tell you they were not paying attention big time and when they got that feeling ignored it.

If you don't pay attention the bad guys will. Even if you are walking with a group of people still look around. I had a co worker killed crossing the street she was on her cell phone and just because the sign said cross did not mean the driver saw the red light.

Be Safe

2. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

Sounds like Cliff notes to "The Gift of Fear". :righton:

3. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

Good advice. I'm sending to my wife.

Thanks for posting.

4. Hock25

Hock25 New Member

I had a student years ago that could have been killed or raped if not forwhat she learned in class from me.

Fixed it, and sent to chillens.

5. Signal 69

Signal 69 Member

Thx

6. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

I see no problem with being on your cell phone if you stay alert to your surroundings. In fact, it may be a plus that someone already on the line can come to your aid or summon help if something happens. The thing is to stay alert to your surroundings regardless of what you're doing.

7. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

You plan to hold ur cell and fire ur handgun at the same time? Sucks when you shoot right handed and hold your cell right handed. The OP has a very very valid point. Learn from it and not argue about it. We spend our lives chatting on the cell and for the most part unaware of our surroundings do to talking to someone on the cell. This young girl obviously would have became a victim by the time the person on the other line called the cops and they arrived.

As the saying goes: Seconds count. When cops are minutes away.

8. TAP

TAP New Member

IMO, mindset and situational awareness are extremely important. In some cases, I would say even more important than fighting skills.

I have been looking to take a SouthNarc class not only for his ECQC techniques but also to hear his Criminal Assault Paradigm and Managing Unknown Contacts lectures.

9. GooberTim

GooberTim New Member

My sentiments exactly TAP. I think the most valuable tool I've retained from my training is situational awareness. Learning and being able to implement fighting skills are important, but not near as important as avoiding the whole ordeal to begin with.

My wife may not be as prepared as TAP is to fight someone, but she can be every bit as good at situational awareness.

10. Signal 69

Signal 69 Member

Phantoms, what you said is understandable I do believe for most of us that talk to someone on the cell we do not know their location most of the time. How many times maybe yourself got a speeding ticket, or saw someone make a sudden lane change at the last minute etc etc because they were on that cell phone? Could'nt even let it go and I will add a cup of coffee to pull out of an accident?

11. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Nothing says you can't drop a cell to grab a gun. No different than dropping a grocery bag, etc. The thing is in some situations a cell phone is very comforting. As I stated, you need to be able to be aware of your surroundings and what's going on. For some, being on a cell phone diminishes this, for others not. For someone that's scared to walk from their car to their apartment, being on a cell phone with a friend/relative may add some comfort even if it's just for someone to be on the line while you make that walk. You can be aware of your situation and don't even have to carry on a conversation, just to be connected to someone until you're safely inside.

I do understand where you and the OP are coming from. Do not be into a conversation on the phone to a point that affects your awareness of what's going on around you. I agree with that 100%. But telling someone that they can't call someone just to be on the line with them when they have to go someplace scary, only adds to their fear level when they do.

And BTW, a cellphone is one of the few items that people can (and do) use with their non-dominant hand just as easily as they do with their dominant hand. :wink:

12. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

My 14 year old neice was attacked in broad daylight just a few houses down from her home. The attack (which was sexual assault) lasted for over 45 minutes. The boys were not over 18 and one had a prior. Two boys were involved in the attack. A third boy intervened and she was able to get away and run home. Two 3rd graders witnessed the whole ordeal.

Her nose was bloodied and she was kicked in the stomach repeatedly.

One of the two boys was released into the custody of his parents, the other the same, but was arrested the next day for breaking some rule having to do with his prior.

This event happened Halloween day.

Any advice what my sister needs to do is much appreciated. I want my neice in a self defense course.

13. Signal 69

Signal 69 Member

I am so sorry to hear that happened to your neice but this is the world we live in and it is just going to get worst. People who have no clue or who do not want to be de sensitized so to speak. However, that is not what it is. We are taught not to go with strangers etc. but self defense is necessary. A person may not go as far as I have gone but learn how to save your life and the lives of loved ones. Learn to swim or float, ride a bike or motorcycle and drive a stick, learn 1st aid as a former police officer I have witness on more than one occasion someone die from bleeding out, heart attack etc. family running around with their heads cut off because no one knew what to do. I have said in other post that I teach the way I do because I have seen so much I am a victim of my on experinces.

If you put your neice in a class it MUST transfer to the street what she learns period. Traditional arts, tournament type training crap that looks fancy or ballroom dancing stay away from that.

Learn how to box that is one of America's martial arts incorporate it with how to kick defeat chokes and body type grabs
    and ground fighting, weapons of opportunity like a pen or pencil could have been used to stab with during your neices attack.
    Which county are you in?

14. Signal 69

Signal 69 Member

Dropping your cell phone, coffee cup etc. is something I teach in class its called drop drills.

15. Schweisshund

I live in Cherokee County, but my sister lives in Cobb (I think). She lives off of Shallowford Road near Bells Ferry

16. budone1967

budone1967 Die Hard GCO Recruiter

I don't live far from there. I'm sorry about your neice. I hope they throw the book at the two young thugs.

17. Schweisshund

My sister told me there was some consideration (from whom, I do not know yet) that one of the "boys" will be tried as an adult.

From what I gather, between the two boys, there have been over 20 charges.

18. mathar1

mathar1 New Member

Damn near ANYTHING can be used as a distraction or weapon to buy yourself the room/time to draw your pistol. I think IMPROVISED armed combat should be taught as often if not more often that gun training. If you are too close (caught off guard) then attempting to draw your weapon could be worse than not drawing.

If you do get caught off guard then improvised weapon or unarmed combat may be the preferred choice. Let your retention holster do it's job and you TCB in a personal ground and pound sort of way. Sometimes it's nice to get up close and personal and teach them that they just made a bad career move. :wink:

19. mpc

mpc New Member

Why drop a perfectly good projectile weapon? Launching a cell phone at someone's head can give a moment or two more to run or draw your weapon if he ducks, or possibly more if you make contact.

Use every available resource. Waste nothing.