Parking lots of federal property?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by martin_j001, Sep 26, 2010.

1. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

I work at the Centers for Disease Control near Emory University. Getting onto the CDC campus requires going past guards, through a checkpoint--whether walking or driving. I know that recently laws went into effect allowing possession of firearms at least into the parking lots of places off limits--does this apply to federal properties too? Would one be allowed to have a firearm in a locked glovebox on this property, or am I SOL and needing to find a public parking area if I want to exercise my 2A rights on the way to and from work?

2. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I'm probably wrong, but government buildings are government buildings in my book. Nothing in the law specifies state or federal government. I think you're fine with a weapon in your vehicle. Now we'll wait for the rest of the crew to chime in.

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

what federal agency or department is the CDC under?
    Has that agency created any "rules" regarding weapons?
    Is there an empoyee handbook that addresses this issue?
    Does it cite to any law or regulation as the source of authority for banning weapons on the property?

4. elevatorman

elevatorman Member

I think Fed property is off limits my wife works for the USPS and they are forbidden to bring any weapons on their property.

5. elevatorman

elevatorman Member

here is a link and it doesnt say anything about the parkinglot http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/us ... -000-.html
    it does say at the bottom of the first page that it has to be displayed at the entrance to the building

h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.

6. martin_j001

CDC is part of the Department of Health and Human Services. I'm actually a contractor with them, so not sure if there is an "employee handbook", but I can look into it tomorrow. On the one hand I'd like to think its not much different than any other state gov't bldg--if I leave it in the parking lot it should be ok. On the other hand, I'd like to know for sure.

7. martin_j001

I will add that I recently entered my building to be greeted by metal detectors (a random thing they do occasionally), so I put my pocketknife (a 3" CRKT M-16) along with the rest of my belongings and a security guard measured it and said "it'd under 3" its ok" and handed it back to me to continue on my way. Almost seemed they were deferring to state/local laws on the blade length....

8. elevatorman

elevatorman Member

The CDC is federal and doent apply to state law

9. martin_j001

elevatorman--that part about the notice being posted has my hopes up a little, I have noticed no such signage at any entrance to the CDC campus. I'll be extra observant tomorrow morning when I go in though.

10. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

There's also nothing in the law that stipulates federal vs. state building. Unless posted, or in a an employee handbook, he's good to go.

Understood, your wife works for the USPS, but laws are unique to the Post Office. I, as a customer, park in the parking lot every day, and leave a firearm in my truck. Parking, with a weapon, in the secure are of the lot (usually around the loading docks) is prohibited. My postman parks at a neighboring BP station during hunting season.

11. elevatorman

elevatorman Member

that is just saying about inside the buildings as far as I see there is nothing talking about the parking lot. I have been to the CDC and they search my truck I dont know what would happen if they found it and I dont want to find out so I would hid it good and wouldnt tell anyone. That is what I would and have done.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Why on earth do you think notice has to be a sign?

13. martin_j001

Ok, good point malum. I don't recall ever seeing such a sign anywhere on the campus at all either. I will look for an employee handbook tomorrow and see what it says. In regards to your link, I wonder what would constitute "into a federal facility"? If I pass through a security checkpoint, does that constitute "into a federal facility"? I'm hoping a clear and straightforward answer may be available to employees in some documentation.

ETA: in response to the idea that it may not need to be a sign, it sounds like a verbal or written notification of any kind may be upheld if it hits a court of law--so again I'll need to refer to an employee handbook if such a thing exists.

14. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Ahem, in a word...don't. You'll get fired in a heartbeat. It's federal off-limits property period, unless you're an on-duty guard authorized to carry there, or a police officer. You can't even have it locked in your car in the trunk. Trust me on this. I know, it sucks. But if you value your job... You may even face federal charges.

15. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

What state law in GA says anything about a 3 inch knife?

16. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

Anyone ever wonder why the anti-gun control crowd says "The 2A only applies to FED government..." yet, every FED government agency says "well, see, now.....we don't allow.......even on the property.....pocket knifes?...no......"

17. martin_j001

I'm not sure, in all honesty, as I haven't ever given much thought to laws regarding pocketknives in the past--I usually don't carry anything over 3" anyways. I should have been more clear and added "...or something" to the end of the post you quoted--meaning I'm not sure what "rule" they were following in this procedure--whether it was some state/local law or something federal they were following.

Still working at finding an employee handbook....

ETA...the link posted earlier to http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/us ... -000-.html mentions knives less than 2.5" not being considered weapons, so not sure what the guard was thinking or what rule/regulation they were following allowing me in with a 3" blade...

Also, from section "g" of that link, we have "The term “Federal facility†means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties." So considering the parking deck is owned by the gov't and employees are obviously present, looks like that makes it NOT GTG.???? :(

Now to find public parking in the area. :)

18. RecoveringYankee

RecoveringYankee New Member

USC 18.1.44.930

Edited to remove non-pertinent portions. OK, here's what I see.

A) "Federal facility means a building or part thereof". Absolutely nothing about parking lots.

B) The limit for a pocket knife is 2 1/2 inches, not 3 inches.

C) Notice has to be posted unless you have "actual notice" of this law. Does this count? I am not even going to try to devine the meaning of this phrase. I will leave that to the legal eagles here. But it seems to me that, at the very least, the employees in the building have been put on notice, signs or not.

19. martin_j001

^^The part about the definition of a federal facility has me wondering a bit too.