Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
69,318 Posts
Yes, they exist, but you have to go spend 6-8 weeks of full time training to get your POST certification first.

AND - you really need to do it full time or a while first. You will always be an outsider, never fully aware of what the job entails as a part-timer or reservist.

But the short answer is yes, such positions do exist, although I believe they are getting rarer as time goes by.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have a better question(s).

Why do government employees (Judges, LEOs, etc.) get special carry and immunity privileges that citizens do not get?

What ever happened to "equal protection under the law"?

How is this not seen as a ruling class vs. peasants?

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
We can fly with guns too. Just the way the rules are. WE are presumed to hold a special public trust, and part of extending that trust is for the legislature to assume that we are worthy of being armed almost anywhere.
However, in assuming that public trust we also subject ourselves to public scrutiny, POST certification requirements, and lose some of our rights to what most folks would consider free speach and some due process.
There is never a free lunch.....

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just the way the rules are.
I thought the U.S. Constitution dictated the rules as in "shall not be infringed."

WE are presumed to hold a special public trust...
So does that mean average joes like me can't be trusted to carry a firearm because I don't have a badge on my shirt? Am I morally inferior to those that wear a badge?

However, in assuming that public trust we also subject ourselves to public scrutiny
Absolutely. LE officers are public servants and are funded by local taxpayers.

There is never a free lunch.
I don't know about that, Sheriff. Most men and women in uniform, like the rest of us, are human. They make honest mistakes and there are even a few who are corrupt. Yet they often receive special treatment (ie not arrested or charged) for acts that would get non-LEs arrested, charged, imprisoned, interrogated, and out right humiliated. Take a look at the "Only One" stories...they go on and on and on...

http://www.google.com/search?q="onl...ot.com&hl=en&lr=lang_en&safe=off&start=0&sa=N

·
Registered
532 Posts
I know many LEOs, and they can't voice how they feel because it can impact their jobs. Politics affect their jobs much more than most other people.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts