Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read the article.

Nemo

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-search-of-high-school-pat-down-900-students/

Report: Georgia deputies conduct warrantless search of high school, pat down 900 students
By Radley Balko April 27 at 12:52 PM

Georgia TV station WALB is reporting that this month, deputies in Worth County conducted a drug dog sweep followed by personal searches of students at Worth County High School. According to WALB, all 900 students were patted down. Some students characterized the pat-downs as “aggressive.â€

. . .

Incredibly, this is the second time in a month that this has happened. The Sylvester Police Department conducted a similar search last month after a few students picked up for a string of robberies suggested there was drug activity at the school. That search turned up nothing. As WALB puts it, Hobby didn’t think that search was thorough enough, so he conducted one of his own

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
How is this legal?

·
My Name is Inigo Montoya
4,025 Posts
i hope Worth County's insurance is up to date...

·
Registered
461 Posts
How is this legal?
It wasn't. It sounds like the Sheriff was trying to justify it under the U.S. Supreme Court ruling of New Jersey v. TLO. Unfortunately for the Sheriff, that court ruling allows school personnel to conduct a search of a student when they have a reasonable suspicion to do so. First, generalized suspicion of criminal activity would not permit the search of 900 students. Second, the ruling applies to searches by "school personnel" and not by law enforcement personnel. They've opened themselves to a huge lawsuit here IMO.

Of course, this is my personal opinion and not professional legal advice. :)

·
69,784 Posts

·
69,784 Posts
http://wfxl.com/news/local/lawsuit-being-prepped-over-worth-county-high-school-search

Parents of Worth County High School students are filing a lawsuit against the Worth County Sherrif's Office after an improper search occurred earlier in April.
Parents want to see justice served after it was confirmed by local law enforcement and attorneys that students rights were violated.

"Our goal is not a dollar figure," Jonathan Luke, parent of two, said. "Our goal is to prevent this from happening to any other kid in America. Our goal is to teach these kids, even if you are the sheriff, if you do wrong, you have to have consequences for your actions."

·
69,784 Posts
I am very disappointed in the school administration for not putting a stop to this once they saw what was going on and understood what was happening. I am a little surprised the students did not rebel.

I have a hard time imagining my entire high school submitting to this when I was a student. One or two, maybe, but the whole school? I think not. That was a different generation, though. Everybody is passive now.

·
I watch the watchers
12,885 Posts
"Never argue with the cops on the side of the road", isn't that what everyone is told? "Do whatever the nice policeman says, and then settle things in court.... if you have the money to bring suit."

People have been well trained to roll over on their backs and pee themselves like little puppies.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Any of you been to Worth County? Small place, everyone knows everyone. Sheriff is rather powerful and from all the stories the Sheriff personally was present. A regular Superintendent might, MIGHT, have had the gravitas to stand up to the Sheriff but an interim superintendent...no way. Not condoning it at all. But in small, rural counties there isn't often a figure more powerful than the Sheriff.

·
69,784 Posts
quit complaining. you say you need government, you're getting it.
That's an idiotic post.

I can never, ever be disappointed in anything government does, because I am a "statist," according to phaed.

At what point did you lose all ability to reason or draw any distinction other then "anarchy, good, everything else, the same?" Under your worldview, even a "minarchist" (I believe that is your term) cannot be slightly disappointed with any government action, no matter how extreme. By failing to "check out" of society and debate and pretend he is living in anarchy fantasyland, the minarchist necessarily supports what happened in Worth County, and, I presume, even mass starvation in North Korea. It's all one and the same, since he is a statist.

The logical fallacies required for you to make these sorts of arguments boggle the mind, which is ironic given the weight you supposedly place upon logic.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I am very disappointed in the school administration for not putting a stop to this once they saw what was going on and understood what was happening. I am a little surprised the students did not rebel.

I have a hard time imagining my entire high school submitting to this when I was a student. One or two, maybe, but the whole school? I think not. That was a different generation, though. Everybody is passive now.
How would the administration put a stop to it?

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
That's an idiotic post.

I can never, ever be disappointed in anything government does, because I am a "statist," according to phaed.

At what point did you lose all ability to reason or draw any distinction other then "anarchy, good, everything else, the same?" Under your worldview, even a "minarchist" (I believe that is your term) cannot be slightly disappointed with any government action, no matter how extreme. By failing to "check out" of society and debate and pretend he is living in anarchy fantasyland, the minarchist necessarily supports what happened in Worth County, and, I presume, even mass starvation in North Korea. It's all one and the same, since he is a statist.

The logical fallacies required for you to make these sorts of arguments boggle the mind, which is ironic given the weight you supposedly place upon logic.
i don't think you understand what all giving another man authority over you entails. you don't get to dictate his behavior; it's the other way around. why would complaining about that situation be logical, regardless of degree?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Training for tyranny

This EVIL ******* violated 900 of our children's Constitutional rights. Not to mention traumatizing them. This EVIL ******* SHOULD BE BURNED AT THE STAKE!!! Or is this training for a younger generation to accept a future of tyranny??? WHAT HAPPENED TO AMERICA?

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
Now this is s—posting! :lol:

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
This EVIL ******* violated 900 of our children's Constitutional rights. Not to mention traumatizing them. This EVIL ******* SHOULD BE BURNED AT THE STAKE!!! Or is this training for a younger generation to accept a future of tyranny??? WHAT HAPPENED TO AMERICA?
YES! Stake that damn sheriff to the ground naked! Pour honey over his nether regions and let the ants mete out righteous justice! :groupprotest:

Oh, and welcome to GCO.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nah, don't bother the ants. Just let him be drawn and quartered, boiled in oil, and then burned at the stake. That should teach him.

Nemo

·
American
3,289 Posts
Lawsuits filed in Middle District of GA Federal court. School district states students accounts of being searched aggressively "essentially correct". It has hit the national news. Another positive step for Georgia's image ](*,)

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
Seems legit considering we live in a police state and basically what equates to an open-air prison.

I'm sure it passes constitutional muster on Fourth Amendment grounds, because of our corrupt Supreme Court Justices who are nothing more than activist judges writing law from the bench.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts