Paulding County....What is this???

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by dwalker, Oct 31, 2007.

1. dwalker

dwalker New Member

I copied this from the paulding website. Does this mean I have to pay in full and wait 3 months just for a renewal??? See bold print at bottom.

Firearms License

How To Apply for A Firearms License

Must apply in person
    Must be 21 years of age or older
    A resident of Paulding County
    Produce a Drivers License/Georgia ID (must have correct address or produce an official document that shows the correct address)
    $20.00 cash or money order only
    $24.00 fingerprints, cash or money order only, payable to the Paulding County Sheriff Department
    Once the application has been completed in our office, you would then be required to go to the Paulding County Detention Center on the same day to have a full set of fingerprints completed
    Will take approximately 90-120 days to receive your permit by mail
    Please note: Children are not allowed in the area where fingerprinting is being performed.
    PLEASE NOTE: EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2006, YOU CAN NO LONGER RENEW A FIREARMS LICENSE. IT WILL BE HANDLED AS IF YOU WERE APPLYING FOR THE FIRST TIME UNDER THE ABOVE PROVISIONS.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Yes. It also means your fingerprints are taken again (just in case they changed! :D )

3. dwalker

dwalker New Member

Wow! That is dumb. I wonder how many other counties do a renewal this way. I guess I will be allowed to renew about 3-4 months before expiration....at least I hope so!

4. dwalker

dwalker New Member

Ok, so state law doesn't allow renewal any longer. Called the Paulding County Probate Court and the lady said that the process in Paulding is much faster now so you would need to apply about 2 months before your GFL expires....yeah right, I'll apply about 4 months ahead of time!

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Don't forget to ask for your temporary license, when you reapply.

6. dwalker

dwalker New Member

I still think it is stupid we have to 'reapply'. I think its just the governments way of making it harder and hoping it will deter some people from renewing or even getting a license in the first place. I guess this is just one more reason I should go ahead and join GCO!

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Actually, I think it was a simple misunderstanding of what was needed to regain the BATFE's approval for a NICS exemption for Georgia's firearms license at point of retail purchase. Although the General Assembly was wrong in the changes it made, I do not think there was any bad intent. In fact, I think that the intentions were good.

GCO was not really around back then . . .