Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a little hazy on the laws regarding park carry. i enjoy camping and going to the park with my dog etc. my question is if there is nothing specifically posted on the sign for the park is carry still off-limits? i have gotten mixed answers, especially on campground questions. some say yes off limits, some say it has to be posted, and some say parks are not off limits? ANyone have a clear answer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,594 Posts
Paczowski123 said:
I am a little hazy on the laws regarding park carry. i enjoy camping and going to the park with my dog etc. my question is if there is nothing specifically posted on the sign for the park is carry still off-limits? i have gotten mixed answers, especially on campground questions. some say yes off limits, some say it has to be posted, and some say parks are not off limits? ANyone have a clear answer?
Carry all you want. They are not off limits, even if they happen to still display a "No Firearms" sign.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
Depends on what park. Assuming you have a GWL. Alot of Parks/campgrounds around lakes and rivers are Corp of engineer land and its a big NO NO to carry on Corps land.
I think besides that your good to carry at any park/campground.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,120 Posts
All Ga State Parks and the buildings on them are legal to carry at/in.

Like stated before, COE campgrounds are a big no, no.
 

·
GeePeeDoHolic
Joined
·
6,405 Posts
Suburbbus said:
All Ga State Parks and the buildings on them are legal to carry at/in.

Like stated before, COE campgrounds are a big no, no.
I think it depends on the actual park. Some state parks (like Red Top? Not sure) are actually rented from Federal land and are also a no-no.

Somewhere in the GA state parks website is a list of parks like that.

(Yes. It's absolutely stupid the law expects you to know who's on the deed to know which law applies. )

"parks" can be county (yes), state (yes), federal land(maybe), CoE(no), National Park (yes), etc

Even though state law trumps county for firearm pre-emption, there is one county park (Hall) managed in concert with CoE. Is it a county park or a CoE park? I don't know.

Depends on what the controlling legal authority is. That may be why you're getting conflicting answers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,447 Posts
Suburbbus said:
All Ga State Parks and the buildings on them are legal to carry at/in.

Like stated before, COE campgrounds are a big no, no.
I thought any buildings containing actual DNR employees was off limits? for example amicalola falls has a visitor center/office after you enter the park. Theres GOV employees that work inside that building. This would be considered off limits correct?

Building in question:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
From the Gun laws section of this site:
Without a valid license to carry when carrying a handgun (as defined at the top of this page) it is unlawful for any person to use or possess in any park, historic site, or recreational area any firearms (with a WCL/GFL it is also legal to carry that handgun into buildings on the property).
Now my only question is does the building fall under a Government building because they house offices of the employees of a State Department (DNR)?? :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,447 Posts
db10bo said:
From the Gun laws section of this site:
Without a valid license to carry when carrying a handgun (as defined at the top of this page) it is unlawful for any person to use or possess in any park, historic site, or recreational area any firearms (with a WCL/GFL it is also legal to carry that handgun into buildings on the property).
Now my only question is does the building fall under a Government building because they house offices of the employees of a State Department (DNR)?? :?
Great question!!! :banghead:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
Weapons: Bows and arrows, explosives, fireworks, slingshots, fishing spears or any device that discharges projectiles by any means is prohibited. Firearms must be unloaded, cased and stored, unless a person possesses a valid weapons-carry license for a firearm that is valid in Georgia. A person possessing a valid weapon-carry license to carry a firearm valid in this state may carry such firearm on Georgia State Parks and Historic Sites, except on sites where carrying such firearm is prohibited by federal law. Firearms except those that are unloaded, cased and stored are not permitted on sites that are leased, federal Army Corps of Engineers property, including:
Red Top Mountain
Seminole
George T. Bagby
Florence Marina
Tugaloo
Hart
Bobby Brown
Richard B. Russell
Elijah Clark
Mistletoe

Reciprocal Firearms Agreements
Some states have reciprocal firearms agreements with Georgia, and their citizens may possess a firearm as long as they possess a valid weapons carry permit from their respective state. These include:
Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Wyoming.
http://www.gastateparks.org/net/content ... 4493.0.1.5
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
O.C.G.A. Section 16-11-126, sub-section (g), as amended by SB 308:

(g) Notwithstanding Code Sections 12-3-10, 27-3-1.1, 27-3-6, and 16-12-122 through 108 16-12-127, any person with a valid weapons carry license may carry a weapon in all parks, historic sites, or recreational areas, as such term is defined in Code Section 12-3-10, including all publicly owned buildings located in such parks, historic sites, and recreational areas, in wildlife management areas, and on public transportation; provided, however, that a person shall not carry a handgun into a place where it is prohibited by federal law.
That last bit being Corps of Engineer property.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
TippinTaco said:
db10bo said:
From the Gun laws section of this site:
Without a valid license to carry when carrying a handgun (as defined at the top of this page) it is unlawful for any person to use or possess in any park, historic site, or recreational area any firearms (with a WCL/GFL it is also legal to carry that handgun into buildings on the property).
If that is what it says in the Gun Laws section, I would argue with that. It is illegal to carry without a GWL, but not to possess an unloaded, cased, and stored firearm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
TippinTaco said:
lets just say this: theres obvious a lot of gray areas in this discussion...
Don't see how that's true, Tippin. You can carry anywhere in any state park not on COE property, and they are listed right there on the DNR website. The exception from the government entities restriction is spelled out clearly in the law.

There is still way to much gray in GA gun law, true, but I don't see it here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,447 Posts
RecoveringYankee said:
TippinTaco said:
lets just say this: theres obvious a lot of gray areas in this discussion...
Don't see how that's true, Tippin. You can carry anywhere in any state park not on COE property, and they are listed right there on the DNR website. The exception from the government entities restriction is spelled out clearly in the law.

There is still way to much gray in GA gun law, true, but I don't see it here.
My question was: Am I able to carry into the Ami Visitor Center? Theres GOV officials that work there and are officed there. It's a public building. I've read the state park law over and over again and unfortunately to me it looks like I'm prohibited from carrying inside that building. Can you show me how this wouldnt be the case with other than your own interpetation of the law?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,120 Posts
RecoveringYankee said:
Weapons: Bows and arrows, explosives, fireworks, slingshots, fishing spears or any device that discharges projectiles by any means is prohibited. Firearms must be unloaded, cased and stored, unless a person possesses a valid weapons-carry license for a firearm that is valid in Georgia. A person possessing a valid weapon-carry license to carry a firearm valid in this state may carry such firearm on Georgia State Parks and Historic Sites, except on sites where carrying such firearm is prohibited by federal law. Firearms except those that are unloaded, cased and stored are not permitted on sites that are leased, federal Army Corps of Engineers property, including:
Red Top Mountain
Seminole
George T. Bagby
Florence Marina
Tugaloo
Hart
Bobby Brown
Richard B. Russell
Elijah Clark
Mistletoe

Reciprocal Firearms Agreements
Some states have reciprocal firearms agreements with Georgia, and their citizens may possess a firearm as long as they possess a valid weapons carry permit from their respective state. These include:
Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Wyoming.
http://www.gastateparks.org/net/content ... 4493.0.1.5
Yep, that is the list. I had forgotten about the few that are on land leased from COE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,120 Posts
Suburbbus said:
RecoveringYankee said:
Weapons: Bows and arrows, explosives, fireworks, slingshots, fishing spears or any device that discharges projectiles by any means is prohibited. Firearms must be unloaded, cased and stored, unless a person possesses a valid weapons-carry license for a firearm that is valid in Georgia. A person possessing a valid weapon-carry license to carry a firearm valid in this state may carry such firearm on Georgia State Parks and Historic Sites, except on sites where carrying such firearm is prohibited by federal law. Firearms except those that are unloaded, cased and stored are not permitted on sites that are leased, federal Army Corps of Engineers property, including:
Red Top Mountain
Seminole
George T. Bagby
Florence Marina
Tugaloo
Hart
Bobby Brown
Richard B. Russell
Elijah Clark
Mistletoe

Reciprocal Firearms Agreements
Some states have reciprocal firearms agreements with Georgia, and their citizens may possess a firearm as long as they possess a valid weapons carry permit from their respective state. These include:
Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Wyoming.
http://www.gastateparks.org/net/content ... 4493.0.1.5
Yep, that is the list. I had forgotten about the few that are on land leased from COE.
The way I read part of that is that at least on those areas leased from COE, I can have my firearms with me in vehicle or trailer while camping as long as they are unloaded and stored. Beats leaving it at home for someone to possibly steal while I am gone.

But, the way I understand it is that on COE campgrounds you cannot have a firearm period. Not unloaded or cased or anyway at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
Suburbbus said:
Suburbbus said:
RecoveringYankee said:
Weapons: Bows and arrows, explosives, fireworks, slingshots, fishing spears or any device that discharges projectiles by any means is prohibited. Firearms must be unloaded, cased and stored, unless a person possesses a valid weapons-carry license for a firearm that is valid in Georgia. A person possessing a valid weapon-carry license to carry a firearm valid in this state may carry such firearm on Georgia State Parks and Historic Sites, except on sites where carrying such firearm is prohibited by federal law. Firearms except those that are unloaded, cased and stored are not permitted on sites that are leased, federal Army Corps of Engineers property, including:
Red Top Mountain
Seminole
George T. Bagby
Florence Marina
Tugaloo
Hart
Bobby Brown
Richard B. Russell
Elijah Clark
Mistletoe

Reciprocal Firearms Agreements
Some states have reciprocal firearms agreements with Georgia, and their citizens may possess a firearm as long as they possess a valid weapons carry permit from their respective state. These include:
Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Wyoming.
http://www.gastateparks.org/net/content ... 4493.0.1.5
Yep, that is the list. I had forgotten about the few that are on land leased from COE.
The way I read part of that is that at least on those areas leased from COE, I can have my firearms with me in vehicle or trailer while camping as long as they are unloaded and stored. Beats leaving it at home for someone to possibly steal while I am gone.

But, the way I understand it is that on COE campgrounds you cannot have a firearm period. Not unloaded or cased or anyway at all.
That is the way I read the state law. Not so sure the COE sees it the same way. Their website doesn't make any distinction that I recall for allowing you to transport onto state parks on corps land. I have not looked up the law that backs up that corps rule.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
TippinTaco said:
RecoveringYankee said:
TippinTaco said:
lets just say this: theres obvious a lot of gray areas in this discussion...
Don't see how that's true, Tippin. You can carry anywhere in any state park not on COE property, and they are listed right there on the DNR website. The exception from the government entities restriction is spelled out clearly in the law.

There is still way to much gray in GA gun law, true, but I don't see it here.
My question was: Am I able to carry into the Ami Visitor Center? Theres GOV officials that work there and are officed there. It's a public building. I've read the state park law over and over again and unfortunately to me it looks like I'm prohibited from carrying inside that building. Can you show me how this wouldnt be the case with other than your own interpetation of the law?
Sure. The law regarding weapons in parks is at Section 12-3-10(o). Sub-section (2) says it is unlawful to use or possess firearms other than a handgun. Sub-section (3) says it is unlawful to use or possess a handgun without a valid weapons carry license. Buildings are not addressed at all with respect to weapons, that I saw. Either you can possess a handgun, or you can't, and it says you can with a GWL.

Section 16-11-126 says very clearly that if you have a GWL, you can carry in all parks "including all publicly owned buildings" (with the above-noted COE exception).

Since Amicolola Falls is not one of the parks on COE land, you can carry into their visitor center, lodge, rest rooms, or any other building. I would have carried into the visitor center, but the building was locked up the day we went there to do the geocaching state park challenge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
OP I notice your from kennesaw, I'm from Canton. Most of Allatoona lake and lake Lanier are Corp land along with all the Parks and camps around it. Also Boiling park in Canton is Corp land even tho its not listed as such. Rope Mill park in Woodstock is too. Id imagine most Parks that are along body of water are Corps. Just checked Heritage park behind ingels in Canton is NOT corps land.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sorry i have not gotten back in a while, but the main park in question would be red top mountain park...this is where most camping will be done since the ease and availability. since its corp. It seems red top mountain is COE so in the georgia parks website it clearly states no so im leaning towards no.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top